Thread: possible first tournament

Thanks

Default possible first tournament

im a little iffy on entering this local tournament.. for sparring.. since i dont know enough weapons, or forms to really feel worth entering.. i just never worked sparring much, maybe a handfull of times.. i was planning on just going to watch, then one of the ppl in class was like "nah man you should enter, dont worry iv only sparred a few times and theyv all been at tournaments"

im thinking about it.. i think the entry is like $40.. which would suck if i got eliminated right away. ya know? i dunno how these things work.. im hoping its continuous point.. cos i couldnt stand being split up every 5 seconds. im a kenpoist damnit! im just confused cos theres nobody around my level at my school.. theres one kid i sparred with once that was about my level, and agressive.. i had to work for my hits. it was so fun.. but he rarely shows up, and im afraid i might hurt him or somethin (hes like 14, im 22).. i could ask to train with one of the black belts, but i dont learn by being overwhelmed or toyed with. that and i think one of them is entering, so i dont wanna hold back his training.

i think itd be fun to enter. but i dont want it to be a waste of my time and money. :-\

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: possible first tournament

I entered my first tournament with absolutely no sparring experience. No I didn't win but, I had a lot of fun. The only thing that I had any concept of was the self-defense techs. So, that is what I used. I actually did very well al things considered.

IMHO, if you want to enter the tournament don't look at it as a loss of moneyibut, the gaining of experience. Even if you are eliminated quickly, hang around and watch. You are bound to learn something by watching that many different people and styles.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Most tournaments are point tournaments and require safety gear in order to compete.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Most tournaments are point tournaments and require safety gear in order to compete.
    Gear I have, and the only thing i worry about is getting my nose broken by accident lol.. i just dont like whatever flow i get going to be messed up by splitting up after each point. its psychological too, if i dont know the points or odds, i wont care. :-p

Thanks

To me it sounds like you are already looking for reasons not to like it or attend.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku
    Gear I have, and the only thing i worry about is getting my nose broken by accident lol.. i just dont like whatever flow i get going to be messed up by splitting up after each point. its psychological too, if i dont know the points or odds, i wont care. :-p
    Only the organizers of the event can tell you how the event will be judged.

The organizers will also be able to tell you if shots to the head are allowed.

If a broken nose is a long-term concern, consider investing in some metal-fortified headgear that will absorb impact and deflect the blow of the punch away from one's face.

If this tournament is not where you want to be right now for whatever reason, there is nothing wrong with not going. Tournaments in general are a lot more fun when the competitors go to play hard, have fun, and are stoked to be there no matter what the outcome is.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

If a broken nose is a major concern..... you shouldn't be taking martial arts!! LOL. But I don't think you'd have to worry about that anyway. Most point-sparring rules don't allow direct blows to the face. What!? Yup, it's true. Doesn't mean you wouldn't get tagged, but it reduces the risk.

I say do it! Who cares if you win a "point" or not? It's good excercise and the experience could add to your overall training. You never know.... you might come out the victor!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    If a broken nose is a major concern..... you shouldn't be taking martial arts!! LOL.
    I don't necessarily agree, CC.

Certainly Kenpo is a contact sport, but contact still has to be done responsibly. If this tournament was such where it was not unusual for the competitors to walk away with broken noses, split lips, cracked ribs...that wouldn't be the kind of thing that I would go for either.

Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with someone training in MA and not wanting to get their face messed up. I have braces on my teeth and after investing the time and money to get my smile straightened out, I'd sure hate to get it messed up again. But, that doesn't mean I won't train either.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

im thinking about it.. i think the entry is like $40.. which would suck if i got eliminated right away. ya know?
    This used to happen to me almost every time. Go for the experience, meet new people, develop friendships. There's nothing better than making new karate buddies. 'Ya never know but someone across the street may be taking martial arts somewhere else and you'd never know it. Unless you really need the 40bucks I'd go just for the experience.

Thanks

If you need the money keep it...if not, go have fun. Regret what you did, not what you didn't do.

Tournaments are fun
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Or.....go watch and see what it is all about for future reference. At any rate, have fun and good luck!
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

Thanks

imma go and compete, i can spare the $40.. interesting thing is the $40 covers 2 events out of the 4.. sparring, weapons, kata, and self defense.. i dunno how the self defense thing works in tournaments so ill prolly ask my teacher if he can give me some insights to what i could do that wouldnt bore the judges :-p

Thanks

imma go and compete, i can spare the $40.. interesting thing is the $40 covers 2 events out of the 4.. sparring, weapons, kata, and self defense.. i dunno how the self defense thing works in tournaments so ill prolly ask my teacher if he can give me some insights to what i could do that wouldnt bore the judges :-p
    Most tournament packages come with a complete set of rules for each division.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    Just go into it with an open mind and have fun. You mentioned earlier about asking one of the bb's to work with you but are concerned about being toyed with. I would suggest that any bb worth his/her salt will help you learn and not use the opportuntiy to get an ego boost. A bb should be able to fight at your level with just enough extra to give you a challenge but not to discourage you.

Thanks

im a little iffy on entering this local tournament.. for sparring.. since i dont know enough weapons, or forms to really feel worth entering.. i just never worked sparring much, maybe a handfull of times.. i was planning on just going to watch, then one of the ppl in class was like "nah man you should enter, dont worry iv only sparred a few times and theyv all been at tournaments"

im thinking about it.. i think the entry is like $40.. which would suck if i got eliminated right away. ya know? i dunno how these things work.. im hoping its continuous point.. cos i couldnt stand being split up every 5 seconds. im a kenpoist damnit! im just confused cos theres nobody around my level at my school.. theres one kid i sparred with once that was about my level, and agressive.. i had to work for my hits. it was so fun.. but he rarely shows up, and im afraid i might hurt him or somethin (hes like 14, im 22).. i could ask to train with one of the black belts, but i dont learn by being overwhelmed or toyed with. that and i think one of them is entering, so i dont wanna hold back his training.

i think itd be fun to enter. but i dont want it to be a waste of my time and money. :-\
    Either way you will come away with something positive. I say go for it!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

So what ever happened? Did you compete?

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Worried about Injuries? Most Tournaments don"t allow face contact at all for lower Belts. Not to say someone might slip and hit you in the face. If he does he wiil probably get warned or disqualified. Also all the tournaments require
    Head and all safety gear. Don't sweat it you will probably live through it.

Another question. Why are you afraid to spar with the Black Belts in the school? They have or should have a lot better control than any lower belt you could spar with. It has been my experience that most injuries comes from lower belts sparring together as they don't have good control of their strikes. Talk to some of your Black Belts about it you will find that they can give you a lot of pointers on how to win.

Enter and have fun!!! Good Luck

Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: possible first tournament

Perhaps this should be filed under the Better Late than Never File, but...don't sweat the tournement. There's every possibility the people you fight, are in the same boat you are, this may well be their first tournement as well. The only way to gain experience in this, is to jump in and do it. Next time, you'll have a better idea of what it's all about. There is only one "First Tournement", get it behind you and move forward. The number of serious injuries I have seen in 35 plus years of tournement competition, is pretty minimal. That's why the judges and referees are there, to keep things under control. Don't worry so much about that aspect, worry about having a good time and learning something from the experience. Watch what the other school's people are doing, how they move, what works for them and what doesn't. Tournements are great opportunities to see what else is out there.

As to the classroom? I echo Sifu Roy's sentiment in; don't fear fighting the upperbelts. That is where you will really learn something. Very few blackbelts are going to go out of their way to beat you senseless in class...(today anyway). The upper belts have the experience and control to help guide you in sparring. They also have a greater vocabulary or arsenal of techniques and can probably help you with what will work for you. Generally a blackbelt, is going to fight just slightly above your level, in order to push you a bit and stretch your abilities. Seek out the higher ranks, as often as possible. How much can you really learn, from others who are at or below your rank and experience? (These two things are not always one and the same)
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

I posted a follow up.. just not in this thread, like i prolly should have
    Completed my first tournament

if i can ever get the video to the computer ill show ya all the sparring match.. its not somuch fear of training with the black belts.. its more.. i dont learn like that.. i learn from experiance with ppl around my level.. getting hit, and actually spotting mistakes the other person makes (like the blue belt at that tournament, he kept doing spinning back kicks.. like i wouldnt see him getting ready? lol)

oh yeah and Capitol was pretty fun.. i thought i posted a reply but i guess not. if you all wanna know how Capitol went im gonna post it here.. id link my myspace or livejournal. but they're both friends only. haha so here it is

"wow.. these things are addictive.. i entered a tournament like 2 weeks ago and had fun.. only 2 ppl i went against.. in Kata/Forms i won first place cos the other guy's kata was kinda.. very boring and simple.. however he won first place in breaking (breaking bricks and boards and stuff) so hey.. rock on..

got second place in sparring agaisnt someone.. there was nobody in his division, and their was nobody in mine (i was in beginner, he was intermediate) so we both went at it..lost by 1 point.. ah well i earned it..

so this past weekend I went up with Mr. Smith to the Capitol Classics tournament in DC.. well actually Arlington, VA since he goes to help Judge black belt events and scout for Team America, and socialize.. I had fun.. sat around waiting alot.. like 8 ppl in my Kata division.. and im the last person in line for scores.. ugh.. and they were all doing Godzilla-fu.. WIDE ass stances, 2-3 hits and ludicrously loud/long kiais (shouts), take a DEEP step into another deep stance, lather rinse repeat.... gotta love traditionalist judges when yer doing a modern/semi-modern art..

sparring i got second place out of 3 ppl.. the guy i went against first was okay (White belt).. and the match was give and take.. i like those matches... the last point i scored was actually a kick to the head (kicks were 2points at this tournament).. the guy i faced after him.. owned my ass.. also an Orange belt.. damn good/fast feet.. got me with at least 2 kicks.. good control too, i didnt feel them after the match.. steped over my big toe, before kicking the white belt in the head lol).. so thats sore and bruised, and i never really bruise.. haha ah well

so now i have a tournament coming up in september in OC i think.. as well as a tournamnet that Mr. Smith puts on every year in October... im getting addicted to these damn things.. oh and since i placed in those two tournaments, im eligable to go to Ireland next year for a world tournament. sweet..
    "

didnt go to the one in OC cos i was out of a job then (still am actually :-\ ) and my teacher didnt have his seasonal tournament due to complications with the place he was gonna host it.. ill be going back to the same place i won that first local tournament at in february. this time ill be doing self defense and a weapons form tho. im having trouble coming up with the funds for Ireland in April (esp since iv been living off savings since october). but i have a feeling ill be able to make it.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Your first tournament. Do you know what your worst enemy is? It is the clock. You have 2 minutes to make it happen. If someone scores on you you have to score back right away. If you don't then all he has to do is run backwards until the time is up and he wins. Be sure you practice in your school working within time limits. You don't have all the time in the world to score back. Most people in their first tournament forget this in the excitement. Don't you be one of them. Good Luck!!!

I am most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links