Thread: Combat Hapkido

Thanks

Default Combat Hapkido

So I was bored the other day since no one had posted anything new here. And I went to http://www.google.com/search?q=forne...ages&hl=en&lr= just wondering how many martial arts schools and what styles are around me. With in a 25 mile area of me anyway I am not looking to change schools or styles but was just curious. As it turned out I have 53 martial arts schools with in 25 miles of Forney. I have three TKD schools with in 3 miles of my house and a mix of other styles and schools. But only one Kenpo school and that is the one I attend. Well I came across a school that caught my eye since I have never heard of this style “Combat Hapkido” I went to all the different areas of this schools website then to the profile of the head instructor. That is where to me it seemed strange. Turns out this instructor holds a 4th and a 3rd Hap, and TKD. Ok sounds good till I was reading about “Combat Hapkido and that this person states he is now a grand master and creator of Combat Hapkido and that it took him 30 years to create this style. So my big question and yes it has come up before about other people reaching a certain rank then breaking off proclaiming them self Grand Master and teaching some style “They invented”. Does this happen a lot; wouldn’t some one in that style or one close to that style challenge these people? I would think this type of behavior would reflect badly on TKD and Hapkido organizations alike? I am not going to post a link to this school or name any names but it just rubbed me wrong when I was reading what this person said about him self.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Combat Hapkido

Do you have the link for that school? The founder (John Pellegrini) of Combat Hapkido is a very senior hapkido practitioner. According to the website he received his 9th dan in Korea in 2004.
    More Shugyo!

Thanks

Yes I have a link but I don’t want to post it here as I didn’t start the thread to bash this guy. No his name is not John Pellegrini and I am sure Mr. Pellegrini would be more than a little upset with this other person making his claims. Again I have no idea to the validity of this other person in question. When I read what was listed on this website it made me wonder if in fact he is a fraud then how are people like this able to continue with these practices. Why is it that these people are never “called out” for lack of a better word. If some one were open a school and list that they are a Grand Master of Kenpo and had created some altered version of Kenpo that took them 30 years and “is not a blending of Kenpo and another style” but some thing they themselves created. I would have to think the line of people to raise the BS flag would be a pretty long line? And it would soon make it’s self very apparent that this person was a fake. But my point is how can so many people get away with this?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

It is amazing people can still claim all kinds of rank anymore. The internet has allowed people to easily check up on most of these claims. But, I it still happens.
    More Shugyo!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Buyer beware
    There is no official governing entity to regulate this sort of thing. The only protection lies in copywrighted material. In today`s world anyone can claim to be a master of whatever they like and there is nothing you can do about it because it is not illegal. You would have to prove they are committing fraud or some other crime. Good luck with that. There`s s guy thst`s been teaching TKD here for over 20 years and advertises in the phone book that he is the `Father of TKD`. No kidding.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

John Pellegrini founded Combat Hapkido when he started to lose his flexibility in his TKD practice. How do I know this? I trained at his school in the early 90's in Plantation FLA.

Not to bash John P. but some question his Hapkido line also. The guy is a great promoter and dedicated to his system.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

People can wear whatever rank they want, as far as I'm concerned....
    Let me watch them move, or better yet.....FEEEEEL them move.
    Then I'll know their quality.

I've heard Lots of different things about Mr. P..
    I'll say this though: I've known two instructors in his system, one couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag with a stick..
    the other one I'd choose to be in my fox-hole anyday and was a true warrior:
    Can't tell you anything other than this.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Ive been to two seminars by Mr. Pellegrinni, both here in Texas. His system is effective, and blends well with kenpo. I was fortunate enough to be his uke for a lock flow demonstration; everytime I thought I'd be able to pull out, I ended up on my ass. He is skilled, knowledgable, and passionate about Combat Hapkido. He has an older video series out, as well as a newer DVD series on his system. Ive seen the videos and they are very informative, professionally produced, and full of quality techniques.

Gary C.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links