Thread: Wanted: Mat time??

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default Wanted: Mat time??

Looking for suggestions around my predicament.

I work for an engineering company that requires 24x7 coverage by their engineers. My work hours are about to change/stabilize, which will put me on a 4PM - Midnight shift, Monday through Friday.

This means the only possible times I will be able to train are...Tuesday Midday (not always held during the summer), Thursday Midday, and Saturday Midday, if I stay with my present school.

For many reasons, the drive time beeing the biggest concern, I have been thinking about changing schools. Unfortunately, I have not seen many schools with any more day classes than what my current school has to offer.

Any suggestions?

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Default Re: Wanted: Mat time??

Find a reputable school.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

how far away from Revere Mass are you?? that is where Mrs.C's school is.. Revere Karate Acadamy i will pm you with a website.
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

Thanks

Her web site is partly under construction. How familiar are you with her school? She seems to have a little bit more on Saturdays...unfortunately it seems like nearly everyone just has day programs on Tue/Thu/Sat.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

you could always try private lessons... they will cost you more $$$ but you will be able to train when you can...see if your current school can do something for you as far as privates..

good luck to ya.. let me know how your search goes
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur
    Looking for suggestions around my predicament.

I work for an engineering company that requires 24x7 coverage by their engineers. My work hours are about to change/stabilize, which will put me on a 4PM - Midnight shift, Monday through Friday.

This means the only possible times I will be able to train are...Tuesday Midday (not always held during the summer), Thursday Midday, and Saturday Midday, if I stay with my present school.

For many reasons, the drive time beeing the biggest concern, I have been thinking about changing schools. Unfortunately, I have not seen many schools with any more day classes than what my current school has to offer.

Any suggestions?
    I'm in the exact situation you're in. I'm an engineer and work 3pm-midnight. I train at my school Monday and Saturday mornings and I drive all the way to NH. I've been trying to get together with people to work out with in the mornings/early afternoons. Me and gixxershane got together once but my wife and I just had a baby and that put an end to that for now.

I hesitate to recommend a school without knowing how far you're willing to drive and what kind of training you're after. Also how many times a week are you looking to train? Personally, I've always been a believer in quality over quantity.
    Tom Chase
    Universal Kenpo Federation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TChase
    I'm in the exact situation you're in. I'm an engineer and work 3pm-midnight. I train at my school Monday and Saturday mornings and I drive all the way to NH. I've been trying to get together with people to work out with in the mornings/early afternoons. Me and gixxershane got together once but my wife and I just had a baby and that put an end to that for now.

I hesitate to recommend a school without knowing how far you're willing to drive and what kind of training you're after. Also how many times a week are you looking to train? Personally, I've always been a believer in
    quality over quantity.
    Hearty congratulations to you and your wife for your new arrival! That is wonderful news!

As far as my training...I'll confess that at my level, I need both quality and quantity. I'm looking for a good quality program but I have also found that...I need mat time, and I need to be in front of either an intstructor or someone better than I am to correct my mistakes.

I'd be interested in learning where you train (share with me in a PM if you like) as I am leaning heavily towards training in NH...that is where my job is. I found a very good school up there...curious to know if it is the same one where you train.

As far as driving...I can make the occasional long trip but not on a regular basis. There is an underlying reason for that, I'd just prefer to keep the reason off a public forum.

If you get to a point where you can work out in the day again, perhaps we can coordinate something? Consider it an open offer

The instructors and the BB's at my school have been very very good to me. It is gut-wrenching for me to consider leaving. But, after walking on this path for awhile, I've realized that the path I'm going on leads to a worthy destination...but...it also leads to other worthy paths as well

Carol

Thanks

Hi.

I can understand the feeling about changing schools. I've done in myself more than a few times. It's hard to leave, but you will find that every instructor has something they are especially knowledgable about and if you have more instructors, you get more specialties. I've found this to be beneficial to my training.

If you can't find a school, make some friends from other schools. Or from your own who are free to train with you.

I've only recently found Tara (Shodan) to train with myself. I've spent the last several years mostly working out by myself (hence all the video) so I understand your situation. It's hard to self-correct, especially on techniques. Try videotaping your katas and such and then watch them along with some other people's katas to see where you can improve.

Maybe you'll be fortunate enough to find someone on this forum to workout with. I hope so!

And yes, contrats to the new daddy!

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

One thing you MAY try Carol, is to contact the head instructors of whatever schools you find and ask them if ANY of their students are in a similar situation time-wise. You may be pleasantly surprised to find a black belt or three who have similar time constraints and ALSO need mat-time with someone. This would be (probably) less expensive than regular private lessons and you'd perhaps be helpling someone else meet their needs in the process.

Never know till ya ask....

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you.

Carol, I sent you a pm.
    Tom Chase
    Universal Kenpo Federation

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links