Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Politics in Kenpo

Thanks

Default Politics in Kenpo

Can someone explain to me teh differant views from the differant associations that have managed to creat political infighting in Kenpo? Is it just egos of my variation is better than your variation? Or was there a split due to argument, or what?

Personally, I really dislike politics and that is one thing I really like about this board is that we all seem to be able to agree to disagree when it comes to small detailes in a technique... so why is it that people who do not even know one annother and have to go by text are able to do this and people who get together can't?
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

You could have possibly opened the biggest can of worms known to man.

Thanks

Default Re: Politics in Kenpo

Yes, I have a tendency to do things like that. But from what I have seen.. this is one of the few places I feel that we could come together and come up with a rational answer.

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

i try to stay out of the politics.. i really dont like drama and the way i look at it is, poitics is a nother word for drama.... one of the few reasons i joined the association im with is to verify rank... im not sure others look at it the same way or not, but i got into kenpo for selfdefense..i stayed in kenpo thus far becaus i love the art.. no where in my have i liked drama, so kenpo wasnt gonna start me to like drama

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I'm not sure, I'm a new comer to the game, but from what my instructor told me was when the Tracy's broke from Parker there was much name calling and gnashing of teeth. And it all kind of escallated from there. I do notice that the ones that point fingers the most seem to be the older "wiser" Black Belts that were around from the begining. That's just my point of view. I like this board much more thatn others, since it seems to avoid all that "you suck, your instructors a jerk" type stuff. My 2 cents worth....

Thanks

When there are people involved, egos are always present.

It always goes like that.

Someone has a good idea and starts to make it happen. Someone else will want think they can do it as well or that they want to be in charge and will branch off.

In this case, much of the split happened after Mr. Parker died without naming an heir. Mr. Parker left a bunch of very capable martial artists behind and nobody stood out as being the next #1 son.

So each attempted to make themselves distinct. You know how it goes: one of the ways of making yourself look better is to put down others. (that's not a truth, but it's what people think.)

After awhile, people start to believe their own press, I guess.

That's my guess of how it went.

The good thing that came of it is that with each person looking to make themselves distinct, they focused on different areas and made lots of strides towards improvement.

Again, just my guess.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gixxershane
    i try to stay out of the politics.. i really dont like drama and the way i look at it is, poitics is a nother word for drama.... one of the few reasons i joined the association im with is to verify rank... im not sure others look at it the same way or not, but i got into kenpo for selfdefense..i stayed in kenpo thus far becaus i love the art.. no where in my have i liked drama, so kenpo wasnt gonna start me to like drama
    Oh trust me.. I dont like Politics/drama either.. but I would like to understand it.. just ignoring it never helps.

It came to my attention taht some groups don't associate with othes becaue of "politics" I first thought well thats dumb.. and then I thought about it and realised.. no... it's sad.

So, it's more from personal splitting than an technical disagreement?

-JTHM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    After awhile, people start to believe their own press, I guess.

That's my guess of how it went.

The good thing that came of it is that with each person looking to make themselves distinct, they focused on different areas and made lots of strides towards improvement.

Again, just my guess.

--Amy
    Do you think that it is an attitude that is being passed down to the students or is the tension staying pretty much with the direct students of Master Parker and in time the associations will have better relations?

My last school was run by someone who split from the Larger TSD association and it was such an ugly split they tried to sue him for something or annother. Something about him not being allowed to call his school a TSD school... from what I understand it was a bunch of BS that really came down to money.. I don't knwo the detailes so I can't really say one way or the other.

I then saw first hand the effects of the bad blood in a tourney... it was really depressing.

-JTHM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    Do you think that it is an attitude that is being passed down to the students or is the tension staying pretty much with the direct students of Master Parker and in time the associations will have better relations?
    I think in time it'll be better. I don't care if people do the techniques the same exact way I do them. If their 'why' makes sense to me, then I'm good. If the technique works, then I'm good. As long as it works.

Same for mine. If mine doesn't work and they show me that, then I'll make changes so it does. I think I've been in several associations over the years. I never bothered to ask because it didn't matter to me.

So yes, I think it'll get better.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

Don't let politics get to you.....it's everwhere. Just train, have fun, be loyal to your instructor, and have an open mind when learning from others at seminars.

God Bless you in your journey.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Ohh no worries there.. I try to not let thigns get to me, but then again people in general get to me in the same way... I fall into my traing so that I can focus on nothing but my training and forget about the inconsistancies of mankind's enevitable falibility ... but I still like to understand the whys...ya know?

-JTHM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    You could have possibly opened the biggest can of worms known to man.
    You can say that again!

Kenpo associations do fight due to policits ... however when someone outside Kenpo attacks everyone joins together.

Wish it was like that all the time.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate
    Kenpo associations do fight due to policits ... however when someone outside Kenpo attacks everyone joins together.
    I guess it's kind of like siblings. I can mess with my sister all I want, but I'll kick your ass if you do.

--Amy

Thanks

So what your saying is that what we all need to do is in our own areas and start dropping challanges to all the local McDojo's..... hummmm it's so crazy it might jsut work!!!!

-JTHM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    So what your saying is that what we all need to do is in our own areas and start dropping challanges to all the local McDojo's..... hummmm it's so crazy it might jsut work!!!!
    Umm, yes. I, um, hmmm. Well, no, not exactly.

Male/female communication at its finest.

--Amy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Umm, yes. I, um, hmmm. Well, no, not exactly.

Male/female communication at its finest.

--Amy

We will just send you in to submit the challange.... they won't know what just happened... we could defeat them out of pure confusion...

Mwaa haa haaa I wonder if that could work for world domination... hurmmmm....

Well if this board is any indication of the direction differatn Kenpo associations are going then things are looking pretty bright. (so bright I gotta wear shades)

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

This is a big pet peeve of mine. When people tend to attack others verbally and/or knock other organizations it tells me that they are insecure and doubt there own training and skill.

A wise and true martial artists is indeed aware of thier own weaknesses, but instead of hiding behind ego and denying them, they instead seek to overcome those weaknesses through conscious effort and/or seeking out those that can aid them.

Everyone has their own particular strengths and weaknesses. Even those that have been training for many years. Imagine what could be accomplished and how we all could benefit if egos were set aside and all of us worked together to strengthen the other. Man...gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    This is a big pet peeve of mine. When people tend to attack others verbally and/or knock other organizations it tells me that they are insecure and doubt there own training and skill.

A wise and true martial artists is indeed aware of thier own weaknesses, but instead of hiding behind ego and denying them, they instead seek to overcome those weaknesses through conscious effort and/or seeking out those that can aid them.

Everyone has their own particular strengths and weaknesses. Even those that have been training for many years. Imagine what could be accomplished and how we all could benefit if egos were set aside and all of us worked together to strengthen the other. Man...gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
    True CC howerver people are they way they are... I do hope that in time more students will see the benifits to our mindsets and choose to learn form one annother rather than my form vs your form... or the I shoudl have been teh #1 student bla bla bla...

But I wanted to get to the bottom of it cause that is where it begines in my opinion.. understanding why.. then moving to fix it.

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Why?
    E-G-O
    That's why. Some folks want to be the biggest fish in the pond irregardless of how big the pond is. Ultimately, no one benefits from it other than the individual with the hungry ego. Makes me sad, angry, and a so-on-so-on-so-forth.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Politics?

Ego?

Where?

Train hard, train for reality, and perfect your martial spirit-
    The above is just my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links