Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Breaking

Who here does any breaking? What conditioning have you done for it? What do you prefer to break?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Breaking

I used to break all the time in my MDK and Hapkido days.

Here is what I used to do:

Power breaking wood: 4 boards no spacers any kick or hand strike. (Never could do more than 4)

Speed breaking wood: 1 board held on any one side.

All wood was 12 X 12 X 1" Pine.

All materials, wood, brick and cap locks were purchased from Home Depot or Lowes and not altered in anyway.

Bricks or cap locks: my record is 8 with spacers, 4 without.

Conditioning:

Knuckle pushups on the concrete (leading knuckles only!)

Punch makawara on every hand surface, usually until it bled. (Don't try it at home!!!)

Eventually moved to punching half a brick with all surfaces of my hand, usually again until I started bleeding.

Yes, my wife called me crazy!

Also used to kick a brick wall (lightly) with ball of foot, knife edge and heel.

I have tons of video of me doing this stuff from the 80's to early 90's. I will locate it and post a link in this thread when I can find it. UPDATE: Found an old file, linked it below.

BTW I don't condone ANY of my former conditioning methods, don't try it at home, its at your own risk, etc etc.

Here is a link to a video segment shot of me 15+ years ago breaking stuff. It's 5.5 MB so be patient ... fear the hair ... http://carolinakenpo.com/videos/seck1994.mpg

This video can not be used without my permission or reproduced in anyway, thanks!

Salute,
    Last edited by Martin Seck; 05-14-2006 at 06:07 PM.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-08-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I love breaking, although I have not done much recently. I've done up to 6 2" bricks with spacers with palm, elbow, and axe kick. I've done 2 bricks with the head, and as many as 6 1" boards with the head. I've done boards and bricks on fire with the palm, as well as boards on fire with the head (covered in a damp dewrag!).

There have been a lot more, but those are the highlights. As far as conditioning - I've not really done any. Just training!

Salute

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thesensei
    I love breaking, although I have not done much recently. I've done up to 6 2" bricks with spacers with palm, elbow, and axe kick. I've done 2 bricks with the head, and as many as 6 1" boards with the head. I've done boards and bricks on fire with the palm, as well as boards on fire with the head (covered in a damp dewrag!).

There have been a lot more, but those are the highlights. As far as conditioning - I've not really done any. Just training!

Salute
    Thats the one thing I never broke with ... my head. Figured I may need it later and I need all the brain cells I have left, LOL!

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

"..boards do not hit back." -Bruce Lee.

I have broken in the past. Pretty much exclusively in other styles that were not Kenpo. I'm sure there are advantages to doing so, but it's not real high on my priority list.

I'm sure it's a confidence builder in a lot of people. What are some advantages to breaking in your opinions?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

i have broken a few fingers and toes...lol... i broke some boards and stuff. nothing to bragg about

that is all

Thanks

I have done boards and window sill blocks. I used to have my children's class break half inch boards for confidence. Worked pretty good.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

In my training thusfar I found nothing exciting to try any breaking. I prefer to keep my fingers and knuckles in tact. I tried breaking twice in my life. The first time I said "that's a little harder than it looks". Then I went back for a second strike. I didn't go through it that time either and said "That's enough for me". Never tried it again and dont' really care to.

Thanks

breaking burning boards and bricks hu? .... ummm... .I used to set myself on fire every now and then... does that count?
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    breaking burning boards and bricks hu? .... ummm... .I used to set myself on fire every now and then... does that count?
    LOL!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Fire and breaking? I have to admit I do like it when hardcore wrestler's set a table on fire and powerbomb thier opponent through it. Now that's cool!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

woulden't it be cooler if the hardcore wrester set his opponent on fire and put a table through them?

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

Naw....that would just be gorey. They do set each other on fire now and again though. LOL

Thanks

I have to admit.. I do miss doing body burns for shows. those and highfalls.. there is just something about intenionally setting yourself on fire..

hahahhhahah

-JTHM

Thanks

We break in Kara-Ho Kempo, no boards just bricks or roof tiles.

Grandmaster Kuoha holds the world record for ice breaking 2100 lbs? Don't remember the exact figure. (It was on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno about 10 years ago)

We utilize internal energy for breaking, no power breaking. My favorite break is with the back of my hand. We use elbows, punches (no jumping)
    Crane strikes, ridge hand etc.

I have broken a couple of "44's" which are the smaller version of a cinder block "88" so it has two open spaces and a bridge down the middle.

Cheers!
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Advantages to breaking - It looks cool! I think it's a great confidence builder for many people - it was for me when I started doing it. Now, I just do it because I enjoy it, and it's good to show off with! I don't think it's really that difficult - I could teach just about anybody to do it. But I don't - because the martial arts background really helps to be sure you don't try something stupid and injure yourself!

The reason I started breaking - when I started my martial arts studies, it was in my youth group, my youth pastor was the instructor, and we were starting a karate team. So the first time I did any breaking was in a demo about 6 months after I started. I was an orange belt at the time, and scared to death. My instructor had us meet 1 hour before the demo to go over the breaks we would do. He didn't tell us what we were going to do, or allow us to practice it before the demo. He told me, "You're breaking three boards [with spacers] with an axe kick." I said, "Three?!?" He showed me the technique and principles, let me warm up with a phone book (but I couldn't actually touch it), and did the same for the other guys with their various breaks. Needless to say, standing there in front of 150 or so people watching the demo, and preparing my first break ever, I was a little nervous! But, I was excited when my kick came down, and those boards broke - I was hooked!

Even today, my wife likes seeing me do the axe kick break the most. I don't enjoy it as much because I think it's too easy, but she says it looks impressive.

BTW, the fire break is not hard at all. Just get in and get out fast, and have someone with a wet towel near to smother your hand if it catches fire (it happened to me once, but no injury)!

So, who else breaks - boards/bricks, that is???

Salute

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I remember the guy on the Johnny Carson Show. don't remember his name. A wild colored fancy Gi and long hair. He set a bunch of Blocks on fire and tried to break them. Caught his Gi on fire and ended uo going to E.R. with burns.

We do a little just to show there is power in the strikes. Not much more. Most people don't want to damage hands. We don't have to defend our lives daily so our hands don't have to be lehal weapons.

I am most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Thanks

We use it to measure INTERNAL power... I really enjoy it and have never been injured during this typ of breaking...

I do condition on a small sandbag (hand-held) and a small hand-held makiwara but that is not for breaking bricks.

Next time you guys break bricks try a few "caps" with the back of your hand- Power may work but it will be a painful experience.

Cheers everyone!
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    I remember the guy on the Johnny Carson Show. don't remember his name. A wild colored fancy Gi and long hair. He set a bunch of Blocks on fire and tried to break them. Caught his Gi on fire and ended uo going to E.R. with burns.

We do a little just to show there is power in the strikes. Not much more. Most people don't want to damage hands. We don't have to defend our lives daily so our hands don't have to be lehal weapons.

I am most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy
    That was Richie Barathy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    We use it to measure INTERNAL power... I really enjoy it and have never been injured during this typ of breaking...

I do condition on a small sandbag (hand-held) and a small hand-held makiwara but that is not for breaking bricks.

Next time you guys break bricks try a few "caps" with the back of your hand- Power may work but it will be a painful experience.

Cheers everyone!
    Speaking of internal power. I once broke the bottom brick only in a stack of 8.

Course it was an accident and I meant to break the whole stack but that sucker wasnt moving.

Weakest link in the chain I guess.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links