Thread: Future students

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Future students

Hey everyone,
    I just had a question that i thought would be a pretty good thread.
    If you have or plan to have kids, Would you teach them Kenpo? Or plan to teach them Kenpo? Just curious, I dont have any kids or plan on having any...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Future students

My kids will be punching, kicking, eye-gauging, and applying armbars before they take their first step! LOL.

Seriously, I'll probably expose them to it early on, but when they get old enough I'll let them decide for themselves (like 7 or 8 I guess.)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Mine are 6 & 9 and they aren't learning any right now. I don't plan on teaching them any for awhile either. Neither have shown a burning interest.

My experience is that unless the kids are unusually talented, they tend to learn a LOT of bad habits if they learn young. These bad habits don't get any better as time goes on.

The students that we've had as kids who are now late teens are not very competent. They didn't have enough expected of them when they were younger, so that shows now.

Judgemental of me, perhaps, but I don't have any experience to the contrary. (I certainly recognize that there are exceptions, but my kids don't fall in that category.)

Maybe in a few more years.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

My father has a black belt in Shotokahn and Kenpo, and he pushed us to play sports when we were way younger (5ish) ya know like t-ball etc...
    and as we got older we got into martial arts, boxing...Brown is the furthest i made but i just love the training and fighting just a good adrenaline rush...Not easy but nothing ever is lol...

Thanks

As mentioned in a different thread, my daughter Morgan is turning 4 in June, and she is already competing in her first tournament tomorrow!

She is doing Star Block Set in the 6 & under forms division, and will be doing 3 techniques we made up on me. I am so proud of her.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

I have three children. My oldest is 8 and just earned his advanced yellow belt, my other two are to young to train right now but I have every intention of getting them on the mat ASAP ... formerly that is they already watch and mimmic.

They love it and need no additional encouragement to participate. I hope they always have the fire to train.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I have two daughters, one 6 and one 10. They both train with me and my youngest does not have the most interest but she comes and has fun. My oldest is a purple belt and she is really interested in earning a blue. My opinion? I would like to give my daughters every tool possible as a father to survive and live with their head up as young women. I think kenpo does that.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

I made a deal with my wife that the "future" kid can choose any activities sporting or non-sports related that he/she wants, but they are learning self-defense with when they are very young-

These days home-schooling kids is pretty common and the world gets more violent all the time so I am gonna home school my kid(s) Kara-Ho Kempo.

I will make it fun just like teaching a class but until they are maybe...12 it is mandatory. If more kids were outside doing a little something, childhood obesity would be much lower-

Just my .02
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks

I will deffinitely try to teach them Kenpo. But first I will introduce it to them to make sure this is what they truely want. I do not want to be one of those who just throw their kids into the studio and expectt them to be the best.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

It is no secret with my kids that I studied kenpo (I started in 1985). Actually, I had been out of training for a while when my children came across a box of my stuff in storage containing karate gi, trophies, medals, Kenpo journal, sparring gear. That is what caused them to want to start training. I decided it was time for me to return to kenpo again (after a 7 year absence), so I looked around for a good Kenpo school. I found one (this would make it my 5th Kenpo studio during my journey). My sons (now 13 and 11) have been training for the past three years and they love it. My daughter (5) started last year. Her interest is not as constant. She is still young. My youngest daughter (3) is not ready yet, but she probably will follow along if she shows the interest.

I don't push them. I allow them breaks from training if they want to. They know homework is a priority before Kenpo. I also do not train them directly. They get enough of the "mom guidance" at home, so I know they will listen better if someone else trains them with Kenpo.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Both of my children have trained in kenpo. My hubby and I have not (until recently) been their primary instructors. My daugher (now age 16) left kenpo at junior level green belt (adult level orange) to train in fencing. My son (now age 13 1/2) received his junior black belt and left to train in boxing, he is currently working his "adult" level kenpo material with my hubby Pete and I. He also attends camps - (ltkka and wkka) on a regular basis. I think it is important to expose your children to self defense training. The family that plays together ... stays together~! SO VERY TRUE!

Peace,

D

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I actually started taking kenpo in a family class with son Justin.After a short time I discovered I loved Kenpo and continued my studies in the adult class, since that time my wife Lynne has joined me and we are now a kenpo family.My son justing is now a junior brown belt and we are green belts.I look to future to further my studies and one day opening a karate school once i finish my current career.
    Last edited by Mike Moore; 05-14-2006 at 08:02 PM.
    Just another Lifelong student Walking the Endless journey of Kenpo.(and Loving it)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Moore
    I actually started taking kenpo in a family class with son Justin.After a short time I discovered I loved Kenpo and continued my studies in the adult class, since that time my wife Lynne has joined me and we are now a kenpo family.My son justing is now a junior brown belt and we are green belts.I look to future to further my studies and one day opening a karate school once i finish my current career.
    Welcome to KenpoTalk
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I have 4 children; 5, 7, 8 & 12 years old. All of them study at the school and I find that my 2 younger ones actual enjoy that classes more than my two older ones.

-John

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

My instructor in TX, kind o has the same thing, his older son kareem
    practices Kenpo and is a jr blue belt, but sometimes will complain or miss a week, while his younger son Eli cant wait to get started. He doesnt train them till they are six yrs old. As for me, I don't plan on having any kids myself. I'm too selfish, and right now i have WAY too much going on. Plus my girlfriend doesnt want any either lol..Anyway good to see everyone's thoughts

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links