Thread: Ummm. . .

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Ummm. . .

has anyone ever heard of a system called Skiatu. Apparently it's supposed to be kind of along the lines of JKD in that it's a conglomerate type of thing, but I can't find any info on line.

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Default Re: Ummm. . .

I took a quick look on Google, but didn't find anything in English.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I did a more exhaustive search and there is nothing like that, with that spelling on the internet. I would be a bit leary about paying them money until you find out a bit more.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Billings
    I did a more exhaustive search and there is nothing like that, with that spelling on the internet. I would be a bit leary about paying them money until you find out a bit more.

-Michael

My thoughts exactly. It seems to be the only school in this area that's not all flash and ego, and money-driven, though.

Thanks

I would go and ask to watch a few classes to get a good feel for it.. A good school would be pleased to have you watch.

go with your gut feeling.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    I would go and ask to watch a few classes to get a good feel for it.. A good school would be pleased to have you watch.

go with your gut feeling.
    Actually a good school wouldn't let you sit and watch, they would have you out ont he floor to try a class or two fro free to see if you like it.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

True... but I honestly like to jsut watch and observe at least one class before I opt to join in.. I find that I see thigns I would not normally see.. it also lets me talk to the parents if they are there for kids classes.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

I think I'd want to watch one first too. Just one class. Then I'd want to participate. That would give me a feel for how the class is run normally, not just what they do to try and interest new people.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

>think I'd want to watch one first too. Just one class. Then I'd want to >participate. That would give me a feel for >how the class is run normally, >not just what they do to try and interest new people.

Hi Amy,

I’m replying to this old post because it ties in exactly with a current thread started by Ceicei.

I humbly and respectfully totally disagree.
    Here’s why I disagree totally.

1. We are teaching something special, something that needs to be earned.

2. We are NOT attempting to show off so that someone will join.

3. How we ENTERTAIN and WOW should NOT be a consideration.

I agree 100% with Rob on this.

No spectators, ever!

NO one gets to watch any class, ever!

(There is an EXCEPTION to this and it pertains to women and children, which I will NOT go over with this post, okay?)

NOW you are correct that many people need some type of convincer that what you are doing is valid.

You are correct in the assumption that many people fear to spend any money unless they are getting something for that money that is worth much more psychically and emotionally than the money they are giving in exchange for it.

There are very good ways to handle those concerns that are much better for them and for the studio, besides allowing spectators of any sort, ever.

EVERYONE, regardless of rank is required to come in for a personal private interview by appointment only.

NO ONE is allowed to come into the studio unannounced.

We allow NO walk-ins.

Walk-ins are mostly curiosity seekers and are a waste of your time.

There should be NO WAY that any walk-in; any curiosity seeker can view anything that is going on in any of the classes. They also should NOT be able to hear clearly anything that is being said or taught.

So in the TINY psychologically designed reception area, always have it screened off, curtained off, an office area, and have a radio playing music between that room and any of the workout areas. It should look professional and have an oriental (Chinese) feel to it.

When they do walk in unannounced they should feel, “Oh my GOSH!”

You need to be nice to those walk-ins as you tell them that BECAUSE you are busy you can’t talk to them now, BUT if they want, you can set them up for a personal private interview at such and such a time.

That time must be VERY SOON, WITHIN HOURS if possible. So that appointment time can be later the same day, or the next day at such and such a time. Which time is best for you?

The real ones will choose one of the times. Many of the walk-ins will agree to an appointment but never show. They are the curiosity seekers and you’ve lost nothing.

You do need to call them back within 2-3 minutes of a no-show, so you are reminding them of the appointment they just missed. “Hi Bruce, we had you down for a personal private interview with the head instructor Suk Lee at 5:30, and your not here yet, what happened?”

Then they will lie to you about “they forgot” or whatever. Your answer, “Bruce, that’s okay. Get down here right now and Mr. Lee can still talk to you. See you in a couple of minutes!” and you hang up.

You treat walk-ins the SAME WAY that you treat a telephone interview. Your INTENTION when they call for information is to get them in for a personal private interview for appointment only, NO EXCEPTIONS. You should NEVER answer their questions and concern over the telephone.

They are very polite and educational ways to do that telephone sign-up for a personal private interview by appointment only.

By doing that you have just up-graded a Bruce Lee want-ta-bee, or a Power Rangers curiosity seeker, or a concerned and fearful parent into a valid client.

And this is the FIRST stage of turning someone that is just curious INTO a real client that loves Kenpo Karate and wants to get skilled in it.

This stage is based upon unconscious habit patterns most of us have and that most of the people on this planet do NOT know about.

©Dr. John M. La Tourrette

10. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

gixxershane (03-09-2007)

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

thank you Mr. La Tourrette for your enlighting post..
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links