Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparring Strategies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Sparring Strategies

I was reading through some old magazines last night and re-read a great article called Joe Lewis' Break Through Strategies, in the Spring 1987 The Fighter magazine. This one article is almost a Bible of Sparring. What are some fo yrou favorite sparring strategies? As this thread progresses i will share key points from the article.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Sparring Strategies

I always seem to get people on a chicken kick. Crazy huh? On slower folks I really go aces on the Trapping Hands drill. Catches them off everytime lol
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

I enjoy moving off the line of attack and then counterstriking. I also like to get my opponent to just miss or barely touch when he is delivering an attack (thereby absorbing his energy), before counterstriking.

But in general, I prefer to stay on the offense and take control of the fight early.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Keep your hands closed. LOL. I have two fingers splinted right now because ...me stoopid...me left hand open blocking kick....DOH! What makes it worse is that my left middle finger was already crooked from making the same *^%#^ mistake a few years ago. Guess I'm just "thick in the head" as they say.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Keep your hands closed.
    Then why do most Kenpoists pose with open hands?

Is that just for pictures, but then when fighting, we should change our strategy?

I mix it up....sometimes my hands are open, sometimes closed. Both have advantages, depending upon the circumstance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook

Is that just for pictures, but then when fighting, we should change our strategy?

I mix it up....sometimes my hands are open, sometimes closed. Both have advantages, depending upon the circumstance.
    If I am just trying to sike them out than my hands are open. If not they are close this way I do not have to worry about broken fingers.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

It's bizare that you asked that question! LOL. I was actually thinking about that as that lovely long curley haired brunette RN was splinting my fingers.

I see wher you're coming from though. One thing I like to do when sparring is a "slap check" to my opponents front hand with my rear hand and then round the corner executing a front hand back fist strike to thier head. That requires my rear hand be open. I just need to remember to close it back up again before blocking a kick!!!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    If I am just trying to sike them out than my hands are open. If not they are close this way I do not have to worry about broken fingers.
    What about heel palms, grabs, ect? Depending upon the target, you don't have to worry about broken knuckles or a broken wrist if you utilize open hand strikes over a closed fist.

Thanks

I just need to remember to close it back up again before blocking a kick!!!
    I agree with that point, buddy.

You know me, CC, I just like "stirring the pot" sometimes to engage in some cool debate.

Keep kickin' brother.

Thanks

What about heel palms, grabs, ect? Depending upon the target, you don't have to worry about broken knuckles or a broken wrist if you utilize open hand strikes over a closed fist.
    If I am grabbing deffinetely. I actally try to do some of the sparring drills like B1a and ect. I throw heel palms or chops ocassionaly, only kicks and punches. Once and a while a few finger spears but that is just to make sure they are paying attention .
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

One thing I noticed yesterday (prior to the injury) is that when blocking a side kick towards the outside the opponent tends to rotate and give you his back. Now..in the street..this is just awesome! I love getting somebody's back. But in tournaments you can't strike to the back and you can't jump them and choke them out. You'll get a foul. How do you guys with more tournament experience use this to your advantage?

Thanks

One thing I noticed yesterday (prior to the injury) is that when blocking a side kick towards the outside the opponent tends to rotate and give you his back. Now..in the street..this is just awesome! I love getting somebody's back. But in tournaments you can't strike to the back and you can't jump them and choke them out. You'll get a foul. How do you guys with more tournament experience use this to your advantage?
    When I used to compete regularly, I would take a foul anyway, instead of me getting hit.

Ooops, I didn't just say that....

Thanks

When I used to compete regularly, I would take a foul anyway, instead of me getting hit.

Ooops, I didn't just say that....
    LMAO.
    The guy I was sparring with came from a TKD school. I couldn't believe how much restraint I had to use. There were so many times I thought "Knee shot.....choke out.....take down....." But of course, I couldn't because I was trying to get accustomed to the tournie environment.

Thanks

I'm more of a counter-fighter, but in a match I'll start interspersing it with offensive blitzes to keep an opponent off balance.

As for someone turning their back, I usually rush in and do multiple punches to the back of the head, just to make sure the judges see it.

Using it to my advantage? The 'ol duck head and butt check until I can get my left leg out in front of me, and a right back or heel hook kick to the groin.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

As promised here is an excerp from the article.

The 10 Advantages of Strategies
    1. The can help bring about an advantageous condition to your situation, which provides you with optimal fire-power and an impenetrable defense

2. The make it easier for you to adjust to your next move.

3. They provide a sense of direction: how to approach an opponent, execute your techniques, adapt to his/her response, and subsequently follow through.

4. They give you a method of integrating all of your techniques into a style which best compliments the techniques you favor, in conjunction with your physical type and your psychological nature.

5. They give you a sense of order; which techniques to fire first, why, how to set up your opponent, and so on.

6. They make it easier for you to focus by showing you how to aim your attention. In effect, what to look for when you observe your opponent helps you maintain concentration.

7. They facilitate opponent identification; the help you quickly detect what type of opponent is confronting you in a given situation.

8. They improve effectiveness of execution through the knowledge of when to move and when to fire in proper sequence. thie establishess your timing, speed and rhythm. It improves commitment of execution by helping you to put meaning into your movements.

9. They make it easier to establish the dominant position.

10. They help you condition the mind by teaching you how to execute mentally.

For those interested in seeing others reponses to this topic it is posted also on http://MartialTalk.com

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

My hooks/crosses/uppercuts do quite well!
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

Thanks

When I get back home I will post more from this article.

Thanks

Since we have so many new people I thought why not bring this thread back.

Myself I seem to be more of a reactor than an initiator. In your opinions is waiting for the attack more often than being the attacker a bad thing? If so why?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

From the article that inspired this thread here are 5 Ways to Neutralize An Opponent's Position

1. Change the distance

2. Change the body alignment

3. Change the opponent's aim by altering his line of vision

4. Break the opponent's balance

5. Make the opponent hesitate

kenpoteacher Guest

Jaime, depending on the type and condition of your hand gear, let your hands conform to the curve of the glove and keep them loose inside. Wrap your wrists to help keep them straight so the act of closing your striking hand just before hitting the target will lessen the chance that a sprained wrist will happen.

Relaxed as oppossed to tensioned will make a difference in getting your strike in before he/she does.

Clark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links