Thread: Top 5 toughest fighters in your journey:

Thanks

Default Top 5 toughest fighters in your journey:

Here is my list (that I have fought) in no particular order:
    1. Richard Chau – black belt holder in kung fu & jiu-jitsu; undefeated in full-contact kickboxing; trains under his father, Master Paul Chau, in London, Ontario: www.northernblackdragon.com. He has great endurance, good upper body movement, and has fast and powerful hands.
    2. Clyde O’Briant – 7th degree black belt in American Kenpo Karate under Larry Tatum. Clyde is deceptive, and given his experience in fighting such a wide range of opponents with various skill levels, is very tactical. He has awesome counterpunching and counter kicking skills, and doesn’t swing wild. He hits hard and gets better as the fight goes on.
    3. Pete Daypuck – member of the Canadian Japan Karate Association National Team for Kumite and has won the NBL world championship on a few occasions. Pete is a very fast kicker, and packs a great reverse punch. He is the co-owner of Daypuck’s Sport Karate in London, Ontario: www.daypuck.com
    4. John Marshall – 5th degree black belt in Shorinji-Ryu Karate and owner and head instructor of Family Karate Centres in London, Ontario: www.familykarate.on.ca. John has great side and axe kicks, and utilizes effective angles when fighting.
    5. Brent Beatty – has fought in many countries and has won several world titles. Brent uses his size and reach very well. He has a great lead hand backfist and roundhouse kick, and has a great axe kick as well. Brent was trained under Mike Bernardo in London, Ontario.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Interesting topic. I'm not sure I have 5 at the top of my list but;

1. Mr. Ed Noble - An olympic TKD fighter and trainer. At the time of my training with him he was really starting to prepar for the '92 Olympic games. He competed for a spot in the '88 & '92 games but was an alternate for the '92 games. He taught me how to fight olympic style by getting my @ss beat each and every class.

2. Mr. Russell Kiser - He was Mr. Noble's student from the very beginning of his training. Russell had the most wicked feet I've ever seen which gave me an @ss beating every class.

3. Mr. Oliver Harris - Which was my amateur kickboxing instructor. For 3 hrs. a day 6 days a week this guy punished me and my body to no end. A quick story. 1 day Mr. Harris told me I needed to learn how to jab. So he puts on his left glove and tells me that were fighting full contact. I'm looking at him and he say's "You can throw any kick, any punch, any combination you want as hard as you want. I'm going to use my left jab to teach you what the jab is about." I go ok, yeah whatever. I've got 2 good hands and 2 good feet and he has 1 left jab. I figured that I was good to go. Well, for 3 three minute rounds I got my @ss beat by a tall skinny guy with one glove. After 9 minutes were up he asked if I was ready to learn how to jab? I said, of course! I didn't find out until we were done training that he was sparring partners with his cousin which was a light heavyweight boxing champ, and that he was also Mr. Noble's TKD instructor. He also had a student of his Retire as a full contact kickboxing champion.

Anyways, those are mine.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Top 5 toughest fighters in your journey:

John Johnson- A guy I grew up with on and off, he is a Hapkido stylist currently teaching English at a korean private school in Korea outside of Seoul.

Jerome Oliver- Freestyle wrestler, the guy was a tank and at my wieghtclass kept be on my back a whole year when I thought I was sure to go and win state haha. He also punked me on the football field as a running back being chased by a slow middle linebacker

Sgt. Crawford- STRONG guy from I think Louisiana I fought him in some post smokers and tactically he was not that great a boxer but he hit hard, that guy would make me check and see if my head was still attached to my neck constantly.

There are some others...but they are the scuffling on the side of the road "hoping the dispatcher heard me call out for back-up" types and Im not naming them here.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Let's keep this thread rolling....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

The man who taught me how to sparr Noel Loyson was definitiely one of the toughest fighters I ever had to fight.

Another would be a dearly departed friend Terry Mifflin. The man had long legs and could drop and axe kickon you from any direction.

The next would be Peter Gilpin. He was my referee at my very first tournament, and then he was my first match as a Black Belt.

Harold Howard was an incredibly tough opponent.

And the top of my list was Anthony "Mafia" Holloway. He was fast, he hit hard, he was deceptive and he grinned when I hit him.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post

Harold Howard was an incredibly tough opponent.
    You had the opportunity to fight Harold Howard????

Okay, you just have to fill me in.

Thanks

I fought Harold at Armie Rizzo's tournament back in 1990. There were not enough competitors in my division so I was put in with heavier opponents. He played with me like I was a toy, he would let me get a point just so he could pummel me. But he was really nice after the match. Buit I did beat him in Black Belt Self Defense that day so it wsn't a complete wash.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I don't know about the other 4, but James Parsons sure did wear me out. He's a California state champion 6 years running and I know why! He definately deserves some 'props' IMHO. =-)

We went standing and striking and we went to the ground and pound. He's very well rounded and quick. He won't stop either. I couldn't for the life of me find a decent entry on the guy. I finally gassed out and gave up!! LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    I fought Harold at Armie Rizzo's tournament back in 1990. There were not enough competitors in my division so I was put in with heavier opponents. He played with me like I was a toy, he would let me get a point just so he could pummel me. But he was really nice after the match. Buit I did beat him in Black Belt Self Defense that day so it wsn't a complete wash.
    That is a cool story and I am sure one that you will never forget.

Thanks

It was cool seeing him a couple years later competing in UFC 3.

Thanks

Anyone else want to list their top 5 toughest fighters and why?

Thanks

I would but nobody knows them ... all East Coast guys and most were not in Kenpo to be honest.

Reggie Toussaint (national champion from the late 70's to early 90's) Ask Sean Kelley about him. Built like Bruce Lee and fast as a cobra. (Chinese Kempo)

Bart Vale - enough said, if you know him. (Tracy Kenpo - before his Shootfighting took off).

Joe Keit - Kung fu guy who trained at the Shaolin Temple. Deceptive skill and incredible athelete. Well known in the Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu circles.

Anthony Azzaretto - Gold Medalist World games (Moo Duk Kwan Master, started training in 1962, former Marine 2 tours in VN, at 56 can still hang with guys in their 20's and make them look bad.)

Sean Kelley - back in the 80's. Quick and flexible for a little guy, great knowledge. Used to drop into a full split with no warm up back in the day.

Again some you all may know and most you won't but those are the top 5 that I have had the pleasure to swap leather with.

Maybe we should start a top 5 we have NOT yet fought and give our reasons why we would like to fight them? Just a thought.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links