Thread: Online grading

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Online grading

So I was talking to a friend who lives in another country to me who also does kenpo. He told me he just got his second brown belt over an online grading.

now personally I think that's not good. i mean I guess you can do your forms and sets that way but I'm guessing they didn't have great room and the grading panel can't see a form properly over a computer screen and the techniques would all have to be done in the air which really defeats the object of them especially for a second brown as yes of course you can train your techniques in the air for practice (I always do) but for a grading you should need to show you can actually apply it on a body.

personally I wouldn't grade online like that and I really would not be proud to recieve a belt like that.

opinions?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    http://www.kenpoguy.com/phasic-kombatives-integrated/phasic-kombatives/
    Thanks

Default Re: Online grading

While I would certainly agree with you on all fronts in a typical or more normal circumstance. I would ask what the timeline was and if he had been ready or close prior to the one nine (Covid) coming to town and had gotten the majority of the training hands on? Ultimately while it certainly is not a race but a journey, there must be exceptions during exceptional times in all things. And let me just add I don't believe all the hype about the one nine after the initial glut didn't happen and over run the hospitals, and that we are somewhat stuck with the fall out and life/business must go on! And NO I would not take a promotion or rank increase like that, but at least he tested...
    Last edited by sumdumguy; 05-24-2020 at 12:07 PM. Reason: punctuation
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

I would have to see what he did.

I do believe kenpo requires putting hands on bodies, but, there are many schools that have had to keep hands away from people for the past two months. That they are unwilling to surrender to the current medical realities does not need to be scoffed at.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,480 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    While I would certainly agree with you on all fronts in a typical or more normal circumstance. I would ask what the timeline was and if he had been ready or close prior to the one nine (Covid) coming to town and had gotten the majority of the training hands on? Ultimately while it certainly is not a race but a journey, there must be exceptions during exceptional times in all things. And let me just add I don't believe all the hype about the one nine after the initial glut didn't happen and over run the hospitals, and that we are somewhat stuck with the fall out and life/business must go on! And NO I would not take a promotion or rank increase like that, but at least he tested...
    Life/business does not go on when you are dead. This should be obvious.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Yeah, I'm not "scoffing" at anyone, this is an opinion board and I gave mine. pretty simple. And thanks Captain Obvious! LOL
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

Thanks

Yeah, I'm not "scoffing" at anyone, this is an opinion board and I gave mine. pretty simple. And thanks Captain Obvious! LOL
    I’m really not sure what the point of your post is.
    Michael

Thanks
    Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,262 Posts

As Doc would say, "it depends".

Many schools don't actually have "testing" because they test their students every week and know where they are at and only have a "belt ceremony" for promotions. Other schools have a more stringent test to have their students rise to the occasion under pressure.

If the person has been in close contact with the instructor and the instructor knows where the student is at, then from a retention stand point, this is a good idea. It is very easy to loose students during layoffs, so the promotions help keep them practicing and motivated to return. BUT, we also all know that it shouldn't be about the belt, but the journey which begs the question, why not just wait?

In the final say, it is up to the instructor and how he wants to run his school and how to make it survive in these times to pay the bills and keep the doors open once this is over.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    I’m really not sure what the point of your post is.
    Back at ya!

Thanks

Back at ya!
    Ah. I see.
    Michael

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I trained at a brick and mortar school several years ago, yes they told you when to belt test, it was required.... along with the $50 fee.... Never saw anyone fail.... I suspected it was a McDojo after seeing this. I have since changed over to online training, I do a weekly private lesson with the instructor and me personally I feel I get better instruction online than in any Dojo I attended.

Once I started the online, my suspicions were confirmed, I was at a McDojo. Yes they taught Kenpo, but it was WAY watered down (10 techniques per belt with almost no variations). Online you get out of it what you put into it. I also do have my teens to help me practice when I’m just not getting something and a body works wonders for those times.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Why does it matter how many techniques there is per belt?? What does that have to do with anything. I've seen numerous variations on numbers and it doesn't matter. Some systems use 24 techniques per belt. Some use 16 some use 10 it doesn't matter at the end of the day as long as they all get taught.

yeah a lot of people who do online classes think it's better than actual training. But it's not. You doing techniques on teenagers isn't teaching you anything. You need different sized partners to work on so you're used to working with different sizes because doing a technique on a 5 foot 130 pound female will be different to doing one on a 6 foot 200 pound male. Also each attacker reacts different and creates different openings and makes you have to adjust. You can do them in the air sure you can but you won't be able to do it on a resistant body without actually practicing that.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

i have stickers that have diffrent skills printed on them. sparring, basics, self defense, and forms. when the student has all 4 the do a pre test for the red stripe that displays test. once is schedule the date i know that the student has the material and i know they will be prepared for the test. the " test " is more of a chance for the students to display their skills and recieve the belt in front of family and friends.

it has worked out quite well.
    "I may not be a dentist, but if you keep talking to me like that ill remove those teeth for free"

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links