Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doc

Thread: Mr speakman

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Mr speakman

Hey guys so with a lot of free time I'm spending time either training or researching kenpo and came across a lot of stuff about Jeff speakman. Now at my school (won't name names) but there's a fair amount of contempt about him in that school in fact in conversation I referenced one of his videos and one gentleman a 5th said to me "don't mention him here" also looking online in various kenpo circles there seems to be a lot of disrespect. Anyone got any info on why? I've never met the guy but also never seen any reason for him getting disrespect. In fact imo he's one of the few who's actually progressed kenpo and added to it and from what I heard he's insisted he tests for every single Dan grade he's recieve dans refused to just be given it. So to me that alone deserves respect.

just curious more than anything not hating on anyone

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    http://www.kenpoguy.com/phasic-kombatives-integrated/phasic-kombatives/
    Thanks

Default Re: Mr speakman

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_student View Post
    Hey guys so with a lot of free time I'm spending time either training or researching kenpo and came across a lot of stuff about Jeff speakman. Now at my school (won't name names) but there's a fair amount of contempt about him in that school in fact in conversation I referenced one of his videos and one gentleman a 5th said to me "don't mention him here" also looking online in various kenpo circles there seems to be a lot of disrespect. Anyone got any info on why? I've never met the guy but also never seen any reason for him getting disrespect. In fact imo he's one of the few who's actually progressed kenpo and added to it and from what I heard he's insisted he tests for every single Dan grade he's recieve dans refused to just be given it. So to me that alone deserves respect.

just curious more than anything not hating on anyone
    So I don't want to stir the pot, and I won't in excess but I have met him on several occasions and heard some of the rhetoric that he and some of his peeps spew and he does intentionally (I think) try to piss people off. That being said I respect what he is trying to do, do I agree with it? not all but that's not the point. I also don't go out of my way to bad mouth or disrespect him and his organization the way I have seen done from, to, and with others. The thing about testing is the most humorous to me since I have heard a much different side of that from the earlier years, but that is a story for another time. I highly doubt you will get anyone on here talking about him in a negative light and you will for sure get some of his followers/clan on here defending him. Best thing to do is hang out with some of them and get a seminar with him and see for yourself, if you can. And hey who knows maybe he has changed since the last time I saw him.... And if you look at any of the large organizations with guys like him at the top (controversial) they get flack, cause people gotta hate! It's the old if people don't understand it, they are against it.... Hell look at Doc's stuff, people hated on him forever and still do. Some of it's presentation and some is "not understanding" what the material and intent of the material and mind set of the man! WOW, that blew up... Good Luck!!!
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,936 Times in 5,592 Posts

Default Re: Mr speakman

One of the things most do not know about Jeff is he was an accomplished martial artist before he came to Mr. Parker. Being significantly ranked in Goju Ryu Karate under my friend Lou Angell, Jeff was looking to expand his understanding of the arts as well as try his hand at acting in Southern California. I would say he succeeded at both.

One of the things you have to understand about jeff is he's "Old School," and in that regard a "hard ass" no nonsense practitioner who brought with him the toughness he felt is a part of the training, and that is represented in his 5.0 interpretation of Kenpo that includes some grappling along with with the traditional techniques. He also incorporates this perspective in his tournaments where takedowns and submissions are all a part of the sparring.

Jeff studied with me briefly after Mr. Parker passed, and yes he's a hard ass and uncompromising when it comes to his art. All of his students are tough and don't mind mixing it up. He'll accept anyone, but first you have to prove it. I don't know, but maybe these days, that's not such a bad idea.

Disclaimer: He does have a diploma with my signature on it.
    sumdumguy likes this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (04-23-2020),sumdumguy (04-23-2020)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links