Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doc

Thread: Kenpo Distance Learning

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Kenpo Distance Learning

I've been a student of the martial arts for over 25 yrs, and am deeply rooted in old school hard style Okinawan Kempo. I currently study BJJ to compliment my striking, but for a decade have been seriously interested in American Kenpo. However, there are no studios that teach the art near me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to quality distance learning American Kenpo organizations? I've looked around, and so many seem to have broken up or stopped being active. I'm interested in learning, and being part of a vibrant community. I don't want this art to erode or become simply regional, but I don't have any idea as to where I should pursue. My own Kempo is rooted in the Okinawan tradition, but I'm interested in studying under the American Kenpo lineage. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,115 Times in 1,470 Posts

Default Re: Kenpo Distance Learning

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
    I've been a student of the martial arts for over 25 yrs, and am deeply rooted in old school hard style Okinawan Kempo. I currently study BJJ to compliment my striking, but for a decade have been seriously interested in American Kenpo. However, there are no studios that teach the art near me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to quality distance learning American Kenpo organizations? I've looked around, and so many seem to have broken up or stopped being active. I'm interested in learning, and being part of a vibrant community. I don't want this art to erode or become simply regional, but I don't have any idea as to where I should pursue. My own Kempo is rooted in the Okinawan tradition, but I'm interested in studying under the American Kenpo lineage. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Stick with what you are doing. I cannot recommend the distance learning video thing.

if the distance learning means regularly traveling to visit a good teacher for the learning, and then using appropriate videos as supplemental material, that can work, if you are motivated to drive your own practice sessions.

If the training is initially, or mostly, or only, via video, even live-streaming, and visits with a teacher are rare or non-existent, then I suggest you don’t do it. It is just a poor way to learn something, and if your Okinawan kenpo training has been solid, then what you might glean from such a distance program is stuff you already know and don’t otherwise need.

there is a right way and a wrong way to go about learning this stuff. Don’t get suckered into the wrong way.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Doc (5 Days Ago)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

As far as I know, Larry Tatum's organization is offering a study course that includes his series of videos and sending in video material of yourself, so you can get feedback from them.

Self-study may not work for everybody, but if you have the will to do it and stick with it, then i would say, sure, go for it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

Doc (4 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 601 Posts

There are solid, well-structured, and well-monitored distance learning programs with strict standards out there. However they take an above average level of self-discipline and self-motivation. Learning this way is not easy, but it is possible. Be careful when you choose.

Respects,

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Doc (4 Days Ago),KirkS (2 Weeks Ago),Star Dragon (2 Weeks Ago)

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

If you’re in Cincinnati and will I g to drive north, I’m an hr north of Columbus. Yes, that’s a distance but judging by your request, I’m going to be your closest.
    You are not here to win friends. You are not here to look pretty. You are not here to stare at some chick's @ss. You know why you're here. And if you don't, then get the **** out because you're just taking up space......So SHUT up and TRAIN - Flex Mag.

`If you wish to get ahold of me please contact me at jhfarnsworth@yahoo.com.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,872 Times in 5,552 Posts

Stealing my thunder again uh.
    jfarnsworth likes this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Stealing my thunder again uh.

lol, I’m not sure I can sir. Lol
    You are not here to win friends. You are not here to look pretty. You are not here to stare at some chick's @ss. You know why you're here. And if you don't, then get the **** out because you're just taking up space......So SHUT up and TRAIN - Flex Mag.

`If you wish to get ahold of me please contact me at jhfarnsworth@yahoo.com.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jfarnsworth For This Useful Post:

Doc (4 Days Ago)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    There are solid, well-structured, and well-monitored distance learning programs with strict standards out there. However they take an above average level of self-discipline and self-motivation. Learning this way is not easy, but it is possible. Be careful when you choose.

Respects,

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    That's a HUGE amen. The truth is the average person will derive limited if any functional benefit from a distance learning program. You not only have to be above average, you have to be above average in experience in other arts as well. Under these guidelines I don't recommend distance learning in general, and specifically for the newbies that think they can forgo a real teacher and teach themselves through video. Bruce Lee started a mess and it continues to this day.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (4 Days Ago)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    As far as I know, Larry Tatum's organization is offering a study course that includes his series of videos and sending in video material of yourself, so you can get feedback from them.

Self-study may not work for everybody, but if you have the will to do it and stick with it, then i would say, sure, go for it!
    Yes he's mirroring the program started by Chuck Sullivan based on an Ed Parker Sr. idea he promoted in the late seventies before the internet. I myself have a distance learning program but it requires an intense once a year in-person training camp, and all the video "notes" for study are generated by the student at the camp. I have students and groups as far away from California as Japan, England, Thailand, and Ireland. Domestic students come from New York, Nebraska, Ohio, Washington, and even Northern California. They do very well, but then none of them are average at anything and all came to me as experienced martial artist with significant educational backgrounds. Same for my locals who are comprised of a significant number of medical professionals and law enforcement.

www.MSUACF.com

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (4 Days Ago),nelson (4 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,115 Times in 1,470 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    That's a HUGE amen. The truth is the average person will derive limited if any functional benefit from a distance learning program. You not only have to be above average, you have to be above average in experience in other arts as well. Under these guidelines I don't recommend distance learning in general, and specifically for the newbies that think they can forgo a real teacher and teach themselves through video. Bruce Lee started a mess and it continues to this day.
    Bolded portion: as I say, those who are most likely to benefit from such a program are those who need it the least. They already have that experience and that knowledge.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

17. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Doc (4 Days Ago)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post

Respects,

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Bill, what makes you such a authority on this matter?

haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 601 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Combatkenpo View Post
    Bill, what makes you such a authority on this matter?

haha.
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links