Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ma_student

Thread: Politics

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Politics

So I just moved to a new area and found a kenpo school. I turned up on a class night last. Not to train that night but just to introduce myself and enquire. I always prefer to do that in person rather than emails or Facebook etc. So I turn up and say my interest all fine. Then he asks if I have any training. So I say yes I'm a second Dan. That's when his expression changed and he looked annoyed by that. Then he asked me who I got it and my first Dan off. Again I answered and then he said straight away. No I am not welcome there. I asked what the problem was and he said he will not accept anyone from there because my skills obviously aren't good enough to be the rank I am and I am obviously not an honourable person. he then said I am not allowed to train at any of his lineages school..

to to me that's kenpo bs at it's finest. He's judging my skills and my person off who my instructor even though he's never met me in his life much less seen me train. The fact is he wasn't happy the moment he knew I was a second Dan. To me that shows total insecurity and ego issues.

and no I'm not going to name the instructor or my own as I'm not getting into that nonsense but it was an 8th degree with connections to Parker. Honestly you'd expect more from people from that era. Guess not

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ma_student For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Default Re: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_student View Post
    So I just moved to a new area and found a kenpo school. I turned up on a class night last. Not to train that night but just to introduce myself and enquire. I always prefer to do that in person rather than emails or Facebook etc. So I turn up and say my interest all fine. Then he asks if I have any training. So I say yes I'm a second Dan. That's when his expression changed and he looked annoyed by that. Then he asked me who I got it and my first Dan off. Again I answered and then he said straight away. No I am not welcome there. I asked what the problem was and he said he will not accept anyone from there because my skills obviously aren't good enough to be the rank I am and I am obviously not an honourable person. he then said I am not allowed to train at any of his lineages school..

to to me that's kenpo bs at it's finest. He's judging my skills and my person off who my instructor even though he's never met me in his life much less seen me train. The fact is he wasn't happy the moment he knew I was a second Dan. To me that shows total insecurity and ego issues.

and no I'm not going to name the instructor or my own as I'm not getting into that nonsense but it was an 8th degree with connections to Parker. Honestly you'd expect more from people from that era. Guess not
    So basically this post is.

Hey all .. there is this place and a thing happened and it was really not cool but I was the victim of some really uncool stuff..

That said I am only going to present my side of this event because you are going to have to believe and accept it without any background of mine or the possible motivation of the big meany who was bad.

but he was a Parker associate.... See how terrible those Parker people are!!!

That is basically what this post is...

Just translating it for others.

Bunbun
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

So that said... let me throw this out there...

My first Kenpo school was not the best I could have found.. I had many questions that they could not answer and I am not a compliant Uke.. so... we had issues... Someone here pointed me to Mike and it was one of the best things that could have happened.. probably more for me and not as much for him cause I can be a pain in the ass... but I digress...

If you are in MA.. keep an eye out for seminars by Premier Martial arts, up in PA and the surrounding area.. Dave is a good guy and runs some great classes. If you come out to the ones in PA, Mike and most of us who train with him typically come up.. so we can rock an roll if you like..

Bunny

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post

My first Kenpo school was not the best I could have found.. I had many questions that they could not answer and I am not a compliant Uke.. so... we had issues... Someone here pointed me to Mike and it was one of the best things that could have happened.. probably more for me and not as much for him cause I can be a pain in the ass... but I digress...

If you are in MA.. keep an eye out for seminars by Premier Martial arts, up in PA and the surrounding area.. Dave is a good guy and runs some great classes. If you come out to the ones in PA, Mike and most of us who train with him typically come up.. so we can rock an roll if you like..

Bunny
    I have no idea who Dave and Mike are lol. As I've said I don't follow senior ranks like they're rock stars. So saying 2 first names that could be anyone doesn't help much to me

Thanks

I have no idea who Dave and Mike are lol. As I've said I don't follow senior ranks like they're rock stars. So saying 2 first names that could be anyone doesn't help much to me
    Funny enough it's more of just the opposite that they are both so low key about their rank they are not GrandMaster Mike Lambert.... he's Mike.. cause we don't care about ranking..

And honestly, the fact that it matters enough to you that you would need to know which Dave and Mike they are might be at the root of the issues here.

Just some insight.

Bunny

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Bunny
    also when you say rock and roll...do you mean the typical kenpo way of me being a good compliant partner while you beat the hell out of me with me not being allowed to move, block or fight back? Because I'll pass thanks. I've been on the receiving end of to many beatings off guys who laid into me with 100% because they had a bad day or had a row with their wife (no joke at the end of the session I left genuinely beaten up the guy said to me ah sorry man I just had a bad day and I was angry) I've also had a time where I accidentally used the wrong attack and they looked at me and kicked me as hard as he could in the groin in a technique that didn't have a groin kick. To me that's a coward move smashing the hell out of someone when they can't fight back. I also notice that people who do that tend not to spar either. Go figure...

but if you mean rock and roll by genuinely sparring then I'm happy to spar with anyone. Kenpo should have more sparring. The way most kenpo I've seen is trained in the body is done basically the same way as using a heavy bag. I once proposed a drill to an instructor once as an idea, that they do an attack we try and do the technique and that person tries to block what your doing and counter then you have to counter that. Not a full spar just a 3 step drill....instructor didn't like the idea. No surprise

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Funny enough it's more of just the opposite that they are both so low key about their rank they are not GrandMaster Mike Lambert.... he's Mike.. cause we don't care about ranking..

And honestly, the fact that it matters enough to you that you would need to know which Dave and Mike they are might be at the root of the issues here.

Just some insight.

Bunny
    well umm yeah if I'm going to go and train with someone I kind of need to know their name. I can't just rock up to a city and ask a stranger I'm looking for Mike and Dave who do karate where do they train....

you said "come train with Mike and Dave."

I said "I have no idea who that is"

somehow that seems to be an issue....of course I need to know who they are. How many mikes and Daves are there in thr world am i supposed to go check in with every one of them to find the one I'm looking for

Thanks

also when you say rock and roll...do you mean the typical kenpo way of me being a good compliant partner while you beat the hell out of me with me not being allowed to move, block or fight back? Because I'll pass thanks. I've been on the receiving end of to many beatings off guys who laid into me with 100% because they had a bad day or had a row with their wife (no joke at the end of the session I left genuinely beaten up the guy said to me ah sorry man I just had a bad day and I was angry) I've also had a time where I accidentally used the wrong attack and they looked at me and kicked me as hard as he could in the groin in a technique that didn't have a groin kick. To me that's a coward move smashing the hell out of someone when they can't fight back. I also notice that people who do that tend not to spar either. Go figure...

but if you mean rock and roll by genuinely sparring then I'm happy to spar with anyone. Kenpo should have more sparring. The way most kenpo I've seen is trained in the body is done basically the same way as using a heavy bag. I once proposed a drill to an instructor once as an idea, that they do an attack we try and do the technique and that person tries to block what your doing and counter then you have to counter that. Not a full spar just a 3 step drill....instructor didn't like the idea. No surprise
    Well lets try an observational technique... reread my statement about the first kenpo school I went to and you tell me what kind of Uke you think I might be.

Then we can go to Harbor Freight pick up a Hammer and stone chisel and see what we can do about that chip on your shoulder...

Hoppy hop hop of Great and Terrible Bunny.

-JTHM

Thanks

well umm yeah if I'm going to go and train with someone I kind of need to know their name. I can't just rock up to a city and ask a stranger I'm looking for Mike and Dave who do karate where do they train....

you said "come train with Mike and Dave."

I said "I have no idea who that is"

somehow that seems to be an issue....of course I need to know who they are. How many mikes and Daves are there in thr world am i supposed to go check in with every one of them to find the one I'm looking for
    ....... OK let me point out some things you apparently missed...

PA

Premier Martial Arts

Dave

.... so.. something you might not be used to... I am not one to spoon feed people... I believe that if you give people some info it lets them take the initiative for self discovery... self discovery is far more permanent than simply people giving you the answer...

Bunny of Mystery.....

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Well lets try an observational technique... reread my statement about the first kenpo school I went to and you tell me what kind of Uke you think I might be.

Then we can go to Harbor Freight pick up a Hammer and stone chisel and see what we can do about that chip on your shoulder...

Hoppy hop hop of Great and Terrible Bunny.
    Lol I've got no chip on my shoulder I just call things as I see it. I call out the bs of kenpo that I've seen make huge amount of people quit training. I'm not going to kiss anyone's ass just because of a rank and any of that unimportant stuff

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

....... OK let me point out some things you apparently missed...

PA

Premier Martial Arts

Dave

.... so.. something you might not be used to... I am not one to spoon feed people... I believe that if you give people some info it lets them take the initiative for self discovery... self discovery is far more permanent than simply people giving you the answer...

Bunny of Mystery.....
    Lol you seem to be getting a bit upset there. I'm laughing a lot right now because the way you are acting. It's no surprise it's nothing I don't expect from the kenpo world. I'm sure if I turned up to train with Dave. You and all your buddies would be talking **** behind my back then when it gets time to do techniques you'd all be smashing me around because I dared say anything against it. I know how these things work. Seen it multiple times. I've seen senior ranks knock out guys and hit them full force in the throat because they simply didn't like that person.

Thanks

Lol you seem to be getting a bit upset there. I'm laughing a lot right now because the way you are acting. It's no surprise it's nothing I don't expect from the kenpo world. I'm sure if I turned up to train with Dave. You and all your buddies would be talking **** behind my back then when it gets time to do techniques you'd all be smashing me around because I dared say anything against it. I know how these things work. Seen it multiple times. I've seen senior ranks knock out guys and hit them full force in the throat because they simply didn't like that person.
    See, there's that chip on your shoulder again. You should really do something about it... you'll find that it throws off your balance and messes with your footwork.

Seems that I am getting upset.. . .. ..... snicker.... .... snicker...... LAugh.... Bwaaahahahah aha hahah ahah ahah ah ahahahah ahhahaha a.... sniff..... Deep breath... ahsa;ahaha hahah ha aahhaaaaahah ahh ahahah hahaha hahah a hha hahaaaa...

Whew... tears.... sigh...

Sorry.. if it seems I am laughing at you it's because I am...

Ya know.. biggest problem I see when people are running techniques is anticipation.. they think they know what is coming so they react in a preordained response... the whole concept of thinking they know what is coming is the basis for their reaction.. they are unable to be objective.. to detach and simply move forward with what is offered.

Detach.. don't anticipate.... be objective... and do not project. You'll find it is far more productive.

The Tao of Bunny

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,466 Posts

<<sigh>>
    if you feel youve been mistreated in some schools, it might have something to do with the attitude you bring with you. These things tend to be a two-way street.

if this posting is typical of your approach and your attitude when you come into a school, well, you’ve kinda got it coming.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

15. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

MrBunny (2 Weeks Ago)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

That kind of thing happens not only in Kenpo, but also in other martial arts. And yes, it sucks every time.

And I suppose you are not missing much not working with the guy. Look at it this way: He kindly red-flagged himself right away. Helping you not to spend your time and money meaninglessly. Take it from me; I have experienced a similar thing not long ago...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 666 Posts

I'm not going to name the instructor or my own
    So, I guess this begs the question ...

How do you know he is not correct ?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience but think of it as a good thing before you invested money, time, effort etc into training you quickly crossed off an instructor who was not a good fit for you so now you can get back to your search for an instructor that can give you what you need to reach your own goals. I do think that instructors have every right to turn down a student they think is not a good fit for their instruction but best not to take such rejection personally because it has more to do with them than with you.

By Sami Ibrahim

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    <<sigh>>
    if you feel youve been mistreated in some schools, it might have something to do with the attitude you bring with you. These things tend to be a two-way street.

if this posting is typical of your approach and your attitude when you come into a school, well, you’ve kinda got it coming.
    What a load of rubbish lol

this is how it went

"hi I'd like to train here."

"yeah sure do you have any experience."

"yeah I'm a second Dan"

"oh...who under?"

" Insert instructor name"

"oh no your not welcome here."

"oh why not?"

"because anyone who trains under them doesn't have any respect and any black belt there isn't considered a real black belt."

but yes of course it's totally my attitude isn't it
    Kenpodave likes this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,254 Posts

Let's go with what he has told us. It happens, and we all know it does.

The instructor could have been in a bad mood, he could have had students from that previous instructor who caused a lot of problems for him in the past, etc. etc.

But, did you offer to come in as a white belt and have him judge accordingly to his school/organizations standards? I tend to agree with him, that after black belt it does kind of matter what you are bringing to the table since there are assumptions with the rank and other students. I have seen it happen before when some instructors have stricter standards than another instructor and when people look at a "black belt" and they are obviously more skilled or knowledgeable it can cause problems.

IF you are truly interested in learning from this instructor, go back and try again and say that you got off on the wrong foot and would like to start as a beginner under him. Let him judge where you are at. After all, it is about the knowledge and not about the cloth.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

21. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,466 Posts

What a load of rubbish lol

this is how it went

"hi I'd like to train here."

"yeah sure do you have any experience."

"yeah I'm a second Dan"

"oh...who under?"

" Insert instructor name"

"oh no your not welcome here."

"oh why not?"

"because anyone who trains under them doesn't have any respect and any black belt there isn't considered a real black belt."

but yes of course it's totally my attitude isn't it
    And if he was here telling the story instead of you, I wonder how it would go.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (6 Days Ago),MrBunny (1 Week Ago)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links