Thread: Did you see the mall fight between the TKD school and Gym rats?

Thanks

Default Did you see the mall fight between the TKD school and Gym rats?

I've seen these videos going around on various social media groups.

Here is a longer version of the story https://www.scmp.com/sport/mixed-mar...ween-taekwondo

The video and story could be all fake news, or staged, or improperly reported.

However, if the premise of the story is correct, a group of Tae Kwon Do practitioners got into a fight with a group of gym rats, then we can say their art and training did not serve them very well. They certainly did not win decisively, or win at all. Kicks that were thrown did zero damage, and this is from an art that supposedly excels at kicking.

In martial arts circles, the argument of physical conditioning versus training often comes up. Even on this very site, there were camps that opined it was better to be trained but even if very out of shape, than to have good conditioning but no training. If the video is accurate, these were not old and overweight black belts that were pretty ineffective, they just did not do well against bigger stronger people. They did not fight well.

So this all begs the question, how confident are you really in your fighting ability? Do you consider conditioning an important part of your training? If not, why not?
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Did you see the mall fight between the TKD school and Gym rats?

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    I've seen these videos going around on various social media groups.

Here is a longer version of the story https://www.scmp.com/sport/mixed-mar...ween-taekwondo

The video and story could be all fake news, or staged, or improperly reported.

However, if the premise of the story is correct, a group of Tae Kwon Do practitioners got into a fight with a group of gym rats, then we can say their art and training did not serve them very well. They certainly did not win decisively, or win at all. Kicks that were thrown did zero damage, and this is from an art that supposedly excels at kicking.
    It does when taught and practised properly.

https://youtu.be/PvSTVp6a19A

Ouch!

In martial arts circles, the argument of physical conditioning versus training often comes up. Even on this very site, there were camps that opined it was better to be trained but even if very out of shape, than to have good conditioning but no training. If the video is accurate, these were not old and overweight black belts that were pretty ineffective, they just did not do well against bigger stronger people. They did not fight well.

So this all begs the question, how confident are you really in your fighting ability? Do you consider conditioning an important part of your training? If not, why not?
    I do emphasise specific conditioning exercises in my personal training, simply because it makes me a better martial artist. Although I practise relaxed awareness, I (for one) actually don't walk around feeling I may be attacked any moment. If self-protection is your main concern, there are more effortless and at least as effective ways than martial arts training and/or fitness training.

I just enjoy the ongoing challenge for mind and body that perfecting myself in the former poses as well as the constant increase in speed and power that the latter provides.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Did you see the mall fight between the TKD school and Gym rats?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to W.Bridges For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (05-07-2019)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links