Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrBunny

Thread: What if

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default What if

This is something I consider a lot. What would've happened to kenpo if ed Parker had lived for another 10-20 years. He died right before the UFC came in. I believe that ed Parker would've loved the UFC especially in its early days and I believe he would've added a lot more ground fighting elements due to the success of bjj. To me it's such a shame so many instructors are stuck in the past and they're making kenpo into a standard traditional system like shotokan or kyokushin etc. Kenpo was always meant to be adapted but so many are stuck with how it was in the early 90s they take what ed Parker said back then as gospel.

Now im a young guy I wasn't even born when ed Parker died but I've read a lot on martial arts and I live and breathe it and I genuinely believe kenpo should've adapted more. Right now I'm heavily into Krav Maga and the organisation I train with KMG they are constantly updating and evolving what they do. To me that is what kenpo should be. Today I feel to many only care about just practicing their forms and getting themselves their next Dan rank and from what I've read and from people I've spoken to who knew ed Parker. I believe he'd be very unhappy with the state of kenpo today.

i still love kenpo and I train my forms techniques daily but I also train other systems and analyse my techniques and insert things from other systems I believe is more effective for me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ma_student For This Useful Post:

KirkS (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Default Re: What if

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_student View Post
    This is something I consider a lot. What would've happened to kenpo if ed Parker had lived for another 10-20 years. He died right before the UFC came in. I believe that ed Parker would've loved the UFC especially in its early days and I believe he would've added a lot more ground fighting elements due to the success of bjj. To me it's such a shame so many instructors are stuck in the past and they're making kenpo into a standard traditional system like shotokan or kyokushin etc. Kenpo was always meant to be adapted but so many are stuck with how it was in the early 90s they take what ed Parker said back then as gospel.

Now im a young guy I wasn't even born when ed Parker died but I've read a lot on martial arts and I live and breathe it and I genuinely believe kenpo should've adapted more. Right now I'm heavily into Krav Maga and the organisation I train with KMG they are constantly updating and evolving what they do. To me that is what kenpo should be. Today I feel to many only care about just practicing their forms and getting themselves their next Dan rank and from what I've read and from people I've spoken to who knew ed Parker. I believe he'd be very unhappy with the state of kenpo today.

i still love kenpo and I train my forms techniques daily but I also train other systems and analyse my techniques and insert things from other systems I believe is more effective for me.
    Like most things, it depends on what you desire to get out of the art. The questions of why do you train? What is your intent? Competition? Self Defense? Mastery of self? Exorcise? Community? Business opportunity? any combination of the above?

That said... I trained in several varied arts through the years before I started with Kenpo and to be honest I thought Kenpo was crap in my first year of it till I was directed to train with someone else in my area. (Thank you Amy). I train for different reasons than others around me.. and over the last 30 odd years my intentions have changed as most peoples will.

From what I have heard of GM Parker ... and Doc could chime in a more accurate than I... but I could not imagine him really being disappointed with it all. Perplexed perhaps... possible more.. that moment that you watch someone doing something stupid and all you can really do is sigh... and then get back to what you do.

The Bunny

Ohh personal opinion... Krav footwork is terrible and has far too much wasted energy... but thats just my 2 coppers.
    sumdumguy likes this.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

KirkS (1 Week Ago),nelson (6 Days Ago),sumdumguy (6 Days Ago)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What if

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_student View Post

For what it's worth, some are. And many disagree because they believe the system is "complete". The depth to which you study the system will determine the value and lessons gleaned from that system. Depth requires time, and in time a person either falls into the cool-aid dispenser or comes to a hard realization but many or should I say most don't take or spend the time required to see. I agree with MrBunny in his statement "it depends".
    Last edited by sumdumguy; 6 Days Ago at 11:08 AM.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "Being a master by your own proclamation doesn't make you a master, it only makes you an arrogant"

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links