Thread: my sister in law is probably wasting her money

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Default my sister in law is probably wasting her money

Snow day off school and I was tired of watching my nephew shoot zombies so I asked him "didn't you just get your yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do?" He did, so I asked him to show me his first form. Took him a second to catch on to what I meant and I'm still not sure what he called it... pretty sure he mangled the korean name, didn't sound familiar to me LOL

So he spreads his feet, hands at his waist steps out, left downward block, push his right hand out as he steps forward... man it was just as bad as you can imagine, a kid just copying what he sees someone do without any context, meaning, or purpose. He had no idea those moves were blocking, punching. I told him "I can make you the best yellow belt in the school in 5 minutes" and he, being 12, was rightfully skeptical.

SO I fixed his foot work first. "You guys call this a T stance, right." (wait, how did Uncle David know about T stances?) "Well, if you step like this, with your knee up and land on your heel, if the guy crashes into you, you can resist him" and it showed him how his stance could hold my 210 lbs. We went back and forth - bad footwork, pushed over. Good footwork, pushing me back. Awesome.

Now, blocking. Yeah when you swing your arm down like that, you are blocking a kick or punch. Showed him how to make it crisp. How not to block too far outside his frame - zone defense blocking LOL. Showed him hwo to do a good "krotty step through" punch and told him "this is not how anybody really punches, but it's what krotty teachers always want to see in forms so here is how you make that look good" and we laughed about that.

Showed him how the block off-balances the attacker, sets up the punch. We punched each other in the ribs a few times. Then he did the form again. thinking about blocking, punching, getting rammed into.

My work here is done, grasshopper. And no you cannot play Call Of Duty any more, it's my turn. Go practice your krotty.

I'm not trying to say I can teach the kid TKD, but I don't think the people getting paid to can do it either.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (03-13-2013),Doc (03-14-2013),Drew (03-14-2013),jdinca (03-13-2013),KirkS (03-13-2013),LuckyKBoxer (03-14-2013),punisher73 (03-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,584 Times in 2,190 Posts

His TKD instructor will be scratching his head at the sudden improvement.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Drew (03-14-2013),EddieCyrax (03-13-2013),KirkS (03-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default Re: my sister in law is probably wasting her money

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post

SO I fixed his foot work first. "You guys call this a T stance, right." (wait, how did Uncle David know about T stances?) "Well, if you step like this, with your knee up and land on your heel, if the guy crashes into you, you can resist him" and it showed him how his stance could hold my 210 lbs. We went back and forth - bad footwork, pushed over. Good footwork, pushing me back. Awesome.

I'm not trying to say I can teach the kid TKD, but I don't think the people getting paid to can do it either.
    The scourge of many a "take one's dough" schools. There are good ones out there, but many bad ones that use the martial arts to keep kids entertained and pay the bills.

On another note, I am interested in the footwork you mentioned. I am picturing what my style does (don't we all) and want to make sure my filter isn't tainting what you are meaning. When you say "raising the knee up as you step" where and how? For us, we pick the knee up so it comes up on our centerline and about center height (depending) before planting it down where we want it for the stance. The heel slightly leads as the whole foot is placed down.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-13-2013)

Thanks

well in this case he was stepping from a horse stance facing 12, into a T-stance facing 9. So I had him lift his left knee up, just plain ole "lift you knee up", then point his knee at me (standing at his 9 looking like I want to punch him) then put his foot down, heel first. simple stuff. Lead with the upper case, lower case takes care of itself
    -David C

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Doc (03-14-2013),Drew (03-14-2013),MarkC (03-13-2013),punisher73 (03-14-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    His TKD instructor will be scratching his head at the sudden improvement.
    I hope so, and that my nephew likes the positive attention, and then asks me for more help. Kindof a longshot LOL
    -David C

-Ed Parker Sr.

- Doc Chapel

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

jdinca (03-13-2013),KirkS (03-13-2013)

Thanks

A. How much did you really expect from a new yellow belt? Or was he bad for a yellow belt?

B. Poomse or Hyung (hyeung) for korean terminology of kata/form
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

jdinca (03-14-2013),Thesemindz (03-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 630 Posts

The form doesn't sound like any tae kwon do form i'm familiar with for yellow belt ...the first move doesn't sound like kicho 1 or evn tae guek 1

good for you for helping the little guy..it will probably be the best and only good instruction he'll get
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KirkS For This Useful Post:

Drew (03-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,584 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    A. How much did you really expect from a new yellow belt? Or was he bad for a yellow belt?

B. Poomse or Hyung (hyeung) for korean terminology of kata/form
    You do have a point.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    well in this case he was stepping from a horse stance facing 12, into a T-stance facing 9. So I had him lift his left knee up, just plain ole "lift you knee up", then point his knee at me (standing at his 9 looking like I want to punch him) then put his foot down, heel first. simple stuff. Lead with the upper case, lower case takes care of itself
    Obviously, seeing it could be different. But, it sounds just like how we do our steps in my style. There are no "crescent steps", all steps are done with purpose and even shuffle type footwork is very specific for a specific reason already while in close. Almost everything else utilizes the step as you described to close the distance with the opponent and also protect the groin by the step.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Ya I think this could go either way... There are a whole lot of crappy martial arts instructors out there, I have seen many kenpo instructors who are worse then some TKD guys. I also do not have a problem with belts... even lots of belts for kids. It is a proven fact that kids in American Society do better when they have the rewards or promotions as compared to not. Adding many belts and many stripes in between is a great way to motivate and drive kids to stick with something and set short and long term goals. I guess to know for sure you would have to know exactly what the standards and expectations are for that new belt and see if the kid did in fact meet them or not. I have to say I have not seen any person of any belt in any art that does everything perfectly. Waste of money? Possibly.. depending on the goals of the student and the parent... Kids are much more different then adults in my opinion when it comes to martial arts and learning. Kids do not have the mental ability to understand violence, and kind of intent that real danger would pose. They should not be made to understand that either. They should be protected from the details, and real self defense for them should be in the form of correct adult guidance, supervision and protection. So if not learning martial arts for self defense then why? I can think of dozens of viable reasons. This is probably a conversation worthy of its own thread but it was my first reaction to the original post here...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

my second observation and though is this is how martial arts.....any martial art...should be learned by kids. Kid attends martial arts class, gets curriculum, works on it in class, and then outside of class works on it with family members/trusted mentors etc. Let me guess the kid goes to class 2 times a week max probably, and has been attending for a month or two to get his first belt? so maybe 10-20 hours total of training time? How much home practice there?
    Instructors can only do so much. Whether it be martial arts school, or public schooling, or anything else. If there is no home practice, or time spent working on things then it is just not going to get good.
    Kudos on you for spending time working with him. Wish more parents of more kids did....not just martial arts but any sport/schooling.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LuckyKBoxer For This Useful Post:

Drew (03-14-2013),jdinca (03-15-2013),John Brewer (03-14-2013),KirkS (03-14-2013),MarkC (03-14-2013)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Uncle Dave needs to work out a sweet deal to teach the kid "secret" stuff.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing;
    drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
    there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
    and drinking largely sobers us again. --Alexander Pope

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links