Visit Our Sponsors

Annual Bob and Barbara White Invitational on Saturday March 23, 2014Hubbard Photography presents Martial Arts Photography Worry Free Managed Wordpress Hosting by SilverStar WebDesigns Inc. Click for more details!

Thread: Quote from Motobu on blocking and continuous attack

Thanks
    Thanked 2,367 Times in 1,062 Posts

Default Quote from Motobu on blocking and continuous attack

I saw this quote over at the SJ Forum and thought it was interesting. I had read it before, but it kind of went to the back of my mind. This quote is from Choki Motobu (karate's bad boy for lots of fighting).

One cannot use continuous attacks against true karate. That is because the blocks of true karate make it impossible for the opponent to launch a second attack.
    This is the idea behind ippon kumite. Against a committed attack, your block and counter will not allow the other person to keep throwing punches at you. We have had discussions on here before about completing the S-D techniques and what they are for.

How do you think this quote applies to kenpo (or not)? Does this type of training apply to your kenpo (or not)?
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (04-25-2013),KirkS (01-25-2013),MarkC (01-25-2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Quote from Motobu on blocking and continuous attack

I thnk he is referring to body positioning in relation to the block and strike. You just don't block and throw a counter but move your body, block and strike at the same time

Motobu is one of the guys that i would have loved to have talked to
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KirkS For This Useful Post:

MarkC (01-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,061 Posts

ever been punched in the bicep by a real old-school karate guy? I think that's a big part of why you can't attack again

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._1194988_n.jpg
    40243_458883025020_1194988_n.jpg
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-25-2013),KenpoGhost (04-25-2013),KirkS (01-25-2013),MarkC (01-25-2013)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,368 Times in 4,626 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    I saw this quote over at the SJ Forum and thought it was interesting. I had read it before, but it kind of went to the back of my mind. This quote is from Choki Motobu (karate's bad boy for lots of fighting).

This is the idea behind ippon kumite. Against a committed attack, your block and counter will not allow the other person to keep throwing punches at you. We have had discussions on here before about completing the S-D techniques and what they are for.

How do you think this quote applies to kenpo (or not)? Does this type of training apply to your kenpo (or not)?
    We address this kind of training/sparring in our SL-3 Tactical component. Same thing but from a more sophisticated kenpo Perspective. However what I do not do is get too deep into the philosophical Japanese Perspective, which reflects a cultural perspective as much as anything else sir. Of course all have merit, you just have to know where you draw the line. Some good, and lots of bad sir.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MartialScienceUniversity.com

www.SL4Kenpo.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (01-26-2013),MarkC (01-26-2013)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Richwood, Ohio, United States, 103740476331734, Richwood, Ohio
    Thanks

I don't think this is a philosophical argument. I think it is more of an intended versus actual result assessment. If the attacker's intention is not fulfilled, the attacker will need to re-assess and re-engage. If the block/counter is effective enough to keep the attacker locked in the re-assessment phase, then he will not be able to re-engage. I believe the quote is more a physiological than philosophical debate.
    The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do. ~Thomas Jefferson
    If it takes a lot of words to say what you have in mind, give it more thought. ~Dennis Roth
    If you can't write your idea on the back of my calling card, you don't have a clear idea. ~David Belasco

Bill Davenport

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to punkmonkey For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (01-26-2013),KenpoJuJitsu3 (01-31-2013),KirkS (01-26-2013)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,368 Times in 4,626 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punkmonkey View Post
    I don't think this is a philosophical argument. I think it is more of an intended versus actual result assessment. If the attacker's intention is not fulfilled, the attacker will need to re-assess and re-engage. If the block/counter is effective enough to keep the attacker locked in the re-assessment phase, then he will not be able to re-engage. I believe the quote is more a physiological than philosophical debate.
    Interesting.Certainly that could be, but it leaves much to be desired in the translation process, and could be "shaped" to fit ones own perspective I guess.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MartialScienceUniversity.com

www.SL4Kenpo.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-26-2013)

Thanks

I agree. The very nature of self defense is an interruption, interception or prevention of the attacker's intent. A physiological course of action with psychological repercussions. Philosophically all true self defense can be summed up in four words, "Stop the bad guy!"

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

May you never have to use your skills.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Doc (01-27-2013),KenpoGhost (04-25-2013),KirkS (01-26-2013)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 468 Posts

Well said.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenpoJuJitsu3 For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (04-25-2013),punkmonkey (01-31-2013)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Here is my thought, taken from my latest article on this subject (http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.com.au...no-blocks.html):

I don't think Motobu was talking about how blocks are actually "offensive weapons". This is a popular view today, but I believe it is clearly misconceived. When you consider the preceding analysis I think it becomes clear that he was talking about how blocks allow you to establish control in a situation where you have little or none. When you establish control, you can dictate terms. You are no longer being dictated to. Blocks enable you to "turn the tables" from a position where you are facing an attack, to one where you are not. That is because blocks deal with (ie. "receive") the attack in a way that thwarts it and any others that would follow as part of a combination. They cut off that whole line of assault while simultaneously setting you up in a safer position from which you can counter or simply escape.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dandjurdjevic For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (04-25-2013),KirkS (04-25-2013),MarkC (04-25-2013),punisher73 (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,715 Times in 1,278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dandjurdjevic View Post
    Here is my thought, taken from my latest article on this subject (http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.com.au...no-blocks.html):
    I don't know in what context Motobu made his statements, and whether or not there was more to what he was saying that would give some clarification. I won't pretend to know what he meant by it.

I will say however, that blocks can be offensive weapons, and offensive weapons can function as blocks (the method taught in the school I attend tends toward the latter). Either way, being on the receiving end of them makes it clear how effective it can be. My sifu can intercept (i.e."block") my punch in a way that takes the fight right out of me, hurts, can be truly injurious, and can stop the fight right there and without further follow-up. I'll also add that when we "block", it seldom looks like the typical karate blocks that we perhaps think of under the term. We don't use what would be recognized as an inward, outward, upward, downward, middle, or other "standard" karate block. But that's just us.

To say that the view of blocks being offensive weapons is clearly misconceived, well I disagree. It may be misconceived under some circumstances and in some examples, but certainly not all, not across the board.

But I can certainly see how one could interpret Motobu's comment in the OP in the context of using the block as a weapon, or using weapons to block. When done right it can definitely make it impossible for the bad guy to use continuous attacks. Because when you blocked that first attack, you injured him and it can very well be over.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Doc (04-25-2013),KenpoGhost (04-25-2013),Mac (04-26-2013),punkmonkey (04-25-2013)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I think that there is sometimes (not necessarily always, but sometimes) a difference between a block which is done as an initial response to an unanticipated attack (a block used purely for self-defense) - which is often an extension of the initial startle reflex - and a "block" used in a fight (that is, once the combative situation has been recognized and actively engaged by all parties involved). The first, by its very nature, often lacks the focus/power/commitment (whatever) to be anything more than a defensive tactic. Once combat is in process, and one can engage the opponent with full intent and focus, however, there should be no "block" per se. As the late Joe Lewis once told me (btw, Mr. Lewis almost never actually "blocked" anything himself), "if you have to block a punch, you make sure he isn't going to throw another one with that same arm." Take it for whatever it's worth.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoGhost For This Useful Post:

flying crane (04-26-2013)

Sponsors