Visit Our Sponsors

Annual Bob and Barbara White Invitational on Saturday March 23, 2014Hubbard Photography presents Martial Arts Photography Worry Free Managed Wordpress Hosting by SilverStar WebDesigns Inc. Click for more details!

Thread: I had a guy pull a gun on me Tuesday

Thesemindz is offline Wave Man
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 907 Posts

Default I had a guy pull a gun on me Tuesday

I was in a road rage incident recently where a guy pulled a gun on me. I was driving down a busy road at noon and as I approached the highway the black SUV in the lane next to me suddenly swerved in to my lane. I had to jerk the wheel sideways to avoid getting hit, which caused two of my tires to go off the road and caused me to lose control of the vehicle. I looked over and realized the guy in the car next to me was holding his cell phone up in front of his face and poking the screen with his other hand. No eyes on the road, no hands on the wheel. I managed to get the wheel under control and honked the horn at the other vehicle to alert him that he was in my lane. When I did, he dropped his phone and grabbed his wheel and steered his vehicle back in to his lane and started waving his arms and screaming at me through my open window. I yelled back for him to put his phone down and not run me off the road and then continued on to the off ramp intersection. At that intersection, the light turned red and I had to stop and he pulled up next to me and started screaming at me through the window again. "You wanna get out of your car? Get out of your car! Let's go! We can f**king fight right now! Get out of your car! Get out of your car!" I yelled back for him to roll up his window. "Just roll up your window man! Just roll up your window!" He continued to yell at me and I just continued to repeat myself. At that point, he pulled out a handgun and held it up in between us and said "What now?" And I replied "Now I'm calling the cops bro." At that point, the light turned green, I hit the gas and glanced back to get his license plate and he turned off and went east down the off ramp. At that point I consulted with my wife and some friends of mine and decided to call the police and report the incident. A few minutes later I spoke with a police officer who took my report and then told me they were too busy to look in to it today but they'd have some detectives look the guy up at his home later and if I didn't hear from them in the next few weeks I should call them again.

That was pretty much the end of it. I'm fine. I was fine at the time. Even while it was happening I was thinking to myself, "Just stay in your car man. If you get out of your car, he'll get out of his car, and then you're having a fist fight on an overpass." I also realized that if I got out of my car then this would escalate from a self defense situation to a mutual combat situation, and legally I'd have little or no defense for violence after that moment. Of course, once he introduced a firearm to the situation I did what I recommend to all my students and got the hell out of dodge.

I made a few mistakes here. I shouldn't have yelled at him to put his phone down and I shouldn't have yelled at him to roll up his window, I should have just ignored him and rolled up my window and continued down the road. That being said, I feel alright about how I handled this situation. Where he almost ran me off the road, tried to start a fight, and then pulled a gun on me; I managed to control my vehicle, tried to de-escalate the situation, and managed to not get shot and got away. All things being equal, I call that successful self defense. Based on all my experience with law enforcement, I really don't expect any follow up by the police. But I also don't expect to ever see this guy again either. Just a weird moment with a crazy person in traffic. I'm unharmed and went on with my life. I was shaky for about an hour from the adrenaline crash, but other than that I was pretty much unaffected by what happened. This was the first time anyone has ever pulled a gun on me in anger, but not the first time I've ever had to navigate my way through a potentially violent confrontation.

I don't know what the other guy's problem was. He looked like a relatively successful young man. Late twenties or early thirties, white, very fit, short hair, driving a nice black SUV with his dog in the passenger seat. Other than the whole "pointing guns at people in traffic" thing, I would have guessed that he had his life together. Oh well. Guess you never can tell.

The world is a dangerous place. This could very easily have gone far worse than it did. Stay safe, stay in control, don't allow other people to escalate you in to a violent confrontation, and remember the number one rule of self defense. Live to fight another day.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Thesemindz For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (11-16-2012),Doc (11-18-2012),jdinca (11-15-2012),John Brewer (11-15-2012),KenpoGhost (11-16-2012),MarkC (11-15-2012),nelson (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,042 Times in 1,876 Posts

Default Re: I had a guy pull a gun on me Tuesday

My fuse used to be pretty short. Age added some length to it. I'm glad nothing bad happened but I was kind of hoping to read that he was still trying to remove said weapon from his rectum.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Doc (11-18-2012),Thesemindz (11-15-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    My fuse used to be pretty short. Age added some length to it. I'm glad nothing bad happened but I was kind of hoping to read that he was still trying to remove said weapon from his rectum.
    Ha! No. At that range I wouldn't try to close with a guy who had a gun in his hand. Especially since I'd have to get out of my car and go all the way around his car to the driver's side. I don't recommend engaging with a gun unless you're already within arm's reach. There is a part of me that wishes I'd "taught him a lesson" but I know that's just my animal brain. My wife is just glad I didn't die.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesemindz For This Useful Post:

Doc (11-18-2012),Dr. Dave in da house (11-16-2012)

Thanks

Yeah, gun play changes everything. That's time to head quickly in a different direction.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Thesemindz (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,012 Posts

The police response was amazing!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    The police response was amazing!
    Yah. I guess it's just the response I expected. Three times in the last five years I've been the victim of a crime and gone to the police. The first time they refused to collect the security video evidence of the event, the second time they threatened to arrest ME for leaving the scene, and Tuesday they were just super super busy. That's why I don't talk to police. But my wife and some friends of mine in law enforcement convinced me that it was the right thing to do for public safety, so I reported him anyway just in case.

-Rob

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thesemindz View Post
    But my wife and some friends of mine in law enforcement convinced me that it was the right thing to do for public safety, so I reported him anyway just in case.

-Rob
    It was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the response will do anything for public safety. If the event is not I/P or J/O then the response is not forthcoming. Only so much manpower is available.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Takai For This Useful Post:

Doc (11-18-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Takai View Post
    It was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the response will do anything for public safety. If the event is not I/P or J/O then the response is not forthcoming. Only so much manpower is available.
    Maybe. I'd like to know how many speeding tickets were handed out that day after I made the report. Just sayin.

-Rob

Thanks

Some cops are dedicated and want to make a difference. Others only want to put in their time and collect their benefits. From what I've seen the leadership or lack of it is the determining factor. In my area the city PD sucks but the sheriffs department is outstanding.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Scary account. Having been involved in a couple of incidents myself and having spoke to others who have lost their mind in road rage fever, it still makes me shake my head. Last time it happened to me it involved a person in a delivery van slamming on their brakes in front of me and coming to a complete stop on a 3 lane highway. Luckily it did not escalate to a point of a gun being pulled (probably in large part to the gun registry still being in effect at the time....lol, yeah right). Glad to hear things worked out well and I wouldn't say your adrenaline induced response should be condemned too much, you are human and hindsight is always 20/20.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to woodyfish For This Useful Post:

Thesemindz (11-16-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodyfish View Post
    Scary account. Having been involved in a couple of incidents myself and having spoke to others who have lost their mind in road rage fever, it still makes me shake my head. Last time it happened to me it involved a person in a delivery van slamming on their brakes in front of me and coming to a complete stop on a 3 lane highway. Luckily it did not escalate to a point of a gun being pulled (probably in large part to the gun registry still being in effect at the time....lol, yeah right). Glad to hear things worked out well and I wouldn't say your adrenaline induced response should be condemned too much, you are human and hindsight is always 20/20.
    I felt good that even in an adrenalized state my instincts were to stay in my car, try to get the guy to go away, collect information, and flee the scene. He obviously had a very different set of "go to" responses.

-Rob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 996 Posts

I must be living in Disneyland or something, but if you wave a gun around here, you will be confronted by the police.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

jdinca (11-16-2012),punisher73 (11-19-2012),Thesemindz (11-16-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    I must be living in Disneyland or something, but if you wave a gun around here, you will be confronted by the police.
    No kidding. Idaho is about as liberal on gun laws as you can get, but if you brandish a weapon, there will be a knock on your door.

Of course, if someone pulls a weapon here, chances are the other guy will pull something bigger.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Doc (11-18-2012),Dr. Dave in da house (11-16-2012),John Brewer (11-17-2012),Thesemindz (11-16-2012)

Dr. Dave in da house is offline Bringer of Doom...& beer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,310 Posts

Rob -- I damn near killed a guy in an intersection once. Broke him up pretty bad. Spent the next months waiting for a DA warrant to be served at my home. The more I watch these "Life in Jail" shows on late nite cable, the more I appreciate my freedom to shave, crap, etc., without being hawked by a CO or angry gang-rat hoping to up his cred by sticking me during dinner. There's an old poem,

He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.
    He who stands both bold and brave, digs himself an early grave.

Sometimes, discretion really is the better part of valor. Wanna have more fun with it next time? Get his license plate, and "accidentally" add to the story that you're pretty sure he popped off a round at you. Gets a better police response. Of course, it could've been a coincidental backfire, but I'm pretty sure I heard a "pop" while he was aiming that thing at me... lemme go check my car for holes.

Sometimes, they let the canines chew on him for a minute or two before commencing the rest of the interview.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Doc (11-18-2012),John Brewer (11-17-2012),MarkC (11-16-2012)

Thanks

Good comment about the "pop". You can always say you must have been mistaken in your "excitement". LOL!!

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thesemindz View Post
    I was in a road rage incident recently where a guy pulled a gun on me. I was driving down a busy road at noon and as I approached the highway the black SUV in the lane next to me suddenly swerved in to my lane. I had to jerk the wheel sideways to avoid getting hit, which caused two of my tires to go off the road and caused me to lose control of the vehicle. I looked over and realized the guy in the car next to me was holding his cell phone up in front of his face and poking the screen with his other hand. No eyes on the road, no hands on the wheel. I managed to get the wheel under control and honked the horn at the other vehicle to alert him that he was in my lane. When I did, he dropped his phone and grabbed his wheel and steered his vehicle back in to his lane and started waving his arms and screaming at me through my open window. I yelled back for him to put his phone down and not run me off the road and then continued on to the off ramp intersection. At that intersection, the light turned red and I had to stop and he pulled up next to me and started screaming at me through the window again. "You wanna get out of your car? Get out of your car! Let's go! We can f**king fight right now! Get out of your car! Get out of your car!" I yelled back for him to roll up his window. "Just roll up your window man! Just roll up your window!" He continued to yell at me and I just continued to repeat myself. At that point, he pulled out a handgun and held it up in between us and said "What now?" And I replied "Now I'm calling the cops bro." At that point, the light turned green, I hit the gas and glanced back to get his license plate and he turned off and went east down the off ramp. At that point I consulted with my wife and some friends of mine and decided to call the police and report the incident. A few minutes later I spoke with a police officer who took my report and then told me they were too busy to look in to it today but they'd have some detectives look the guy up at his home later and if I didn't hear from them in the next few weeks I should call them again.

That was pretty much the end of it. I'm fine. I was fine at the time. Even while it was happening I was thinking to myself, "Just stay in your car man. If you get out of your car, he'll get out of his car, and then you're having a fist fight on an overpass." I also realized that if I got out of my car then this would escalate from a self defense situation to a mutual combat situation, and legally I'd have little or no defense for violence after that moment. Of course, once he introduced a firearm to the situation I did what I recommend to all my students and got the hell out of dodge.

I made a few mistakes here. I shouldn't have yelled at him to put his phone down and I shouldn't have yelled at him to roll up his window, I should have just ignored him and rolled up my window and continued down the road. That being said, I feel alright about how I handled this situation. Where he almost ran me off the road, tried to start a fight, and then pulled a gun on me; I managed to control my vehicle, tried to de-escalate the situation, and managed to not get shot and got away. All things being equal, I call that successful self defense. Based on all my experience with law enforcement, I really don't expect any follow up by the police. But I also don't expect to ever see this guy again either. Just a weird moment with a crazy person in traffic. I'm unharmed and went on with my life. I was shaky for about an hour from the adrenaline crash, but other than that I was pretty much unaffected by what happened. This was the first time anyone has ever pulled a gun on me in anger, but not the first time I've ever had to navigate my way through a potentially violent confrontation.

I don't know what the other guy's problem was. He looked like a relatively successful young man. Late twenties or early thirties, white, very fit, short hair, driving a nice black SUV with his dog in the passenger seat. Other than the whole "pointing guns at people in traffic" thing, I would have guessed that he had his life together. Oh well. Guess you never can tell.

The world is a dangerous place. This could very easily have gone far worse than it did. Stay safe, stay in control, don't allow other people to escalate you in to a violent confrontation, and remember the number one rule of self defense. Live to fight another day.

-Rob
    Well, first off, I'm glad to hear you're ok. That situation could've got VERY ugly. One thing that concerns me, is the lack of concern on the part of the cops. They were too busy to investigate that? I call BS on that. Sorry, but something of that nature would have been taken very serious where I work. I dont know the gun laws in your state, but I'd wager a bet, this jackass didn't have the gun legally, and if he did, shame on him for acting like that. Ya gotta love *******s like this piece of ****. Punk is too busy texting to focus on the road, almost causes a crash, you beep and he gets pissed at you? Go figure.

Anyways, I hope the cops follow up on this. Again, glad to hear you're ok.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MJS For This Useful Post:

Thesemindz (11-16-2012)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Have you followed up with the local constabulary to see what they did?
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Glad your ok Rob and I think you did the right thing. You never know who you're dealing with, could be a guy having a bad day or someone out to earn his stripes, either way you got home safe.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Brewer For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (11-17-2012),nelson (11-17-2012)

Sponsors