Thread: I Agree & Disagree Completly

Steve W Spry Guest

Default I Agree & Disagree Completly

Do you learn more from who you agree with or disagree with. WHY?

Steve Spry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 839 Posts

Default Re: I Agree & Disagree Completly

I think it is more about the person who has the ability to explain or show, "why".
    A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~ Louis A. Berman

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eastcoastkenpoist For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (08-02-2011)

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Hey Steve... I do believe it depends on the motivations of the person you are disagreeing with. Some you can learn from, some are just goofy.

Steve W Spry Guest

Good point and I agree with that point

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    Hey Steve... I do believe it depends on the motivations of the person you are disagreeing with. Some you can learn from, some are just goofy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

I think that early in your martial arts journey you will probably have alot to learn from people you may disagree with, based on your own preconceived ideas and thoughts, however at some point you should have picked up knowledge and understanding of all ranges, and if you are serious, also types of movement. From then on you really should learn more from people you agree with, or rather people who are teaching you something that fits in with what you understand to be true about a given range, but might not know yet within it. If you are still disagreeing with so many people and changing your mind because they are right then you have wasted alot of time learning bad stuff.

now if you are talking about abstract stuff, like politics, religion, or non movement type stuff then sure you could learn from people you disagree with.

I would say at this point I have disagreements with people and will test out what they are saying and what I am saying. Much more often then not now I will be able to prove them wrong. Although I still have plenty to learn, I tend to keep an open mind to the stuff I am not sure about, and will vigorously test anything that anyone will disagree with strongly enough to want to test it with me. Disagreeing with someone over a law of motion is stupid. Disagreeing with someone over a preference for action that follows the laws of motion is opinion and is fine.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckyKBoxer For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-18-2011),godlikeskill (08-03-2011)

Steve W Spry Guest

Valid points you should have a grasp and understanding by thus point.

Good Call

Steve

[

QUOTE=LuckyKBoxer;147294]I think that early in your martial arts journey you will probably have alot to learn from people you may disagree with, based on your own preconceived ideas and thoughts, however at some point you should have picked up knowledge and understanding of all ranges, and if you are serious, also types of movement. From then on you really should learn more from people you agree with, or rather people who are teaching you something that fits in with what you understand to be true about a given range, but might not know yet within it. If you are still disagreeing with so many people and changing your mind because they are right then you have wasted alot of time learning bad stuff.

now if you are talking about abstract stuff, like politics, religion, or non movement type stuff then sure you could learn from people you disagree with.

I would say at this point I have disagreements with people and will test out what they are saying and what I am saying. Much more often then not now I will be able to prove them wrong. Although I still have plenty to learn, I tend to keep an open mind to the stuff I am not sure about, and will vigorously test anything that anyone will disagree with strongly enough to want to test it with me. Disagreeing with someone over a law of motion is stupid. Disagreeing with someone over a preference for action that follows the laws of motion is opinion and is fine.[/QUOTE]

Steve W Spry Guest

Valid points you should have a grasp and understanding by this point.

Good Call

Steve

[

QUOTE=LuckyKBoxer;147294]I think that early in your martial arts journey you will probably have alot to learn from people you may disagree with, based on your own preconceived ideas and thoughts, however at some point you should have picked up knowledge and understanding of all ranges, and if you are serious, also types of movement. From then on you really should learn more from people you agree with, or rather people who are teaching you something that fits in with what you understand to be true about a given range, but might not know yet within it. If you are still disagreeing with so many people and changing your mind because they are right then you have wasted alot of time learning bad stuff.

I would say at this point I have disagreements with people and will test out what they are saying and what I am saying. Much more often then not now I will be able to prove them wrong. Although I still have plenty to learn, I tend to keep an open mind to the stuff I am not sure about, and will vigorously test anything that anyone will disagree with strongly enough to want to test it with me. Disagreeing with someone over a law of motion is stupid. Disagreeing with someone over a preference for action that follows the laws of motion is opinion and is fine.[/QUOTE]

Steve W Spry Guest

Valid points you should have a grasp and understanding by thus point.

Good Call

Steve

[

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W Spry View Post
    Do you learn more from who you agree with or disagree with. WHY?

Steve Spry
    I believe it all depends on the other person... If I agree with someone all the time, is it because they are smart or because I idolize or look up to them? If I disagree with them, do they challenge me to further explain and prove my point? Do they offer points that make me question my opinions.

Good question.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,189 Posts

It depends. If I'm learning something for the first time, I learn more from agreeing because I have no knowledge to base my disagreement on. Once I have knowledge in a specific area, I find that challenging the ideas gets me more than just passively agreeing with what's said. My brain is more engaged when I'm debating and discussing, as opposed to just listening.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks

I would have to point out that at any given time be willing to question your beliefs. If it is from someone you agree or disagree with is immaterial.

If you constantly are willing to question everything you have one of two outcomes. You either discover a new perceived truth, or you reinforce your existing perceived truth. At least until you are presented with more data and then you can question it all over again.

I say perceived truth because all too often what we have faith in or believe as a solid fact has a way of falling apart when presented with new information.

What do you mean the sun does not revolve around us?!?! That's just madness!!!!!
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

You can learn something from anyone, even if they don't believe the BS their preaching . In regards to martial arts if it is something im familar with or have some knowledge of, i tend to look at why i support my own beliefs. If its something im not familar with, i will 1st use logic then some testing and research of my own before agreeing or disagreeing.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I have a question for the OP. At what point do you stop Questioning yourself and back-up your beliefs regardless?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by godlikeskill View Post
    I have a question for the OP. At what point do you stop Questioning yourself and back-up your beliefs regardless?

You never back up your beliefs regardless.

Back up your beliefs sure, back them up with your facts.. but if you are in a debate and offered new information one must be willing to explore the new possibilities. Granted, some information is worth more energy exploring than others.

but Growth requires the willingness to take the effort.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Steve W Spry Guest

I value your response and answer. I also lesson for two reason

1. The topic or subject in question that's being discuss could shed new light on a given area I had not consider before.

2. The topic of the discussion if I may not gain any more insight it can reassure me that I'm on the right path.

Either way it's myself that is the benefactor or reception of this new or reenforced knowledge by being exposed to both.

Thanks

Steve Spry

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    I would have to point out that at any given time be willing to question your beliefs. If it is from someone you agree or disagree with is immaterial.

If you constantly are willing to question everything you have one of two outcomes. You either discover a new perceived truth, or you reinforce your existing perceived truth. At least until you are presented with more data and then you can question it all over again.

I say perceived truth because all too often what we have faith in or believe as a solid fact has a way of falling apart when presented with new information.

What do you mean the sun does not revolve around us?!?! That's just madness!!!!!

Steve W Spry Guest

I agree with your answer, your have to take a bit before you can even start to digest it contents.

I value my both good and bad for without it I found not have a separation point from one to the other. The worst is as valuable to me as is the best. For the worst insured my of what I knew I did not wish to become by laying the foundation of what it was I learned was completely wrong for myself fist then latter for others. But I value that time I had to learn

Steve Spry

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    It depends. If I'm learning something for the first time, I learn more from agreeing because I have no knowledge to base my disagreement on. Once I have knowledge in a specific area, I find that challenging the ideas gets me more than just passively agreeing with what's said. My brain is more engaged when I'm debating and discussing, as opposed to just listening.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W Spry View Post
    I agree with your answer, your have to take a bit before you can even start to digest it contents.

I value my both good and bad for without it I found not have a separation point from one to the other. The worst is as valuable to me as is the best. For the worst insured my of what I knew I did not wish to become by laying the foundation of what it was I learned was completely wrong for myself fist then latter for others. But I value that time I had to learn

Steve Spry
    The hard part is knowing when it's time to question, and when it's just time to shut up and listen. Someday, I might even figure it out, but I'm not holding out much hope.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Steve W Spry Guest

When in dough is always the time to ask, you can't be wrong ever by gathering more intel. The most important ANSWER EVER STARTED OUT AS A QUESTION.. Ask others my laugh but they will be rewarded for your Courage Little Brother

Steve Spry

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    The hard part is knowing when it's time to question, and when it's just time to shut up and listen. Someday, I might even figure it out, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links