Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comment on the on the video says how yellow belt techniques can suck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 839 Posts

Default Comment on the on the video says how yellow belt techniques can suck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxESl...re=grec_browse

I think if he understood the technique and taught his students not to Auto-cat, they would be able to choose and would be fine.

My definition, auto-cat = Blocking and going directly to a cat because the next thing in the technique is a kick, so basically working from memorization. No good in combat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Default Re: Comment on the on the video says how yellow belt techniques can suck

A guy once showed me that you should block and kick at the same time even. I wasn't so sure about that...
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Thanks

Default Re: Comment on the on the video says how yellow belt techniques can suck

i think if he/everyone kept the instigator's attack as a grab instead they would be better off as well.. the student had his forearm right by his neck.. he could have left it in there to create space, but instead let clyde get closer.. this vid is two cans of worms.. 1. it's delayed sword. 2. it's clyde..

have a fun gun carrying kenpo day or something along those lines.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

MarkC (10-09-2010),Mikael151 (10-10-2010),sigung86 (10-09-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    i think if he/everyone kept the instigator's attack as a grab instead they would be better off as well.. the student had his forearm right by his neck.. he could have left it in there to create space, but instead let clyde get closer.. this vid is two cans of worms.. 1. it's delayed sword. 2. it's clyde..

have a fun gun carrying kenpo day or something along those lines.
    Yeah unfortunately there are more people with little understanding saying the techniques don't work, than there are with even an orange belt's understanding.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eastcoastkenpoist For This Useful Post:

sigung86 (10-09-2010)

Z-Rex is offline Zoran Sevic
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastkenpoist View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxESl...re=grec_browse

I think if he understood the technique and taught his students not to Auto-cat, they would be able to choose and would be fine.

My definition, auto-cat = Blocking and going directly to a cat because the next thing in the technique is a kick, so basically working from memorization. No good in combat.
    Anyone can make any tech look bad when taken out of context.
    God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak.
    Unfortunantly, he gave us 2 eyes and 10 fingers, which explains the problems we get on the internet.~Zoran

Zoran "Z-Rex" Sevic | My Facebook | My YouTube Channel | Where I Teach |
    Like a T-Rex with longer arms

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Z-Rex For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (10-09-2010),KenpoGhost (10-09-2010),punisher73 (10-11-2010),robertk (10-12-2010),sigung86 (10-09-2010),toejoe2k (11-24-2010)

Mac
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

The defender would not have been tackled if he used a stronger kick to any target(either leg or the groin). The kick was not to the traditional target, but if he would have followed through with it the attackers knee would have been damaged or the attacker would have been jammed(since the kick was above the knee).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    The defender would not have been tackled if he used a stronger kick to any target(either leg or the groin). The kick was not to the traditional target, but if he would have followed through with it the attackers knee would have been damaged or the attacker would have been jammed(since the kick was above the knee).
    I disagree. If an opponent is charging you and trying to take your space, you will need more stability than one leg can provide. That is why you can't launch back directly to a cat, your opponent may not know that he is supposed to stop at contact range.

I think this is the point he was trying to make with his student, but he doesn't seem to understand the larger idea.
    Last edited by Eastcoastkenpoist; 10-09-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eastcoastkenpoist For This Useful Post:

Carol (10-11-2010),sigung86 (10-09-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Rex View Post
    Anyone can make any tech look bad when taken out of context.
    This is a very good argument. Also, nearly any clip can look wrong when taken out of context, too. I have no experience regarding this fellow so I can't put this message into greater context, so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that there was something smarter presented outside of the 30 seconds shown. Was it possible that he was talking about the strengths first and then the clip showed a what if?

Just trying to be fair...
    "If a person prefers to do something another way, and he is happy with his results, no one can tell him he's wrong" Ed Parker, as quoted by Doc

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone_dragone For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (11-24-2010),Z-Rex (10-09-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stone_dragone View Post
    This is a very good argument. Also, nearly any clip can look wrong when taken out of context, too. I have no experience regarding this fellow so I can't put this message into greater context, so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that there was something smarter presented outside of the 30 seconds shown. Was it possible that he was talking about the strengths first and then the clip showed a what if?

Just trying to be fair...
    I would have given him some benefit of the doubt, if the posting comment was not there.

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Interestingly, at least to me, is we start with techniques at the yellow belt level. This is delayed sword, and it is against yada-yada attack. Then we bring in someone like Clyde... And we haven't spoken in years, but I mean the man no ill.

Clyde, immediately takes a yellow belt technique with what I assume were yellow belt students and then tears it down, showing the "weakness" of the technique and how vulnerable the student is....

At the risk of irritating anyone... Well, Duh! No matter who it may be doing it. I kind of wonder how that all works in the mind of a beginning student.

We tell the student, "Kenpo is one of, if not, the greatest art for defense in the whole wide world. Except there's one tiny problem... The techniques aren't going to make you impervious". I'm thinking that simply making them appear weak, and out of context, might not be such a great confidence builder.

When you get that kind of action, how many of those Yellow Belts are going to get to orange, or purple before they give up and go play golf or take up Hapkido?

I know, I know, call me an old poop, but that is the original system and the intent of the belt levels. Behind the advancement at different belt levels is the learning and what ifs.

One can't, realistically, walk into begin lessons and two weeks later know enough to employ a particular technique, as it is, with all the variables that can occur in the natural course of human on human combat.

Just thinking out loud.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sigung86 For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (11-18-2010),J Ellis (10-09-2010),KenpoGhost (10-09-2010),Mac (10-09-2010),MarkC (10-09-2010),Mikael151 (10-10-2010),Z-Rex (10-09-2010)

Mac
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastkenpoist View Post
    I disagree. If an opponent is charging you and trying to take your space, you will need more stability than one leg can provide. That is why you can't launch back directly to a cat, your opponent may not know that he is supposed to stop at contact range.

I think this is the point he was trying to make with his student, but he doesn't seem to understand the larger idea.
    Obviously if the person is charging you may want to use another tech, but this defense will work with the attack shown. I never use a cat, my stance is more of a neutral bow and the kick goes straight to the target. I am taking his space.
    The attacker started with a punch that turned into a charge. this would not have happened. The attacker would have been on the ground screaming because of the busted knee.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

JamesB (10-10-2010),Kristospheros (11-18-2010),toejoe2k (11-24-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

Last time I checked, Delayed Sword is not a defense against a punch or a tackle, shoot, whatever.
    Anyway, one thing that always happens when you have a person sowing how a shoot or tackle of whatever will work against a punch or kick, is that the person attacking has no reservations about giving it everything he's got in order to achieve the takedown. The defender usually holds back a lot and doesn't execute his kick or strike with anything near full power.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (10-09-2010),Kristospheros (11-18-2010),sigung86 (10-10-2010),stone_dragone (10-10-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Last time I checked, Delayed Sword is not a defense against a punch or a tackle, shoot, whatever.
    Anyway, one thing that always happens when you have a person sowing how a shoot or tackle of whatever will work against a punch or kick, is that the person attacking has no reservations about giving it everything he's got in order to achieve the takedown. The defender usually holds back a lot and doesn't execute his kick or strike with anything near full power.
    you beat me to it

you can see it here and you can see it in many of the old Gracie Challenge videos. The strikers are playing at sparring-level of intensity, the take-downer is going a lot harder.

IMHO this video shows the importance of understanding how to manage the attackers forward momentum, and control teh depth of the encounter. The tech as executed here does none of that.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (10-09-2010),Kristospheros (11-18-2010),sigung86 (10-10-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 666 Posts

If all players were allowed to be spontaneous ...

It seems like a good place for a spontaneous use of Intercepting the Ram.

I wonder how the lesson would have proceeded if the attacker received an inward downward elbow, with marriage of gravity, to the spine.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (10-09-2010),Kristospheros (11-18-2010)

Z-Rex is offline Zoran Sevic
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 607 Posts

I think that was Joshua Ryer being attacked. In either case, he reacted well even though he was set up for it. Ended up in a strong position. Clyde's take down maneuver was weak, although he may have not been trying and was only trying to get a point across.
    God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak.
    Unfortunantly, he gave us 2 eyes and 10 fingers, which explains the problems we get on the internet.~Zoran

Zoran "Z-Rex" Sevic | My Facebook | My YouTube Channel | Where I Teach |
    Like a T-Rex with longer arms

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z-Rex For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (10-09-2010),JamesB (10-10-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

If you tell someone to do any given tech, and suddenly do a different attack, you will find that by placing that tech in their head, it will cause a bit of confusion... the first time.
    Sean

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

Carol (10-11-2010),J Ellis (10-10-2010),JamesB (10-10-2010),Kristospheros (11-18-2010),MarkC (10-10-2010),Mikael151 (10-10-2010),sigung86 (10-10-2010)

Thanks

I think that was Joshua Ryer being attacked. In either case, he reacted well even though he was set up for it. Ended up in a strong position. Clyde's take down maneuver was weak, although he may have not been trying and was only trying to get a point across.
    I missed that point the first time, good catch!
    "If a person prefers to do something another way, and he is happy with his results, no one can tell him he's wrong" Ed Parker, as quoted by Doc

30. The Following User Says Thank You to stone_dragone For This Useful Post:

Z-Rex (10-10-2010)

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Hey Guys,

That being the case, then I made a couple bad assumptions... And so do apologize. However, it still bodes no one well to work a technique incorrectly. The only other way that I know to do that "thing" well is to not concentrate on the techniques, but only on reactions, ala Frank Soto. Good? Bad? Dunno, it's your Kenpo, and therefore, your call.

Philosophically, I don't know if it's good or bad, physically, after having been in and at Kenpo since '71, I'm kind of stuck in the old days of "perfect" teaching techniques and then what ifs. Still not sure that the way it was done is best, but I'm not militant about how others do it.

Hope you all won't cast too evil an eye my way. LOL!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigung86 For This Useful Post:

MarkC (10-10-2010),Z-Rex (10-10-2010)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    If you tell someone to do any given tech, and suddenly do a different attack, you will find that by placing that tech in their head, it will cause a bit of confusion... the first time.
    Sean
    This is not the first time this clip has been posted here. I made similar comments way back but was generally ignored lol. We are in agreement on alot here:

1. Student is told to do delayed sword (against a punch).
    2. Attacker (clyde) gives a weak, uncommited punch that is nowhere near hitting its target, he then goes for the shoot and takes the poor guy down (clyde is a big, heavy guy, no surprise here).

Basically, the student was setup to fail. This was not a logical, systematic exploration of the technique, because delayed sword calls for an aggressive grab, not the half-hearted punch/shoot combo which was used to 'prove' that delayed sword doesn't work.

If the student was given the option of reacting to the attack as presented, he would have firstly push-dragged in reverse and attempted a hammering block at the punching wrist. With that option now gone (as the tackle has begun) the student could have done any manner of things - downward forearm block to the back of the neck as he continues the movement from the inward block for example. But he did none of these things as he was instructed not to.

I'm still unsure what this video is supposed to be demonstrating - but logical thinking is presumably not one of them lol.

A few conclusions:
    1. I'm sure Clyde will tell you that D.S. works just fine if done right.
    2. We cannot hear what the heck he is saying, and have no idea of the wider context in the class or what he was trying to teach
    3. We never 'auto cat' in this technique - 'auto foward-bow' is a better option has it aligns us for a potential follow-up kick and keeps our structure intact in case of incoming tackle.

If Clyde was demonstrating that drawing back to a cat-stance is a very bad idea, then he is spot-on. We never get to see what his solution is however.

I maintain that the scenario as presented in the video is majorly flawed.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JamesB For This Useful Post:

Carol (10-11-2010),J Ellis (10-10-2010),KenpoChanger (10-11-2010),MarkC (10-10-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    This is not the first time this clip has been posted here. I made similar comments way back but was generally ignored lol. We are in agreement on alot here:

1. Student is told to do delayed sword (against a punch).
    2. Attacker (clyde) gives a weak, uncommited punch that is nowhere near hitting its target, he then goes for the shoot and takes the poor guy down (clyde is a big, heavy guy, no surprise here).

Basically, the student was setup to fail. This was not a logical, systematic exploration of the technique, because delayed sword calls for an aggressive grab, not the half-hearted punch/shoot combo which was used to 'prove' that delayed sword doesn't work.

If the student was given the option of reacting to the attack as presented, he would have firstly push-dragged in reverse and attempted a hammering block at the punching wrist. With that option now gone (as the tackle has begun) the student could have done any manner of things - downward forearm block to the back of the neck as he continues the movement from the inward block for example. But he did none of these things as he was instructed not to.

I'm still unsure what this video is supposed to be demonstrating - but logical thinking is presumably not one of them lol.

A few conclusions:
    1. I'm sure Clyde will tell you that D.S. works just fine if done right.
    2. We cannot hear what the heck he is saying, and have no idea of the wider context in the class or what he was trying to teach
    3. We never 'auto cat' in this technique - 'auto foward-bow' is a better option has it aligns us for a potential follow-up kick and keeps our structure intact in case of incoming tackle.

If Clyde was demonstrating that drawing back to a cat-stance is a very bad idea, then he is spot-on. We never get to see what his solution is however.

I maintain that the scenario as presented in the video is majorly flawed.
    I think this post sums it up very well. This is almost one of these "don't think of a purple elephant" situations. I bet I know what you are thinking about right now.

If this is Clyde's premise, then he is drawing the wrong conclusion. If this is someone else posting a video of Clyde, perhaps the context is being misunderstood by the poster.

If I were working in a garage with someone like this, I envision it a frustrating experience:

Person: I want you to tighten these 13mm nuts, can you do this?

Me: Of course, do you think I'm an idiot, hand me the wrench.

Personhands me a twinkie)

Me: This is a twinkie, not a wrench, I can't do what you want.

Person: Wow, you suck. Wrenches suck too. You should have seen that coming.

Me: World Taekwondo Federation!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Barnes For This Useful Post:

Carol (10-11-2010),Mikael151 (10-10-2010)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links