Visit Our Sponsors

Annual Bob and Barbara White Invitational on Saturday March 23, 2014Hubbard Photography presents Martial Arts Photography Worry Free Managed Wordpress Hosting by SilverStar WebDesigns Inc. Click for more details!

Thread: Can anyone learn to do a full split?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Can anyone learn to do a full split?

At 35?

Thanks

Default Re: Can anyone learn to do a full split?

You can do anything you really want to do...how determind are you?

I understand that you can do it in about three months, however I guess I am not that determind.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

toejoe2k is offline Goofball Extrodinaire
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooInvolved View Post
    At 35?
    I sure wish I could...well could have. I'm not 35 anymore.
    ~Bill Richardson
    www.jeffspeakmantexas.com

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

I have a clip of myself dropping into a split....but it was 17 years ago!
    "Fall seven times, stand up eight." Japanese proverb

"I've seen some cats do some crazy stuff like bending swords with their necks and breaking flaming bricks... thats great and all but can they fight?" *shrugs* Moses Powell

-Hank Colado

Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 816 Posts

At 35?
    Depends on your definition of a "full split"...

...And your physical characteristics of hips, and both sets of hamstrings.

...then, what is the pupose that you want that?

I personally no longer do splits, but I up until my mid 50's.

And at 6x's years old I still kick my students in the head.

There is technologies of flexibility that can be used, along with dietary supplements that do help tremendously.

Again, just for "spliting"

Or for another purpose?

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

sigung86 (03-20-2008)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

full split? no problem at all,,just give me a min i will put up a picture of me doing a full split, but of course i will have to " AIR BRUSH " it first.
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Depends on your definition of a "full split"...

...And your physical characteristics of hips, and both sets of hamstrings.

...then, what is the pupose that you want that?

I personally no longer do splits, but I up until my mid 50's.

And at 6x's years old I still kick my students in the head.

There is technologies of flexibility that can be used, along with dietary supplements that do help tremendously.

Again, just for "spliting"

Or for another purpose?

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    I want to do one mainly for the sense of accomplishment. Of course I'd also like increased flexibility in general and better kicks!! Could you please elaborate on the technologies of flexibility and dietary supplements you mentioned? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 901 Posts

I've been trying for decades...and can't. I can get pretty darn close, but I think that I simply have too much "gristle" now. LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

at 40 I can still do a full front split with a small warmup.
    Martin Seck - CAROLINA KENPO - Offering Private & Semi-Private Instruction in Raleigh, NC

Thanks

I want to do one mainly for the sense of accomplishment. Of course I'd also like increased flexibility in general and better kicks!! Could you please elaborate on the technologies of flexibility and dietary supplements you mentioned? Thanks!
    I've already posted those tactics to kenpotalk.

You might want to use the "search" engine to find them.

If you can't find them, let me know and I'll redo them.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I've been trying for decades...and can't. I can get pretty darn close, but I think that I simply have too much "gristle" now. LOL
    Celtic,

I hate to tell you, "It ain't gristle", it's the "Kenpo Curse".

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

13. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (03-21-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 1,003 Posts

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters,

My late father , Nels, learned to to full splits in his 50's and retained this ability well into his 70's and beyond. He passed away at the age of 86. At 80 years of age he could still kick above his head.

My father used to practice his splits in our cork floor dining room with a pair of slippery socks on his feet. He controlled his descent by learning forward on his extended arms on his palms and GRADUALLY increasing his flexibility day by day. Dad studied Kung Fu at one time so he also did a daily tendon strengthening and stretching excercise called the "Eight Pieces of Brocade." My father became so nimble at the age of 80 he could still sit on the floor with his legs loocked out, grab his feet and pull his chest to his knees. He also lifted hand weights every other day to help strengthen his body well beyond the point of many others even half of his age.

It can be done my friend! Dad always told me that his secret was to go slow and not overdue your excercise as it takes many days to repair what you break down due to careless technique.

I hope this helps to encourage you.

Nelson Kari

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (03-26-2008),Martin Seck (03-22-2008),Thusgone (07-25-2008),toejoe2k (03-30-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    I've already posted those tactics to kenpotalk.

You might want to use the "search" engine to find them.

If you can't find them, let me know and I'll redo them.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Here it is:

You are after flexibility for kicking effectively, which is much different than stretching. And from your context it is for kicking with a side kick.

1. First hit it with the nutrition.

Take a tablespoon of flax seed oil, or olive oil daily. It will help all the joints and all of the tendons and ligaments.

2. Be sure that the physical Master Keys to that kick are correct. Here’s what I mean. Many times when someone quits a physical skill, and then go back to it, they have forgotten some of the real simple basics of that movement.

One of the most common errors on a side thrust kick is the single point balance is wrong. Normally the balancing foot is NOT turned to the correct angle for them to have hip freedom with their kicking leg.

So if you are standing on a clock facing 12 o’clock and are going to be side kicking to 3 o’clock, then your left foot single point balance should be somewhere on the approximate 9:30-10:30 line. And the higher you want to kick the more the single point balance should be towards the 9:30 line.

3. When doing a side kick, there are 3 ways to get into position. Stand and kick. Rear cross-over and kick, and front cross-over and kick. To be sure the hip of the kicking leg is in the proper position, it’s best to start with the rear-cross-over and start with a slightly exaggerated rear-cross over, one that will actually turn that hit BEFORE you do the side kick…

4. The lymphatics in the belly, hips, butt and thighs collect toxins. Those toxins are normally removed through exercise and massage. If you’ve not been doing a lot of running, those parts of your body will be clogged, and you’ll have restricted leg flexibility.

So with your finger tips, deeply massage inside the rib cage line, along the pubic bone, on the gluts, down the outer sides of the thighs, and along the inner thighs. You are removing the toxins from the small intestine lymphatics, the Circulation Sex lymphatics and the large intestine lymphatics. That 2 minute drill will greatly increase your flexibility INSTANTLY.

Groin muscle injuries? Massage with peanut oil on that tendon for 10 minutes. Also walk the massage from the groin down the inner back thigh to the back of the knee. You want to get the entire tendon. Do twice a day.

I am more than double 30 years old and I still kick my students in the head. I’ve broken my toes, tore my ligaments, torn muscles, torn out my hips, broke my back, blab, blab, blab and I still have found ways that enhance kicking skills simplify and easily for those after the age of 30.

Rob also gave some good advice. General, relaxed non-invasive slow stretching, over a period of 20-30 minutes is very good for gaining thigh and hip flexibility.

There is also a sweaty warm-up time that is also necessary, at least until you have the skill and the flexibility down.

Have fun.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

~ Jarhead
    Semper Fidelis

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarhead For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-23-2008),toejoe2k (03-30-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters,

My late father , Nels, learned to to full splits in his 50's and retained this ability well into his 70's and beyond. He passed away at the age of 86. At 80 years of age he could still kick above his head.

My father used to practice his splits in our cork floor dining room with a pair of slippery socks on his feet. He controlled his descent by learning forward on his extended arms on his palms and GRADUALLY increasing his flexibility day by day. Dad studied Kung Fu at one time so he also did a daily tendon strengthening and stretching excercise called the "Eight Pieces of Brocade." My father became so nimble at the age of 80 he could still sit on the floor with his legs loocked out, grab his feet and pull his chest to his knees. He also lifted hand weights every other day to help strengthen his body well beyond the point of many others even half of his age.

It can be done my friend! Dad always told me that his secret was to go slow and not overdue your excercise as it takes many days to repair what you break down due to careless technique.

I hope this helps to encourage you.

Nelson Kari
    I love hearing stories like this ... thank you for sharing it!
    Martin Seck - CAROLINA KENPO - Offering Private & Semi-Private Instruction in Raleigh, NC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Here it is:

You are after flexibility for kicking effectively, which is much different than stretching. And from your context it is for kicking with a side kick.

1. First hit it with the nutrition.
    Take a tablespoon of flax seed oil, or olive oil daily. It will help all the joints and all of the tendons and ligaments.

2. Be sure that the physical Master Keys to that kick are correct. Here’s what I mean. Many times when someone quits a physical skill, and then go back to it, they have forgotten some of the real simple basics of that movement.

One of the most common errors on a side thrust kick is the single point balance is wrong. Normally the balancing foot is NOT turned to the correct angle for them to have hip freedom with their kicking leg.

So if you are standing on a clock facing 12 o’clock and are going to be side kicking to 3 o’clock, then your left foot single point balance should be somewhere on the approximate 9:30-10:30 line. And the higher you want to kick the more the single point balance should be towards the 9:30 line.

3. When doing a side kick, there are 3 ways to get into position. Stand and kick. Rear cross-over and kick, and front cross-over and kick. To be sure the hip of the kicking leg is in the proper position, it’s best to start with the rear-cross-over and start with a slightly exaggerated rear-cross over, one that will actually turn that hit BEFORE you do the side kick…

4. The lymphatics in the belly, hips, butt and thighs collect toxins. Those toxins are normally removed through exercise and massage. If you’ve not been doing a lot of running, those parts of your body will be clogged, and you’ll have restricted leg flexibility.

So with your finger tips, deeply massage inside the rib cage line, along the pubic bone, on the gluts, down the outer sides of the thighs, and along the inner thighs. You are removing the toxins from the small intestine lymphatics, the Circulation Sex lymphatics and the large intestine lymphatics. That 2 minute drill will greatly increase your flexibility INSTANTLY.

Groin muscle injuries? Massage with peanut oil on that tendon for 10 minutes. Also walk the massage from the groin down the inner back thigh to the back of the knee. You want to get the entire tendon. Do twice a day.

I am more than double 30 years old and I still kick my students in the head. I’ve broken my toes, tore my ligaments, torn muscles, torn out my hips, broke my back, blab, blab, blab and I still have found ways that enhance kicking skills simplify and easily for those after the age of 30.

Rob also gave some good advice. General, relaxed non-invasive slow stretching, over a period of 20-30 minutes is very good for gaining thigh and hip flexibility.

There is also a sweaty warm-up time that is also necessary, at least until you have the skill and the flexibility down.

Have fun.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

~ Jarhead
    I'm pretty sure that I also had another 3-5 posts that added to that one post.

Sincerely,
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thread Information