Thread: Ultra Happy Fun Time!

Thanks

Default Ultra Happy Fun Time!

after we bow in, Mr Smith sometimes turns us over to Martin, who usually warms us up before class, Martin has a workout routine we like to call "Ultra Happy Fun Time" or UHFT.. lol i think i coined the phrase, but im not sure.. think of it as a corny japanese translation for a game show or something

but basically here is an example.. this is what we did tuesday anyways..

roughly half an hour or more warming up

constantly running in place, boxer shuffle, or sparring hops.. bottom line, stay moving.... all to progressive metal. playing on the sound systme. nightwish, lacuna coil, dream theater, stuff like that.. sometimes BLS

30 pushups, 30 crunches, 30 4x flutter kicks (120 for the mathmatically challanged lol), 30 jumping jacks, 30 half squats, 30 forearm pushups
    resume running after each untill the next one is called out. roughly 2 minutes between exercises

sudden death round 1.. 10 of each exercise, whichever order you prefer, one immediatly after the other

resume running for a few minutes..

sudden death round 2.. 15 of each exercise, same as before..

walk it off and get some water.. needless to say it can be quite exhausting.. but even the white belts can keep up (sometimes i have to keep up), so hey.. it cant be to bad right? we used to run around the mat before the class got bigger, and Martin got hit on his bike...

THEN after he's done with us, if Mr. Smith is feeling particularly sadistic, we'll go straight to basics, and wall stretches before actual class..
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default Re: Ultra Happy Fun Time!

I'm guessing there aren't many overweight people in your class....LOL!!

That looks like an AWESOME workout! Thanks for sharing that!

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Awesome workout. We get days like that and they are a helluva work out.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

My first exercise class was like that. I had never been able to hear a beat or dance (still not that good but I try). The instructor put on the album (ancient form of CD used by cave dwellers) from Dirty Dancing. It was 1989 and for the first time in my short 30 years I heard a beat and moved. WOW! I love to feel the movement as I do my Kenpo. Sounds like a grrreat class!
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

My sensei used music as we did rounds on the bags the other night. With me I find that the music helps push through the fatigue and pain.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    after we bow in, Mr Smith sometimes turns us over to Martin, who usually warms us up before class, Martin has a workout routine we like to call "Ultra Happy Fun Time" or UHFT.. lol i think i coined the phrase, but im not sure.. think of it as a corny japanese translation for a game show or something

but basically here is an example.. this is what we did tuesday anyways..

roughly half an hour or more warming up

constantly running in place, boxer shuffle, or sparring hops.. bottom line, stay moving.... all to progressive metal. playing on the sound systme. nightwish, lacuna coil, dream theater, stuff like that.. sometimes BLS

30 pushups, 30 crunches, 30 4x flutter kicks (120 for the mathmatically challanged lol), 30 jumping jacks, 30 half squats, 30 forearm pushups
    resume running after each untill the next one is called out. roughly 2 minutes between exercises

sudden death round 1.. 10 of each exercise, whichever order you prefer, one immediatly after the other

resume running for a few minutes..

sudden death round 2.. 15 of each exercise, same as before..

walk it off and get some water.. needless to say it can be quite exhausting.. but even the white belts can keep up (sometimes i have to keep up), so hey.. it cant be to bad right? we used to run around the mat before the class got bigger, and Martin got hit on his bike...

THEN after he's done with us, if Mr. Smith is feeling particularly sadistic, we'll go straight to basics, and wall stretches before actual class..
    Although I could benefit from more exercise, I pay too much for my limited available time at the dojo to spend this much of it doing calisthenics... I pay (much less) for a gym membership. I am not saying that what you are doing is BAD, it's just different than what we do.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

1point21Jigowatts (09-14-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

On my mp3 player I have a folder called "fight songs" that holds a slew of music that inspires me to work out hard. I guess I would call that my "UHFT" because I really do feel like I can go longer and harder when playing my music. I listen to it before karate class or during my workouts at the gym. Mostly gangster / hard rap and hip hop, anything with BOOMing beats. T.I., Crime Mob, Kanye West, Chamillionaire, anything by 50 Cent... you name it.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

sounds like a helluva workout, but i think i'm with David C on this one. I can do cardiovascular conditioning by myself. (i don't, but theoretically, i could) i'd rather spend valuable time with live partners doing live partner type stuff.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finn View Post
    (ancient form of CD used by cave dwellers)
    what's a CD???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    Although I could benefit from more exercise, I pay too much for my limited available time at the dojo to spend this much of it doing calisthenics... I pay (much less) for a gym membership. I am not saying that what you are doing is BAD, it's just different than what we do.
    no offence taken.. and i totally understand where you're coming from, some days i feel that way, (its usually maybe 3-4x a month).. but usually the warmup doesnt infringe on class time though.. the "schedule" says 6:30-7:30.. but usually it runs till like 8:30, sometimes close to 9... tuesdays and thursdays..

but i like the philosophy of "if you can train exhausted and worn out, hopefully you can fight exhausted and worn out" basically. even if its a rough philosophy to live by
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

My training partner is in the Massachusetts Guard, I'm dying to rip his CD of Army cadences. They keep ya moving

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

I'm just simply in too bad of shape for all that. I'd have nothing left for the kenpo, with all of my remaining attention being placed into remaining standing.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    My training partner is in the Massachusetts Guard, I'm dying to rip his CD of Army cadences. They keep ya moving

I've been out so long that most of them are a distant memory. Never thought about training to them.
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

wow that's some workout!
    I usually get cardio outside class. Our warmup is forms and sets and basics. But it sure feels good when we occasionally have a hardcore workout like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

I recently changed my schedule, previously I was inteh 1hr / twice a week classes.

Now I am in the 2hr / once a week class. In this class we do spend the first 20 minutes or so doing warm-ups : usually 50 front kicks, 50 side kicks, 50 each of 3 different punches... just enough to get a bit sweaty

In the 1 hour classes we did 5 minutes of calisthenics (Matt Furey I hate you! LOL)
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links