Thread: elbow question

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default elbow question

When I was playing high school baseball (10 years ago) I threw my arm out. The garbage thing about it was I played 3rd base and wasn't even pitching. Anyway, it wasn't my shoulder like most non-pitcher throwing problems. It wasn't a rotator cuff or anything, it was in the elbow. It never hurts or gives me any problem unless I extend it quickly, such as throwing a baseball or softball. I don't play much softball or baseball anymore, but the problem is, I'm now throwing jabs and it still tweaks a little bit when I throw jabs that fully extend. It doesn't give me any trouble whatsoever on uppercuts or hooks or shots that hit the target and my elbow doesn't extend.

I'm pretty sure it's not a muscle thing and I've had bone on bone problem in a different place before and it doesn't feel like that either. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Default Re: elbow question

Get a orthopedic doctor to look at it. In the meantime, make your instructor aware of it and adjust your movements as necessary until you get an experienced medical opinion about it. Don't try the end-runaround on this. You ignore joint issues at your own peril. If you don't treat these issues correctly they will only compound and snowball into other issues later.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Benny-AR (06-18-2007),Celtic_Crippler (06-18-2007),John M. La Tourrette (09-24-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hey Ben,

What you are describing can definatly be a muscle problem. It is easy to find out.

Brachialis
    Put your arm out straight in front of your at shoulder level with your palm up. You should be able to have your elbow a little hyper extended. If not it may be your Brachialis muscle is tight. It lies under your Biceps and attaches to your forearm on the ulna which is the long bone on the pinky side.

Brachioradialis
    Sit or stand with your elbows straight and your palm facing foward. You should be able to turn your palm fully facing behind without moving your shoulder.

Hand and Finger Extensors
    Put you arm out in front of you at shoulder dight with the elbow straight and the palm fgacing the floor. You wrist should be able to bend stright down. Thus far you have tested the wrist extensors. From this position curl your fingers up one at a time begining at the farthest joint and working your way up. Each one should curl up in a little ball.

Triceps & Anconeus
    Sit down and place your fingers of the affected arm on your shoulder by bending at the elbow. Use the other hand to bring the elbow up. It should go behind your ear. Make sure the elbow goes back straight. Most people let it go out to the side to get more motion. That would be cheating and a teacher like you should know better.

If these muscles are short let me know and we can work on how to correct that problem.

Richard
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Finn For This Useful Post:

Benny-AR (06-18-2007),John M. La Tourrette (09-24-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Get a orthopedic doctor to look at it. In the meantime, make your instructor aware of it and adjust your movements as necessary until you get an experienced medical opinion about it. Don't try the end-runaround on this. You ignore joint issues at your own peril. If you don't treat these issues correctly they will only compound and snowball into other issues later.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    I'm with Mr. Parsons on this one. Find a "sports" ortho, preferably one who "specializes" in elbows and shoulders...yes, they have their strong and weak points, and they are not all built the same. A quick review of the research literature online will find that surgery is not called for unless there's a complete rupture of the involved ligaments (a good sports ortho will know this, and not be quick to jump the gun...a generic oprtho with a boat payment to make, however, my be inclined to decide prematurely that surgery is required); however, non-operative care DOES require a properly trained Physical Therapist or equivalent, and only a really good sports doc will know which of the PT's in your area have that hands-on expertise.

Most common throwing injury associated with ball players, particularly in high school and college aged injuries, is medial ulnar collateral ligament, anterior oblique division. Caused by the repetitive valgus overload to the anterior oblique ligament bundle, which does most of the stabilization against valgus stress. Shows up due to the late cocking phase and acceleration phases in throwing motions.

Your ortho may want to shoot a contrast CT arthrogram to visualize the structures well for damage extent evaluation. Once he's decided if non-operative care is most appropriate, he's apt to send you to a PT who will use cross fristion massage over the ligament; counterstrain; and stretching and strengthening, particularly of flexor carpi radialis and pronator teres.

As someone who has been a sports Chiro working injury rehab for pro sports, I'll tell you this much out of frank honesty: Elbows are a bi**h. Even after everyone on the treatment team gives them their best, including the patient, they continue to nag, become easily inflamed again with minimal provocation, and never seem to completely heal (kind of like a wife in a bad marriage). I took to telling my elbow pt's ... get used to it. It'll be with you for the rest of your life, in some form or other.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't give it your best, however.

Be good,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (06-19-2007),Benny-AR (06-18-2007),John M. La Tourrette (09-24-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Wow, thanks for the responses, guys. Sounds like this might have gotten a bit more expensive. heh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benny-AR View Post
    When I was playing high school baseball (10 years ago) I threw my arm out. The garbage thing about it was I played 3rd base and wasn't even pitching. Anyway, it wasn't my shoulder like most non-pitcher throwing problems. It wasn't a rotator cuff or anything, it was in the elbow. It never hurts or gives me any problem unless I extend it quickly, such as throwing a baseball or softball. I don't play much softball or baseball anymore, but the problem is, I'm now throwing jabs and it still tweaks a little bit when I throw jabs that fully extend. It doesn't give me any trouble whatsoever on uppercuts or hooks or shots that hit the target and my elbow doesn't extend.

I'm pretty sure it's not a muscle thing and I've had bone on bone problem in a different place before and it doesn't feel like that either. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben
    All great suggestions given you so far.

And...

Because of your description I'd go to emofree.com, download their FREE manual, and use some energy psychology and just "tapp it out"

I've had tremendous success with many athletes by just working with their energies, their thoughts, and the perturbances in their meridian fields, and their morphic fields.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links