Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing weight on a budget

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Default Losing weight on a budget

Some tips from various threads at MartialTalk

Originally posted by KenpoGirl
    One tip for you and anyone who opts for fast food for convience sake is to go to all the fast food web sites and look at their nutritional guides. (They have to post them by law I believe) and see what you can and can not eat. Here are the biggies

McDonalds Menu Page

Burger King Menu section

Arby's Nutritional Guide

Denny's Nutritional Gude

Domino's Menu, look for the nutritional guides at the bottom of the lists

Swish Chalet Nutritional guide

Taco Bell Nutritional Guide

Just add up the calories of what you usually eat and see what you get.

Example. I usually order a Big Mac Combo when going to McDonalds. I looked it up on the site, for a Big Mac, Med Fries, and Med Sprite there are 1124 calories.

My current diet guide is 1200 to 1500 calories a day. That means this one meal took up nearly all of my calories for that day. Scary stuff eh?

No wonder the majority of people in North American (that includes Canadians) are over weight or obese. Something to think about.

Dot

http://www.annecollins.com/dieting/b...e-to-weigh.htm

Q. When dieting, when is the best time to weigh myself?
    The best time to weigh yourself on the weighing scales is when you get up in the morning.

As the day progresses, your weight can rise several pounds.

But don't weigh yourself more than once a week.
    This is asking for trouble!
    Some Tips: http://www.annecollins.com/weight-loss/fas...weight-loss.htm

You may want to give this site a look. Its got some tips that seem reasonable to me. Remember, a balanced diet, some excercize and a good nights sleep will be the healthiest way to go.

How to Lose Weight As Fast As Possible
    Rule No. 1
    Don't try to lose weight fast, without first checking with your doctor

Rule No. 2
    Don't waste your precious time trying to achieve the impossible!

The speed at which you can lose weight (without regaining it) is dependent on various factors. Including: Your present weight. Your general lifestyle. How active you are. How regular your lifestyle is. Your health & family history. The amount of stress in your life.

The fastest possible weight loss
    In my experience, the quickest that the "average" person can lose weight successfully
    is as follows:

If you're 224 pounds (16 stone) or more
    You can lose up to 4 pounds a week
    This adds up to 28 pounds (2 stone) in about 7 weeks

If you're 182 pounds (13 stone) or more
    You can lose up to 3 pounds a week
    This adds up to 28 pounds (2 stone) in about 9 weeks

If you're 154 pounds (11 stone) or more
    You can lose up to 2 pounds a week
    This adds up to 28 pounds (2 stone) in about 12 weeks

If you're under 154 pounds (11 stone)
    You can lose up to 1 pounds a week
    This adds up to about 14 pounds (1 stone) in 7-10 weeks

Does this sound too slow for you?
    I hope not. Because you won't do it any faster.
    Sure, you might LOSE weight faster.
    But you'll REGAIN it just as quickly.

See also: Fast Weight Loss Story 1 and Fast Weight Loss Story 2
    Rule No. 3
    Make sure you follow a sensible balanced diet

In my daily slimming consultancy, I meet many slimmers whose bodies have been wrecked by gimmicky diets, single-food plans and other nonsensical diet-programs. And it takes me ages to help them recover. So if you really want to lose weight fast, AVOID the gimmicky diets and choose a sensible diet plan that allows you lots to eat and offers a balanced menu.

Rule No. 4
    Never go hungry! Remember, hunger is still the biggest diet-killer!

Most slimmers still think that the less they eat, the faster they lose weight. This is nonsense.
    Why? Because food makes us happy. So the less we eat, the more uptight and miserable we get. Result? Hello cookies, Goodbye diet!

The moral? If you want to lose weight fast and keep it off, don't allow yourself to go hungry. A full stomach is still the best protection against temptation - so KEEP YOURS FULL.

Rule No. 5
    Make friends with good food!

We live in a fast-food society.
    We eat too much restaurant-food, junk food, instant snacks and processed foods.

These foods are usually very high in the two most-fattening ingredients: FAT and SUGAR.
    Which is why obesity is becoming such a problem, especially in America where an estimated 1 in 3 children are overweight (never mind the adults).

The moral? If you want to lose weight fast and keep it off, make friends with good food.

Fast Weight Loss Food Tips (Obvious, but important)
    1. Learn more about food and nutrition
    2. Do more home-cooking and less eating out
    3. When eating out, choose non-fat or healthy options
    4. When shopping, choose fresh foods whenever possible and buy less processed food
    5. Drink water, 100 per cent fruit juices diluted 1/2-1/2 water, or calorie-free soft drinks

For more information about sensible eating, click: Sensible Eating
    To find out how you can lose up to 28 pounds in 4 weeks, click: Weight Loss.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Default Re: Losing weight on a budget

Great stuff! I have a friend who's a pro trainer and he always stresses the fact that calories in must be less than calories out (I know sounds simple but I think it's a great mindset). Also rapid weight loss and just plain not eating is the wrong way to go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John Brewer For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (05-30-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crane557 View Post
    Great stuff! I have a friend who's a pro trainer and he always stresses the fact that calories in must be less than calories out (I know sounds simple but I think it's a great mindset). Also rapid weight loss and just plain not eating is the wrong way to go.

What works good for me...

Stay away from sugar, flour and carbonated drinks.

Eat 1 medium sized salad each day.

When eating out, eat only 1/2 (or less) what they serve you.

I went from 237 down to 211 in 3 months.

I exercise 4 times a week.

It's all pretty simple to do.
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Brother John (05-28-2007),Martin Seck (05-30-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    If this was true than why is over half of the population over weight or obese? Some people can follow a diet without any problem. Other's cheat and than ask why they aren't losing weight. That is what I can't stand. But it is my job to step in and try and help them.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Good point, I went from 190 to 165 in a little less than a year mostly by cutting out soda and refined grains.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to John Brewer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Great points!
    also: (or in other words) eat less and only when you genuinely FEEL hungry. (learn to tell the difference. ME? I "emotion" eat. Gotta know where you're coming from)
    Drink more water than any other thing.
    Get a little more sleep.
    Do more walking than you usually would, including at least 15-20 min of walking directly after eating your main meal(s) of the day.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    If this was true than why is over half of the population over weight or obese? Some people can follow a diet without any problem. Other's cheat and than ask why they aren't losing weight. That is what I can't stand. But it is my job to step in and try and help them.
    Being simple doesn't make it easy, since it involves change and long-term adherence. You're fighting an uphill battle, but that's good for job security, right?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sentinel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Actually the motivational probem is a problem.

If the "why" is NOT big enough, they just ain't going to do it.

If the WHY is BIG enough they can do just about any weight loss program and make it work well.

People do commit themselves to a 6 week Pritican diet by going there and they "employees" virtually make them stick to the eating and exercise routine.

A simple way to get the hypothalamus out of the way is the use of Gary Craig's free EFT procedures, procedures that work on clearing "negative energy perturbances" out of the aura, and clears blockages in the Meridians.

Just go to emofree.com to download their free manual.

Have fun.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crane557 View Post
    Good point, I went from 190 to 165 in a little less than a year mostly by cutting out soda and refined grains.
    That is GREAT!

And since you changed your eating habits, the weight stayed off.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    Great points!
    also: (or in other words) eat less and only when you genuinely FEEL hungry. (learn to tell the difference. ME? I "emotion" eat. Gotta know where you're coming from)
    A good point.

Many people eat when they feel "lonely" and NOT because they are hungry.

The feelings of hunger and loneliness occur about in the same body location.

Also, many people have secondary gains in the weight gain. I know one martial artist went up to about 250 pounds, and I had to train him in the concept of BIG WEIGHT equals SLOW MOVEMENTS!

He had framed 'big weight' into 'hitting harder'.

So I showed him with physics and with training how "speed" adds much more "destructive power" than weight ever will.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Being simple doesn't make it easy, since it involves change and long-term adherence. You're fighting an uphill battle, but that's good for job security, right?
    I'm not sure about the last part, your joke, but I do agree with the first part.

In Napoleon Hill's book, "Think & Grow Rich", one of the most important characteristics of a doer is "persistence". Another is "self-discipline". Another is "goal-orientation".

All pretty damn simple, but none are easy with the people that any donut can rob their free will, and abdicate all self-responsibility.

21 days of a self-hypnotic suggestion can change the habits internally so that at the end of 21 days, the new habit is installed.

Which works real well as long as there are no Psychological Reversals popping up.

If there are, then hypnosis will not work, because they will not do it.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Actually the motivational probem is a problem.

If the "why" is NOT big enough, they just ain't going to do it.

If the WHY is BIG enough they can do just about any weight loss program and make it work well.

People do commit themselves to a 6 week Pritican diet by going there and they "employees" virtually make them stick to the eating and exercise routine.

A simple way to get the hypothalamus out of the way is the use of Gary Craig's free EFT procedures, procedures that work on clearing "negative energy perturbances" out of the aura, and clears blockages in the Meridians.

Just go to emofree.com to download their free manual.

Have fun.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Some people need to watch the health channel more. In that there are a few shows on the morbidly obese. People can say they commit but they cheat. What is the point to a diet if you cheat. On one of these shows it had a man who was too over weight to event get out of his house or event out of his bead. He knew he was on a diet but he decided that he would still order out for such things a Chinese. He would send a bucket down outside of his window with money just to get his food. The delivery person would take the money and put the food in the bucket. Some people just don't care. In another show this guy was in the hospital because of morbid obesity but he is one of the lucky ones that does not have any of the health problems. So because of this he still got food ordered in. Why help a person that could care less?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerkarate For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (05-31-2007)

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

I'm looking at dropping 50 lbs this year. Problem when you work at home and put in 12-16 hr days is, you move around alot less than one would going out to a job. I've made some big changes, one is eating alot more leafy greens. I've found a couple of real low-cal dressings to use, as well as cutting back on anything with HFCS in it. I've also switched much of my sweetening from cane sugar to either honey or stevia.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Some people need to watch the health channel more. In that there are a few shows on the morbidly obese. People can say they commit but they cheat. What is the point to a diet if you cheat. On one of these shows it had a man who was too over weight to event get out of his house or event out of his bead. He knew he was on a diet but he decided that he would still order out for such things a Chinese. He would send a bucket down outside of his window with money just to get his food. The delivery person would take the money and put the food in the bucket. Some people just don't care. In another show this guy was in the hospital because of morbid obesity but he is one of the lucky ones that does not have any of the health problems. So because of this he still got food ordered in. Why help a person that could care less?
    That is a fair question.

Some call it "love". Others call it "caring".

What I do with that type is help them fine the donuts. Then I make fat jokes to them until they start making them back.

Once humor is introduced, that means some type of rapport is built so maybe we can communicate effectively?

They won't come to you if they don't believe they need help.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    I'm looking at dropping 50 lbs this year. Problem when you work at home and put in 12-16 hr days is, you move around alot less than one would going out to a job. I've made some big changes, one is eating alot more leafy greens. I've found a couple of real low-cal dressings to use, as well as cutting back on anything with HFCS in it. I've also switched much of my sweetening from cane sugar to either honey or stevia.
    All great choices.

Can you "schedule" an appointment with yourself to walk 30 minutes daily?

I also did cut in half my portions, even when eating out.

So when hungry I drink coffee or water or bottled green tea.

It does make a difference.

If you do have a Psychological Reversal, you might want to tap it out.

If you want to know about that meridian tapping drill with the proper affirmations, let me know.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

All great choices.

Can you "schedule" an appointment with yourself to walk 30 minutes daily?

I also did cut in half my portions, even when eating out.

So when hungry I drink coffee or water or bottled green tea.

It does make a difference.

If you do have a Psychological Reversal, you might want to tap it out.

If you want to know about that meridian tapping drill with the proper affirmations, let me know.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Ok there is a lot of jargon there, you might want to explain Psychological Reversal and meridian tapping drill with the proper affirmations.

Thanks

That is a fair question.

Some call it "love". Others call it "caring".

What I do with that type is help them fine the donuts. Then I make fat jokes to them until they start making them back.

Once humor is introduced, that means some type of rapport is built so maybe we can communicate effectively?

They won't come to you if they don't believe they need help.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Definitely, repport is the first step when counseling anybody. But what is they do not have a choice of if they want help or not? What if they are in the hospital already? If they want my help or not I still have to council them. That is my job. But it keeps coming back to the same thing, they must make their decision to take in what I am saying and doing it. Even if they are in the hospital their family can still bring them food, so what if they bring them the fattening stuff...it is their choice to eat it. To lose weight is a life style change, they have to make a full commitment and not cheat.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

I did weight loss on a budget! It was college...I was a dance major so I danced 3-8 hours a day depending on rehursal schedule...I couldn't afford a parking pass so I rode my bike or walked to my classes...I couldnt afford food so i had one sandwich and a candy bar all day...if I was lucky I had popcorn for dinner.

I did the calories in/calories out thing a few years ago. Lost 30 pounds then started coming up with excuses to eat more than I should. Now I'm doing weight watchers and have lost 23 of the 40 I gained back I'm hitting a wal right now with 15 pounds to go. frustrating!

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/bmrcalc.htm
    I found this site VERY helpful with information.
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html
    and this to figure what you're taking in and what you are using calorie-wise

Thanks

Ok there is a lot of jargon there, you might want to explain Psychological Reversal and meridian tapping drill with the proper affirmations.
    I have explained them in "other" posts here.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Definitely, repport is the first step when counseling anybody.
    Actually many will now disagree with that statement, even the founder of NLP, Richard Bandler.

Propulsion systems are much more important than rapport building.

Even in sales and in communication.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links