Thread: weightlifting programs...what works for you?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default weightlifting programs...what works for you?

I thought we could share training tips or experiences here. I've met people who perfer a whole body workout three days a week. Other guys like three or 4 day splits .Some put a lot of cardio or bag time in also. I've heard alot about the P.T. program they used for the movie "300". It sounded really function geared. By that I mean, it seemed like they were trying to develop useful strength and stamina gaining techniques vs. ways to simply increase bulk or tone. I've used alot of programs at different times in my life. Currently I am using a 4 day split with 5 days of cardio. I'm considering changing to a whole body work out 3 times a week so that I can focus on some heavy cardio and isometrics. My major goal is to be in "fighting shape." BUlk and tone are nice, but they do not always win fights. In the end, at least for me, Kenpo has always been about combat. I want to be as prepared as possible should I ever be faced with a real world self defense situation. Anyone have any thoughts or tips?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: weightlifting programs...what works for you?

it all depends a GREAT deal on what your objectives are. That will determine if the 4 day split or other workouts will work best for you.
    What are YOUR objectives and if you would, could you lay out what your 4 day split looks like? How is it plotted out?

Thanks

Your Brother (who's currently doing a 4 day split routine)
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I try to split like this :
    day 1 - Chest and Triceps
    day 2 - Back and Biceps
    day 3 - Shoulders and Calves
    day 4 - Quads and Hamstrings (not sure if thats right, front and rear of upper leg)
    I try for 20 -25 mins of caridio a day and 35-45 mins on the fifth day. Sometimes I'll mix the split up depending on who I 'm working with. Also I may work an extra set in to make up for a light day. For example, if I only have time for 2 exercises for my chest and tris for whatever reason, I may work a them on a shoulders and calves day.
    My main goal is to be in good all around fighting shape. I'd like to be string, fast, and have a good deal of stamina. The extra bulk or tone would be an added benefit but it's not the main goal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mike2011 For This Useful Post:

Brother John (04-03-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike2011 View Post
    I try to split like this :
    day 1 - Chest and Triceps
    day 2 - Back and Biceps
    day 3 - Shoulders and Calves
    day 4 - Quads and Hamstrings (not sure if thats right, front and rear of upper leg)
    I try for 20 -25 mins of caridio a day and 35-45 mins on the fifth day. Sometimes I'll mix the split up depending on who I 'm working with. Also I may work an extra set in to make up for a light day. For example, if I only have time for 2 exercises for my chest and tris for whatever reason, I may work a them on a shoulders and calves day.
    My main goal is to be in good all around fighting shape. I'd like to be string, fast, and have a good deal of stamina. The extra bulk or tone would be an added benefit but it's not the main goal.
    OK: Then I'd advise a very different approach. The "abacab"
    A-B-A-C-A-B.....etc. program.
    A= Cardio work & stretching + abs work
    B= Chest + Shoulders + Triceps
    C= Back + Legs + Biceps

This way you'll have more days to recouperate what needs recouperation.
    For anaerobic work your muscles need (Ideally) 72 hours to Fully recouperate.
    For Aerobic work 48 hours. If you take careful note, the system I laid out works to fit this pattern....
    PLUS: It has a greater level of emphasis on cardio work, which is a MUST.

Please let me know what you think of this schedule.
    If it doesn't seem to fit your needs or tastes, then there's no reason to waste my time (no offense please) in writing out the details of a program based on this.
    please let me know.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

I like the 5x5 workout (5 sets of 5 reps)

Mon and Thurs I do a 5x5 workout, military press superset with a renegade row. Pull ups superset with squats. Finish with an ab exercise.

Tues and Fri - 3 minute rounds. Alternating between the bag and a body weight exercises. (burpees, squats, pushups, abs...)

Saturday I like to do some Yoga as an active recovery. Some joint mobility helps out too.
    Wednesday - light stretching, some joint mobility and other small stuff.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I just got back into it after about a 2 month ''vacation'', heres what I do

Sunday - Cardio, Biceps, & Forearms
    Monday - Cardio, Abs, & Triceps
    Tuesday - Cardio, Abs, & Legs
    Wednesday - Cardio, Abs, Shoulders, & Back
    Thursday - Cardio, Abs, & Legs
    Friday - OFF
    Saturday - Cardio, Abs, & Chest

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Keep in mind that it is not only about what you are doing but when you are doing it.

An example: Doing it in the morning, afternoon, or evening
    Whether you do cardio first then strenth or strength then cardio.

There is a lot of research out there and most of it says that people do the wrong things at the wrong time of day and in the wrong order to get the maximum benefit. I will not give away the ending...but do some research of your own on these factors and you will get what I mean.
    Devil Dog Mark
    Hawaiian Kempo & Okinawan Kubudo

Thanks

Devil is correct, there is a lot of discussion and opinions on time of day, and order of training out there. However, if someone were to ask me, "what's the best exercise?" I'd say, "The one you stick with."

Definately elite atheletes need to be most concerned with these things, because at their level, a 1% difference in performance can be a big deal. For everyone else, often Real Life happens, and although you may not be exercising at the optimal time, it's still better than not exercising at all.

Generally, I would lift before cardio. You need to be able to apply tension techniques and serious focus when lifting heavy weights. Cardio can be more mindless. If you do cardio in the am (jogging), you should have several hours rest before lifting. Those are just my opinions, but I'm an engineer, not a fitness expert.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

Brother John (04-04-2007)

Thanks

...YEAH
    always lift Before cardio..
    otherwise the cardio will burn up all the glycogen you needed to do the lifting with.
    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Brother John-
    Thank you for your input. I recently started a program very similar to the one you described. It came highly recommended by a friend of mine who works in the special operations community. Thanks again for your advice.

Thanks

Awesome!!

Let us know how it's going.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I consider myself in excellent shape, so I'll share my experience here. I split my workout across six days, if only because I have the free time to do so. Monday I do chest and shoulders, Tuesday I practice kenpo and do a heavy bag workout, and sometimes go for a jog. Wednesday I work my back, Thursday is practice again, I keep this day fairly light as I need a recover day so I will just do basics and forms. Friday is arms day. On Saturday, I spar early in the morning, then go for a jog, do tabata intervals, or ride my bike. Sunday is my least favorite day, being leg day. I highly recommend doing complex whole body movements, such as squats, deadlifts, pull ups, chinups, pushups, etc.

In an effort to forge a well-rounded and balanced body, I tend to keep my workouts mixed up. Some days I will go to the gym and lift heavy weights for 3 sets of six reps, other days I will lift lighter weights for 3 sets of 15 reps. I am always trying new weightlifting exercises. I'm also a huge fan of bodyweight exercises and plyometrics, so every week I will usually skip out on going to the gym for a day and stay around my house to do body weight work. I find this gives me a great balance between speed and power.

As with most things, nutrition is absolutely vital. Eat food, in moderation. And by food, I mean food that is all natural, not processed, and fresh. Lean cuts of mean, fruits, veggies, nuts, and lots of water.
    Some links that might help you:

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php This link has a list of all the foods you should be eating.
    http://www.rossboxing.com Has a great selection of articals on bodyweight drills, and a great forum.
    http://www.rosstraining.com Run by the same man as above, but different articles. His books are priceless.
    http://www.leanandhungryfitness.com/news_by_genre.cfm Has an impressive list of articals to help you on your quest.

Most importantly, be patient, and work hard!
    "Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai
    "If you train very hard, you will be very good." - Remy Presas

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

If you are serious about lifting head over to www.t-nation.com

That will be a much better resource for weightlifting than here.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links