Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: diet stuff

Thanks

Default diet stuff

I need to loose about 20 lbs. The doc says 15, but I', shootin' fer 20, in a couple of months. Problem is, I'm not too active right now, and getting worse. I'm going into surgery tomorrow, and the 9th I'm scheduled for a procedure that will leave me pretty sore for a bit. So I'm going to have to work on my diet- particularly breakfast.

My naturepath says I need protien every morning. Two other docs have said cut way back on the meat, eggs, dairy, and soy. I have to cut out pork and fried foods. So, what does that leave for breakfast protiens? Any ideas?

I've allways been an active person, so this watching my weight and diet is pretty new to me. It also sucks, but I'll probably get over it- eventually. Apreciate any help.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default Re: diet stuff

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    I need to loose about 20 lbs. The doc says 15, but I', shootin' fer 20, in a couple of months. Problem is, I'm not too active right now, and getting worse. I'm going into surgery tomorrow, and the 9th I'm scheduled for a procedure that will leave me pretty sore for a bit. So I'm going to have to work on my diet- particularly breakfast.

My naturepath says I need protien every morning. Two other docs have said cut way back on the meat, eggs, dairy, and soy. I have to cut out pork and fried foods. So, what does that leave for breakfast protiens? Any ideas?

I've allways been an active person, so this watching my weight and diet is pretty new to me. It also sucks, but I'll probably get over it- eventually. Apreciate any help.

Dan C

Part of the problem is that you have competing docs. One says get more protein, the other says to cut back on the major sources of protein. Given that in the American diet soy is generally not something that is overconsumed unless someone has a thing for GNC-style protein shakes...I'm very curious as to why he thinks soy is something that you should "cut way back on".

In general, lean proteins are good for just about any diet. Omlettes can be made with egg whites only or in a ratio to 3 egg whites to one egg yolk. Lean, high quality cuts of meat that are portion controlled also make very good additions to one's diet. 4-6 ounces of meat is OK, 16 ounces typically isn't.

Certain meats can be added. I make a lobster omlette that is to die for but despite being very low in fat, lobster does have a disproportionately high amount of cholesterol. Without more information it is difficult to point to you in a concise direction.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

thedan (03-14-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    I make a lobster omlette that is to die for
    OK ... now I'm hungry!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Dan C
    Before I can help you out I need to know what kind of surgery you are having, this way I know what types of food will agree with you and which won't.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    OK ... now I'm hungry!
    Hee hee...maybe you should bring an appetite to North Carolina

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (03-14-2007)

Thanks

Part of the problem is that you have competing docs. One says get more protein, the other says to cut back on the major sources of protein. Given that in the American diet soy is generally not something that is overconsumed unless someone has a thing for GNC-style protein shakes...I'm very curious as to why he thinks soy is something that you should "cut way back on".
    My wife loves soy. I generally hate it, but I do like those shakes. Regardles, the stuff doesn't agree with me. And you're right about the competing docs- it effects more than diet. But all do help in many ways, so I'm usually left to balance their advice.

Sadly, they all do agree on the bacon for breakfast, bacon cheesburgers, BLT's, etc.

In general, lean proteins are good for just about any diet. Omlettes can be made with egg whites only or in a ratio to 3 egg whites to one egg yolk. Lean, high quality cuts of meat that are portion controlled also make very good additions to one's diet. 4-6 ounces of meat is OK, 16 ounces typically isn't.
    Sounds like good advice. I'm a blood type O, so I generally eat way too much meat. I could (and have) very happily make a meal of just steaks and whole milk! Throw in some good salsa, chips and beer (to wash the milk down) and I'm in hog heaven!

Certain meats can be added. I make a lobster omlette that is to die for but despite being very low in fat, lobster does have a disproportionately high amount of cholesterol. Without more information it is difficult to point to you in a concise direction.
    Sounds good. I'm eating more seafood right now, but I do have to watch the cholestorol now. It was up for the first time in my life as well.

My parents have a tape of some comedian who talked about diet. Like me, he 'grew up poor. We ate whatever was put in front of us, and that was anything that was cheap, usually. We never heard about cholesterol back then. But if we had, we'd of dang sure fried some up and ate it!'

Apreciate the advice (yours, not the comedians').

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    Before I can help you out I need to know what kind of surgery you are having, this way I know what types of food will agree with you and which won't.
    PK, thanks. I already have my post op diet planned out. What I'm talking about here (and it really pains me to say this) is a long term change of diet plan.

I wish I could do something simple, like Doc La Tourette's test where he holds the food and tests for weakness. But, so far, all that's happened when I hold onto food is I get hungry. Donna Eden says you can do that with your pets also. Hold onto the pet and the food and test by proxy. Ever try that with a Jack Russel? So far, we're both just getting fatter.

Dan (fat boy) C

PS: not knocking that methodology. I think there's probably something there, I just havn't found it. I have experienced some evidence of it prior to getting her book "Energy Medicine". But I'm not the most sensitive person around, either. Just to clarify things...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-21-2007)

Thanks

Other breakfast proteins that you can have:
    • Canadian bacon
    • Cheese wedge
    • Egg substitutes (egg whites)
    • Herring, Salmon, Whitefish
    • Lowfat cottage cheese
    • Nuts
    • Yogurt
    Example meal:
    Vegetable Omelet

Enjoy this omelet for breakfast or any other time of day or night when you want a satisfying little meal. This version is easy to prepare, just a matter of mixing and pouring. Add fresh, seasonal vegetables, and perhaps some fresh herbs, for maximum nutrition.
    Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 10 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1/2 medium zucchini
    4 mushrooms
    1/2 bell pepper
    1/2 medium onion
    2 broccoli florets
    4 whole eggs
    8 egg whites
    1 medium plum tomato, seeded and chopped
    1. To prepare vegetables: Cut zucchini and pepper into thin strips. Cut mushrooms into quarters and finely chop onion. Chop broccoli florets.
    2. Coat a large skillet (preferably nonstick) with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Saute vegetables, stirring often, until tender.
    3. In a bowl, lightly beat together eggs and egg whites, and season with pepper. Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet. Add tomatoes to skillet. Cover pan and cook over low heat until eggs are cooked and puffy, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve immediately.
    Nutrient analysis per serving: 134 kcalories, 15 grams protein, 6.7 grams carbohydrate, 5.5 grams fat, 1.6 grams saturated fat, 212 milligrams cholesterol, 2 grams fiber, 183 milligrams sodium

If you see any jargon let me know, event though it says whole egg you can cut back on that and add more white. The yolk is just for stability. As for exercise, what we try to tell peole that are obese or that have had surgery is to walk around the bed or couch a few times and than build up from there.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerkarate For This Useful Post:

thedan (03-14-2007)

Thanks

PK, thanks. I'll try that omlet.

What do you do with the yolks if you only use the whites? Hate to throw the things out. Any Ideas?

The dogs would like them, but not sure how much is good for them.

Dan C

Thanks

What do you do with the yolks if you only use the whites? Hate to throw the things out. Any Ideas?

Dan C
    my mom is the same way and would do the same thing. Well if you aren't allowed to have them than that is that. Although I am sure a treat for you pups would be nice. LOL.

Thanks

Dan C
    I think of the egg yolk as the pit...kinda like an avacado.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Any allergies to Peanut Butter?

Peanut butter smoothies.

Your choice yogourt, ( i like plain or vanialla)
    One banana
    cup of pb
    Add 1 tbsp of liquid omega 3 (available at most health or drug store, even seen in grocery stores)
    cup of fruit (strawberries, your choice)
    you could sub peanut butter for your choice flavour of the GNC protein mix.
    (sub yogurt for Ice cream or cream or milk or even ice chips)
    blend and enjoy!!

drink it fast so you can get an alakine blast outta your pancrease (sp?)
    moderate exercise, ti chi, palates, medicine ball, forms.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NickName99 For This Useful Post:

thedan (03-14-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

there is also the old standby of PB on toast, on apples,

fried pb and banana sandwiches. But that will make you heavier. lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angel View Post
    I think of the egg yolk as the pit...kinda like an avacado.
    Yep. Exactly. Just like you don't need the cyanide that's in the pit of a fruit seed, you don't need the cholesterol that's in the yolk of an egg.

Thanks

Yep. Exactly. Just like you don't need the cyanide that's in the pit of a fruit seed, you don't need the cholesterol that's in the yolk of an egg.
    *Cringe* HN&F 343 = Food science

Trust me there is more than just cholestrol in there lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    *Cringe* HN&F 343 = Food science

Trust me there is more than just cholestrol in there lol.
    I believe you.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

parkerkarate (03-14-2007)

Thanks

Hee hee...maybe you should bring an appetite to North Carolina
    Bringing it and really looking forward to it!

Just don't hit me with your FMA stick, lol.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

Carol (03-17-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

I'm leaning the direction of the fringe naturopaths that say high cholesterol in the blood has almost nothing to do with high cholesterol in the diet. Eat the eggs; stay away from the simple carbs and stressors; that;'s the combo that elevates blood fats.

I switched to a morning food regimen of two eggs, fired in olive oil for 4 months. My cholesterol dropped 40 points. I added ONE FREAKIN PIECE OF WHEAT TOAST for 4 weeks, and it shot back up.

There is a theory floating around that simple carbs and sugars interact with HMG co-reductase to elevate cholesterol. Not sure I buy it yet. What I HAVE seen is that my patients on strict Atkins eat buttloads of fat and cholesterol with no processed carbs, and have fantastic lipid profiles.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-21-2007),Richard Finn (03-14-2007),thedan (03-14-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Dan C
    You can also get egg whites in a carton. These are usually pasteurized and contain seasonings which make them good for scrambled eggs and omelette's, and awful for french toast and anything sweet. Try your local store brand. A carton will usually keep for a week after it's opened.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sentinel For This Useful Post:

thedan (03-14-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    You can also get egg whites in a carton. These are usually pasteurized and contain seasonings which make them good for scrambled eggs and omelette's, and awful for french toast and anything sweet. Try your local store brand. A carton will usually keep for a week after it's opened.
    A.K.A. Egg beaters

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links