Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injury Help

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Unhappy Injury Help

All right folks, I'm testing for my 2nd black in 15 days. Last night, my back started twinging for some reason...today, it's flat out paining me.

The pain is just a bit below the center of my back, but not I think into the "Lower Back". It is just to the right of the spine (literally, IMMEDIATELY on the right side of the spine).

Now, I think I have plenty of time to heal up, but I've never hurt my back before. That being said, ANY advice? Heat, cold? Stretching? Massage?

Just need some advice for the olde (er..middle-aged ;-) back.

Thanks!

Sean

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Injury Help

if you have insurance get it checked out... maybe go to a chiroparctor (sp?). i would put some heat to it and see if that makes it feel better.
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I would start with heat and stretching. Start trying to get references for a good sports doc in your area. If not getting better by Monday, make an appointment.

I am just getting over back issues. Even after the initial treatment, preventive maintenance will be the norm going forward. (Strength and stretching)
    More Shugyo!

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

See a doctor IMMEDIATELY. It may be a simple mechanical back injury that you can help heal up with certain stretching excercises or excercises plus meds. It will take time for your back to heal up and if want to test in 15 days, you'll need some expert advice as to how to get there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

LuckyKBoxer (06-29-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

The pain is just a bit below the center of my back, but not I think into the "Lower Back". It is just to the right of the spine (literally, IMMEDIATELY on the right side of the spine).

Sean, that is a great description of pain location. It is always best to get an educated opinion on a pain. I would see a chiroprator first. If nothing truly terrifying is discovered I would then look at the muscular possibilityies. There are 3 primary culprits and a number of others.

The Lats send pain to the area near the bottom of the shoulder blade. If they are tight it is difficult to bring your hand in an arc in front of you and bring it behind the ear. If this is one of your problem muscles you can get on the ground side lying on a tennis or raquetball with your shoulder in an area called the posterior axillary fold. The area near the bottom of the shoulder blade is usually the culprit.

The Serratus Anterior sends pain to the same area. It is located on the side of your chest . You need help testing this one. Sit backwards on a chair with your hand resting on the side of your hip and the elbow bent. Have someone hold the top of the opposite shoulder while they pull your elbow toward your spine. It should reach. If not lay on your side with a raquetball looking for sore spots on your ribs. Hold the pressure for a minute or so when you find it. Make sure you don't use so much pressure that you hold your breath or tighten your muscles in defense.

The Paeraspinal muscles send pain in a similar distribution. Sit and roll down slowly feeling each vertebrae as it releases. If you reach that level and a number of them move as a group you will probably have found the culprit. Lay on your back with a tennis ball along your spine and look for the sore spots.

These are the most likely suspects. If you need more pm me and I'll see what I can do!
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone who replied...I did see a chiropractor and an accupuncturist. We think that I did something while jogging the other night, maybe a wierd jolt or something. It's much better, I got adjusted, and while there is some lingering soreness (it's apparently in an area that just isn't used much, so the soreness is tough to work out), but massage and accupunture helped.

Thanks again, feeling near 100%, and still have 10 days to go

Sean

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

cool beans! good to hear that is nothing serious.. good luck on the test.
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scarey View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied...I did see a chiropractor and an accupuncturist. We think that I did something while jogging the other night, maybe a wierd jolt or something. It's much better, I got adjusted, and while there is some lingering soreness (it's apparently in an area that just isn't used much, so the soreness is tough to work out), but massage and accupunture helped.

Thanks again, feeling near 100%, and still have 10 days to go

Sean
    So......old man.....
    Tell us about your Belt Test.

....?

Your BROTHER
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    So......old man.....
    Tell us about your Belt Test.

....?

Your BROTHER
    John
    Heh...you're almost a year and a half late The back injury sort of migrated from closer to the spine, to more the outside lower back (sciatic nerve area) and is still bothering me to this day, although not seriously bad. I went to a chiropractor twice before the test, and it helped...it was invaluable that there was a massage therapist at the test...I got a good treatment right before that helped a lot.

The test went well...I got a lot of complements, especially in regards to showing respect to the board of examiners and the testing process. It was a smaller test, so there was a lot of scritiny, but I felt that I did really well. Thanks for (finally) asking

Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Heh...you're almost a year and a half late The back injury sort of migrated from closer to the spine, to more the outside lower back (sciatic nerve area) and is still bothering me to this day, although not seriously bad. I went to a chiropractor twice before the test, and it helped...it was invaluable that there was a massage therapist at the test...I got a good treatment right before that helped a lot.

The test went well...I got a lot of complements, especially in regards to showing respect to the board of examiners and the testing process. It was a smaller test, so there was a lot of scritiny, but I felt that I did really well. Thanks for (finally) asking

Sean

Face it Sean, we just aren't 20 anymore.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Face it Sean, we just aren't 20 anymore.
    Man, you got that right. Sometimes my mind 'knows' I can do something and my body just goes...uh-uh...watch it there buddy...

Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Injury Help

All right folks, I'm testing for my 2nd black in 15 days. Last night, my back started twinging for some reason...today, it's flat out paining me.

Now, I think I have plenty of time to heal up, but I've never hurt my back before. That being said, ANY advice? Heat, cold? Stretching? Massage?

Just need some advice for the olde (er..middle-aged ;-) back.

Thanks!

Sean

I had the same thing happen to me in January of last year. By the time I went to the doctor and got physical therapy, it was gone (February/March). I attribute karate to helping me work though it. I couldn't do anything without pain to start off, but it got better with physical exercise. I couldn't even brush my teeth without leaning on the sink. I have had the same type of injury many times. Heat/Cold and message helped, but time helped most of all.

I'm getting old and have found that time and taking it easy heals all wounds.

Scott

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Sir,

I am responding without checking out any other responses first, so if I repeat what someone has already said please excuse me. I can guess that this test is very important to you, and that you would probably attempt it as long as you could grit through the pain. My advise is to see a medical professional FAST. If this came upon you without any apparent reason it may be your body shrieking for rest, and if it does'nt get what it needs pronto the rebellion could take an ugly turn. The Lord Jesus has given us a remarkable tool in our bodies, but it needs real rest every now, and then. Even HE who put it together took time to truly rest. I think if you act quickly under some qualified advise. 2 weeks could be enough time to give the body what it needs, so you can do your test fully, and freely.
    1stJohn1:9

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Any more problems with the back there bub?

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Good day...Quadratus lumborum is the common one iirc. I concur it takes me 2 weeks to fix fyi. Changed from the heavier heavy gym weights to freewights and solo training. Did a workout that started with the weights and ended with practice plus stretching. The next day I did a little kick to a football and boom 2 weeks. Used a lot of faith and some karate stances to shift my weight to get out of bed. Back-stance iirc. Ibuprophen didn't seem to help much, but I was in too much pain to notice. Didn't feel like giving myself brain damage by going further than light motions and stance walks. Feels like it was never there now and I kick up to the moon again. Hard to believe a month or so ago I couldn't touch the knee-caps let alone me toes..

...I um stretch a bit before kicking things now. But it makes me angry because I love to snap random wild shots while doing ambient activity just to see if my reaction time is decent with good form. Iye...probably lack of adrenaline or blood flow while kicking the football. It warms the body I guess. Meh.

I hope it all worked well for you, and that you heal(ed) up.

-RRPhantom.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

LOL
    I love Necroposters.
    so random....and this one was ressurected twice now... I imagine we will see it again in a year... I wonder if Scarey has tested for third yet, or maybe we can ressurect this again for that test LOL

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Oh yes the date...

Ouch. And I've always fashioned myself as one of those forum literate guys. :O

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rolls_Royce_Phantom For This Useful Post:

LuckyKBoxer (06-29-2009)

Thanks

Default Re: Oh yes the date...

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls_Royce_Phantom View Post
    Ouch. And I've always fashioned myself as one of those forum literate guys. :O
    Hey nothing personal... I just found it funny is all.
    No worries.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyKBoxer For This Useful Post:

Rolls_Royce_Phantom (06-29-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    LOL
    I love Necroposters.
    so random....and this one was ressurected twice now... I imagine we will see it again in a year... I wonder if Scarey has tested for third yet, or maybe we can ressurect this again for that test LOL
    I have actually...LOL...I guess the question is, who will die first...me or this thread?

Thanks

I have actually...LOL...I guess the question is, who will die first...me or this thread?
    Well I have bookmarked this thread and plan on necroposting it same time next year.... I certainly hope your here to give me a hard time about it now lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links