Thread: exhaustion

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default exhaustion

I have a question about exhaustion. Everyone knows I work weird and long hours. Therefore I get random sleep and not at the same time every night. Sometimes, I can manage 9-11hrs of sleep... then some nights it's only 3hrs.
    This makes it hard to train... actually it makes it hard to do anything but go to work.
    Any suggestions of what I can do diet-wise, physically and mentally to fight off exhaustion?
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

Default Re: exhaustion

Quote Originally Posted by gimpat01 View Post
    I have a question about exhaustion. Everyone knows I work weird and long hours. Therefore I get random sleep and not at the same time every night. Sometimes, I can manage 9-11hrs of sleep... then some nights it's only 3hrs.
    This makes it hard to train... actually it makes it hard to do anything but go to work.
    Any suggestions of what I can do diet-wise, physically and mentally to fight off exhaustion?
    Before I can tell you diet wise, I need to know what a regular diet is for you. Lets try this, it is called a food diary. For the next two days write down everything that you eat. Put down when you ate the food and the amount you ate. Try this for three days and than send me a PM of the diary than we can talk.

The only problem with this is people like to either ignore or lie about what they ate to make themselves feel better lol. It is true, so don't worry about it I am not going to judge you at all, I just need to know what you are eating.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Whatever...I ate a bunch of "garbage" yesterday and I feel like crap this morning becaue of it. (Pizza & wings...what wuz I thinkin'?!)

Not having a regular schedule can play havok with how you feel and perform. If you can avoid falling asleep, meditation can help you focus mentaly. Take 15-20 minutes a day and find a quite place with little or no distractions. Sit, don't lay, and breathe deeply. In through the nose-hold it and count 3 Mississippi-exhale from the diaphram. Once you establish your rhythm, focus your mind and visualize what you want to accomplish that day, or the next. "See" yourself completing these tasks. Using this method along with a "to-do" list can help a lot. Prioritize what you want to accomplish and don't beat yourself up if you don't complete them all. There's always tomorrow.

Hope that helps.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Ditto the two previous replies. I have discovered that I have a problem taking on way too much for it to be good for myself. My wife gave me some very useful speech therapy. I had to practice saying Noooo, Nooooo, Noooo. It can be helpful. Vitamin B complex is used up during stress. I would take that and try to fit a good massage or hot tub in your schedule. Take care of you. Your the only you you have.

Richard
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

All great information. I'm one of those people that can be renergized by a 10 minute nap, so when my schedule becomes extremely wacky I try to get those in for sure. Here's to you getting back on track.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finn View Post
    Vitamin B complex is used up during stress.
    Richard
    Many vitamins are used up during stress. Supplements should be the last thing to take. Those are supposed to be used to just cap things off. I mean no disrepect but from everything I have learned this is how I feel. By taking a diary down a nutritionist can see what vitamins and such a person is getting and than can help the individual. And yes CC if you eat crap you are going to feel like it LOL. "You are what you eat." I know I am not a registered dietitian yet, but after only having to take an internship left I think I am pretty darn close.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

I also work weird hours as I am also 24 hour industry. From my own experience (not a dietician though), I feel a lot better when I take a multivitamin than when I don't....my apologies to ParkerKarate if I'm saying anything blasphemous.

As difficult as it is, try to hold as much of a regular sleep schedule as possible. You may want to try eating smaller meals to keep the blood sugar at a more even level in your body.

Another suggestion - avoid eating out. Cook your own meals, brown bag it...eat stuff that where you KNOW what is inside. I had to start doing this a few years ago when I developed a gluten intolerance and had to cut wheat out of my diet entirely. My eating habits got a lot better once I knew what was in that sandwich

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Before bed, you could try breathing exercises, meditation, or stretching to help improve your sleep quality on the nights when bed time is scarce.

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    As difficult as it is, try to hold as much of a regular sleep schedule as possible. You may want to try eating smaller meals to keep the blood sugar at a more even level in your body.

Another suggestion - avoid eating out.
    I agree with Carol. Smaller--more frequent--healthy meals. It evens out the blood sugar to a good constant for energy and reduces the temptation to eat on less healthy snacks. Eating out is not necessarily bad, but we tend to eat more (bigger portions) than what is needed, and like Carol said, we don't know what is in these food.

A consistent sleep schedule, if possible, will help a lot in remaining more optimistic and energetic about your daily activities. The exhaustion you feel could very easily develop into a depression that makes it hard to be motivated to do much of anything.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks

Having battled depression once upon a time I have to agree with Ceicei that exhaustion leaves and open door to depression. I am feeling scatterbrained myself lately, and so I have started to cut way back on caffine. Boy do I miss my coffee, but I sure do feel better.

I really like all the suggestions. They are all great advice.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Well, I've had 3 days to "rest" and I use that term lightly. PK, I'll get you that food diary as soon as I remember to fill it in completely.
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers from this and I can't wait for it to stop.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

You know, coming to class and beating on Danny "The Mac" would be very therapeudic.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Just a quick comment regarding vitamin supplementation. They should be used in conjunction with a healthy eating pattern. Because of the way foods are processed these days, some nutrients may be lost. A multi-vitamin is NOT a substitute for healthy living. Also, some people may not be able to eat all the right types of foods to get the nutrients they need. Consult a physician or RD if you have any other questions/concerns.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links