Thread: Injury question

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Question Injury question

So I dislocated my shoulder about five months ago and I just started back to weight training with very light weights and I was wondering if any body had any good shoulder exercises or tips??

Thanks

Default Re: Injury question

Hey I moved this to Health and fitness because you want to know about fitness.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christina05 View Post
    So I dislocated my shoulder about five months ago and I just started back to weight training with very light weights and I was wondering if any body had any good shoulder exercises or tips??

Be very careful when resuming your trainng. Shoulder injuries tend to become a persistent nag that will follow you for the rest of your life if you are not careful.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I had dislocated my shoulder on upwards of 11 times throughout my life. Mostly from Football and Rugby. I learned a few things. Once you dislocated your shoulder it can come out again easier then teh first time. The best thing I did was work with a athletic focused sports therapist. They gave me a few drills to do everyday. One would be stand in from of a wall or something. Hand by waist and reach to wall with fingertips. Then walk your fingers up the wall until there is tightness in your shoulder the walk the fingers down. I did 4 sets of 25 3 times per day. I did this from facing the wall and standing next to the wall bad shoulder facing the wall. I did other resistance training with it but those two exercises helped me the most.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

thy 21's do 7 fornt delt raise's 7 side raise's and 7 rear raises, front and side are do standing upright with knee's slightly bent and the rear raise'e are do leaning over with knee's slightly bent. Start out with 2 to 5 pounds get in front of a mirror and make sure each side is symetrical, make sure your not lifting one side higher then the other. Also when your doing your forms be careful of cocking your reverse hand too high and back on your side, this has a tendoncy to pull the muscles and tendons in the shoulder out of wack. Like in short one its teaching opposing forces, these should travel on the same line.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I had to have surgery to repair damage to my shoulder from repeated dislocations. I'd get advice from my physical theropist before beginning any training with free weights. In the interim, I'd suggest using resistance bands.

One-Armed Reverse Fly
    With front foot standing on one end of the band, hold other end in one hand and lean over, abs in, torso at 45 degrees. Keeping elbow slight bent and in fixed position, raise arm out to shoulder level, squeezing shoulder blades.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

One-Armed Lateral Raise
    Sit (or stand) with one end of tube under foot and the other end in one hand. Keeping elbow slightly bent and fixed, lift the arm out to side, to shoulder level.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Thanks all the info was very helpful

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hey Christina,

A real missing link in shoulder injuries and especially in dislocations is the pelvis. a few years back , my wife would call me from work quite regularly with the moanful cry, "It's out again." I would leave my patients and hurry back and pop it back in. we tried surgery, exercise, prolotherapy....

After several years of this I discovered that it only happened when her pelvis was rotated foward. If you stand in front of a mirror and turn your body sideways look at your pant line. It often points down in the front if the pelvis is rotated foward. If it does let me know and I can give you some ideas for getting back. It may help your shoulder!
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links