Thread: Brain food

Thanks

Default Brain food

What is good food for brain development and enhancing memory? Is fish or it's oil the only way to go? What should a vegitarian eat to get this?
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

As far as the food goes; I'm not really sure about what types are used for what. As far as vitamins go I think CoQ10 is a really good one.

Congratulations on your new belt, by the way.

Thanks

Default Re: Brain food

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    As far as the food goes; I'm not really sure about what types are used for what. As far as vitamins go I think CoQ10 is a really good one.

What is CoQ10? I haven't heard of that one.

Thanks for the congrats!

Thanks

Focus Factor from GNC I hear is good.

My problem is I keep forgetting to go get it!!!!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post

CoQ10 is an enzyme not a vitamin. If my failing memory serves me correctly.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

I've heard good things about focus factor. I have the same problem of forgetting to pick some up to try it out. I saw one show on the History Channel a long time ago in which scientists credited human brain development with the eating of protein.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    Focus Factor from GNC I hear is good.

My problem is I keep forgetting to go get it!!!!
    ROFL.

I thought veagans could eat fish.... I guess you're one of those "hardcore" vegatarians, eh? LOL. Have there been any studies on Tofu? I personally don't know much about it in all seriousness. But, as stated, you could always take a supplement. You should probably check with a nutritienist... hey...isn't Parker studying to be one???
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Ladies you are going to like this one. It has actually been found among other foods including fish oils CHOLCOLATE can also be good for your brain. In moderation of course
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angel View Post
    What is good food for brain development and enhancing memory? Is fish or it's oil the only way to go? What should a vegitarian eat to get this?
    B complex is huge for brain function and memory. I do not function well with out (some people even say with) it. Almost anyone with chronic pain needs it. There are a number of other ways of helping brain function. a good deal of brain activity is driven by movement of the vertebra. Here is a great exercise for creating spinal movement. It needs tobe done very slowly. It is best done in quiet surroundings.

1. Getting into Position
    Get down to the floor and lay on your back. Bend your knees and have your feet on the floor. Bring your arms in front like you are giving yourself a big hug.

2. Movement Number 1
    Slowly move your knees from side to side. Let them move about 2-3 inches. I do this slowly for around 10 reps or so. The mevement shoould be comfortable. Do not so it through pain.

3. Movement Number 2
    Slowly begin to let your nose follow the mevement of the knees. Notice yow your spine is moving.

4. Movement Number 3
    If you are still here this next part is great. Move your elbows opposite that of your knees and nose. Do this slowly. You should notice a nice corkscrewing of your spine.

I like to do this for several minutes until the movement becomes very fluid. It is very relaxing and tends to clear the brain. A cleared brain should do better on the memory task. A vegitarian can't eat it, but it feels good!

Rolling on the Ground Relaxing
    Richard
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

Thanks

Wow, some of these are great ideas. I am taking notes. I was kinda thinking along the lines of my kids. I have one who is autistic and someone told me to give him fish oils. It really does help a bit. Then got to thinking about myself being the "hard core" vegitarian. I know I don't get the things I need for my body. I feel like I am aging from the inside out, and my memory skills are at times great, and other times, I just can't remember anything. I love how B-complex makes me feel. I like them best in a liquid form, better than a pill because it gets into the system quicker.

Love the chocolate idea, but I would guess it's dark chocolate, not milk or white chocolate. I bet if I just could cut out sugar all together it would make a difference of night and day.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angel View Post
    Wow, some of these are great ideas. I am taking notes. I was kinda thinking along the lines of my kids. I have one who is autistic and someone told me to give him fish oils. It really does help a bit. Then got to thinking about myself being the "hard core" vegitarian. I know I don't get the things I need for my body. I feel like I am aging from the inside out, and my memory skills are at times great, and other times, I just can't remember anything. I love how B-complex makes me feel. I like them best in a liquid form, better than a pill because it gets into the system quicker.

Love the chocolate idea, but I would guess it's dark chocolate, not milk or white chocolate. I bet if I just could cut out sugar all together it would make a difference of night and day.
    CoQ10 reportedly has clinical effectiveness on the heart, but I'm not really sure about the brain.

Supplements like Focus Factor can be a toss-up. Some folks rave about them, others think they are a total waste of money. Some of the ingredients can have unpleasant side-effects that are not necessarily noticeable right away. Example: Gingko and Ginsing have an effect on blood flow, which can lead to slower recovery from surgery or certain types of injuries. For women, they can lead to heavier menstruation.

I'm not anti-supplement at all, I have more than one in my kitchen cabinet that I take regularly. However, before using any supplement, one should do some due-dilligence to determine whether it is right for you.

Personally, I have a job that, mentally, is extremely demanding (engineering). The best thing that I have found for improved focus is 7-8 hours of sleep per night, every night, on a regular schedule. Unfortunately there isn't a supplement that can replace natural sleep.

Just my opinion anyway.

Thanks

I agree ... wish I could force myself to get sleep but I feel like the evening is my only time to get things done for me.

Work all week, kids every weekend = no time but the night.

I am seriously thinking about the focus factor thing. I will try it and let you all know how it works out.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Fish and Fish oil have been shown to help with the brain as well as Alzhiemers. All those Omega-3's and 6's. Good to go.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links