Thread: Cardio / Strength / Resistance Training for Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Cardio / Strength / Resistance Training for Kenpo

Just curious to see if people supplement their Kenpo training with Cardio / Strength / Resistance training. If so could you share your thoughts and or routines?
    Last edited by ronin6; 11-02-2006 at 09:25 AM.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Cardio / Strength / Resistance Training for Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0DazE View Post

Thanks for the link.

Regards

Chris

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

We usually do some exercises before each class. It only takes about 15 to 20 minutes, maybe longer if we're feeling good to really get the blood pumping and also warms you up for class.

It always starts off with warmup such as jumping jacks or running a couple forms slow and flow, not a lot of power or speed. This loostens up the muscles some and raises the heart rate.

Then we get into stretching for at least 5 minutes. This is very important and shouldn't be over looked. More stretching is better then less.

Next we get in working basics like 10 front snap kicks right leg, then 10 pushups and 10 modified situps. Then 10 front snap kicks left leg etc. We can go through many different kicks and mix in punches but punches are usually done in 3,s (1 2 3,1,1 2 3,2,1 2 3,3 etc)

We've also done ladder work. It takes longer but allows to change things up in your work out. Ladder work means, 1 push up, 1 situp, 10 kicks, 2 pushups, 2 situps, 10 kicks, up to 10 of each situps/pushups then back down to 1. We work basics into these different sets. Double benefits.

Another way is doing kata at competition level speed and power. This should definitely wear you out. If not, do them again harder and faster. The benefit should be obvious that not only do you get a good workout in cardio but you get to work your katas. Double benefits.

For me, it's important to keep things fresh and changing it up will make you want to workout. I know I need to do more as I get up in rank, more is expected of me so I will need to get in better and better shape. Adding more to my workout regimine will be needed. Swimming, running, working the bag, biking are different things that can I think can help.
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

We start off with a warmup usually including jumping jacks, puppies, burpies, squats, starbursts, sprints, crunches, bicycles, etc for fiteen minutes.

Then the class splits off into kickboxers and kenpo students. We kenpo students do reaction drills for about fifteen to twenty minutes, doing starbursts, etc in between. The we go off to hit the heavy bags for about fifteen to twenty minutes, and we finish off doing the same warmup exercises at the end of class.

Speaking of which, I have to get my fat ass back into training. I've been out all holidays and I've been eating EXTREMELY unhealthily

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I believe cardio & strength training is a very important part of training in the martial arts.
    I lift weights 2-3 times a week. 7 different upper body exercises consisting of 3 sets, 10-25 reps per set along with 9 sets of 50 crunches thrown in.
    I jump rope and work a wavemaster or heavy bag for cardio. I used to ride a bike a lot but have gotten away from it unfortunately. I keep telling myself to get back on it and hopefully will.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thanks to Brivolution and Texas Kenpo for your comments. I have started some weight training mixed in with heavy bag work as well as resistance training with bands and medicine ball work. So far so good. I do this in the off days of Kenpo. I also alternate the type of bag work. One day running boxing drills and the next running muai thai drills on the bag.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronin6 View Post
    Thanks to Brivolution and Texas Kenpo for your comments. I have started some weight training mixed in with heavy bag work as well as resistance training with bands and medicine ball work. So far so good. I do this in the off days of Kenpo. I also alternate the type of bag work. One day running boxing drills and the next running muai thai drills on the bag.
    Excellent! You might want to keep a log to track your progress. I have been lifting regularly now for a little over a year and its nice to look back and see the level of progression in increased reps & weight. The cardio/bag work can be tracked by timing the drills.
    Good Luck!

Thanks

For endurance, I do a lot of continuous fighting, including full-contact. I try to spar at least 5 minute matches without any break. I also work the advanced forms to work on endurance, and shadowbox (5 minutes straight without any breaks).

I don't lift weights, but I do a lot of push-ups everyday.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    For endurance, I do a lot of continuous fighting, including full-contact. I try to spar at least 5 minute matches without any break. I also work the advanced forms to work on endurance, and shadowbox (5 minutes straight without any breaks).
    WOW NICE! Anyone who can go 5 minutes sparring is in GOOD Shape. I'd need to make sure 911 is on speed dial and the defib paddles were fully charged to do that very much.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

As was mentioned before, keeping a good mix of workout routines keeps things from getting boring. Recently I've been a bit more focused on getting in some good cardio (the holidays were a bit TOO relaxing for my own good...). Usually I'll do some running, then my belt material (30 techniques) 5 at a time, then situps and pushups, then some leg work on the bar (flexibility and strength for the legs), then finish up with bagwork (timed rounds, as well as individual punches/kicks for power). Not necessarily always in that order. So far it's been working pretty well for me.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Monday-Friday are the days I like to do cardio workouts. I start with stretching my legs and running for 5 min. Then I stretch my arms and hit the weights. I try to alternate between leg and arm workouts daily. Then I do 15 push-ups and sit-ups. I end with strethching and by doing some techniques.
    Karate Girl

Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,488 Posts

I do some pushups and abs, but don't really like to get too involved with weight lifting. Just a personal preference, but I find it boring and tedious so I don't stick with it for very long.

I do some swimming for cardio/endurance, and have done some running in the past but not now. My workouts tend to be pretty heavy cardio as well. I practice a number of lengthy Chinese forms that are tough to get thru when done with full speed and power.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks

Here is my latest blog dealing with physical fitness & nutrition:

www.jamieseabrook.blogspot.com
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links