Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headaches

Thanks

Default Headaches

Ok since thursday I have been getting headaches and migranes. Does anyone know what this could be? I know stress and diet can be a big factor. I went to student health services and they told me to take claritin and they gave me samples o Relpax. I took one tonight and it worked for a few hours. But now the headaches are back.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Default Re: Headaches

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    Ok since thursday I have been getting headaches and migranes. ... I went to student health services and they told me to take claritin and they gave me samples o Relpax. I took one tonight and it worked for a few hours. But now the headaches are back.
    If the Relpax didn't take care of it, there's a good chance it isn't a migrane. Could be myofascial binding, which can be the primary cause or a major contributing factor. See if you can get Richard Finn's attention. He seems pretty knowlegable with this.

Could also be due to injury. Anything happen to you lately? Even getting rocked good in sparing can do it. And you would have myofascial problems with even mild trauma.

There's also the possibility of medical problems, such as bleeding or bruising inside the head. This is nothing to fool around with, and you need to see a doctor if it persists, gets worse, or there are neurological symptoms (vision or speech problems, ballance or coordination loss, black outs or tunnel vision- anything odd, really).

Hope it gets better. Headaches are pretty miserable.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    If the Relpax didn't take care of it, there's a good chance it isn't a migrane. Could be myofascial binding, which can be the primary cause or a major contributing factor. See if you can get Richard Finn's attention. He seems pretty knowlegable with this.

Could also be due to injury. Anything happen to you lately? Even getting rocked good in sparing can do it. And you would have myofascial problems with even mild trauma.

There's also the possibility of medical problems, such as bleeding or bruising inside the head. This is nothing to fool around with, and you need to see a doctor if it persists, gets worse, or there are neurological symptoms (vision or speech problems, ballance or coordination loss, black outs or tunnel vision- anything odd, really).

Hope it gets better. Headaches are pretty miserable.

Dan C
    Nope I havent got rocked for about a year. Wait wait no 6 months lol I lied. Man that guy has a good ridgehand. I am supposed to see my real doctor over thanksgiving break. The student health gave me this stuff today and I am supposed to start taking claritin tomorrow as well. Thanks for the tips though. I sure hope there is no bleeding or bruising up there.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks

Ok since thursday I have been getting headaches and migranes. Does anyone know what this could be? I know stress and diet can be a big factor. I went to student health services and they told me to take claritin and they gave me samples o Relpax. I took one tonight and it worked for a few hours. But now the headaches are back.
    The exact same thing happened to me about 3 years ago ... went through all kinds of tests. You name it they checked me for it. You know what it was? Finally after 35 years I needed freaking glasses.

Go get your eyes checked!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by florida_kenpo View Post
    The exact same thing happened to me about 3 years ago ... went through all kinds of tests. You name it they checked me for it. You know what it was? Finally after 35 years I needed freaking glasses.

Go get your eyes checked!
    I got those checked a few months ago perfect 20/20. Its good to be young lol. Just kidding.

Thanks

Nope I havent got rocked for about a year. Wait wait no 6 months ... I sure hope there is no bleeding or bruising up there.
    Memory loss- a major sign of neurological problems! *just kidding*

There are a lot of medical problems that could cause this- those were just a couple of examples. But I hope that's not the case, too. But, just in case, if you do get symptomatic, get in quick.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    Memory loss- a major sign of neurological problems! *just kidding*

There are a lot of medical problems that could cause this- those were just a couple of examples. But I hope that's not the case, too. But, just in case, if you do get symptomatic, get in quick.

Dan C
    What were we talking about again?

LOL.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

As a student I know it's not easy to see a 'real' doc. But in this case I think that it's best not to wait. I'd get in there as soon as possible. Just last night I had a conversation with my father about a lady (in her early 40's) complained of a headache, went to the hospital, dropped into a coma and died 2 days later. It was an aneurysm. The sudden on set of these headaches could mean a serious condition has developed, so go get checked out right away.

As I am afflicted with migraines I sympathize with your pain, and when they get really bad, as much as I detest hospitals and doctors (no offense to those in the profession I just donít like the majority of the ones Iíve had the bane of dealing with) I tend to get checked out to be safe.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Where are your headaches (temple, top, back of head, ear, bace of skull) muscles can cause pain in different areas. Let me know and I can help figure out what muscles might be involved.

Is the pain constant? If it is you need to be at the doctor yesterday!

I had a PT attend one of my seminars a few weeks ago. He should be helpful. His name is Joshua Costa. He is in Rockville @ 301-251-5910. He had good hands and got his head around the material. If you need more help I know a great doctor in the area who publishes and researches extensively on pain. I would try Joshua first. Hope this helps!
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finn View Post
    Where are your headaches (temple, top, back of head, ear, bace of skull) muscles can cause pain in different areas. Let me know and I can help figure out what muscles might be involved.

Is the pain constant? If it is you need to be at the doctor yesterday!
    They start at my forhead and than slowly move backwords usually stopping a little behind my temples. Saturday was the worst, my whole head was throbbing. I was both sound and light sensitive. And little movement would kill me.

It is not totally constant. Sometimes it will stay for a couple of hours and than go a way for a few and than come back. This Relpax seemed to work tonight for a few hours and than the headaches came back. They arent as bad though.

This morning was wierd. I was really lightheaded and my knees were buckligng out, but I sdid not pass out.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

You have the classic symptoms of a migraine. How do I know? I am a constant sufferer of them. Generally they are on one side of your head near the temples, accompanied by nausea and light/sound sensitivity. It will take you down most, if not all day. My migraines were finally diagnosed last year and after thinking back through all of my headaches, some of them made me want to smash my head against the wall.

The triggers and effects are different for everyone, which is why there will probably never be something that works for everyone. Mine change occasionally where it's off and on throughout the day.

Generally you get the gene from your mom's side, so go ask you mom if she has them. More likely than not, she has and you should probably ask for her advice on them.

If you do not have an Excedrin around, then I suggest caffeine and a couple Tylenol or Ibuprofen. The caffeine is to help constrict the blood vessels, which the opposite of what migraines tend to do inside your head and the tylenol/ibuprofen is for the pain. (If you're wondering why both, just look at the side of the Excedrin bottle) You have to take them as soon as possible to minimize the migraine. If this does not work then you will probably need to step up to the Imitrex. I actually think the Excedrin works better, and no side effects. If you want more info, feel free to hit me up and if I don't back with you soon, bug Camey.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!

Thanks

It could also be an allergy or you need to see a chiropractor.

If your back is out of alignment, that could be a cause of some serious headaches.

If you ate something or were near a smell of something, that could cause a headache.

I was getting some terrible headaches for a few days until I narrowed it down and remembered that I changed shampoos. My new shampoo had Eucalyptus in it and I'm allergic to that, so it gave me bad headaches.

When I stopped using it, they went away.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

My dad gets migranes not my mom. I am sensitive to smells though. And I am not allergic to anything except fresh cut grass.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

They start at my forhead and than slowly move backwords usually stopping a little behind my temples. Saturday was the worst, my whole head was throbbing. I was both sound and light sensitive. And little movement would kill me.

It is not totally constant. Sometimes it will stay for a couple of hours and than go a way for a few and than come back. This Relpax seemed to work tonight for a few hours and than the headaches came back. They arent as bad though.

This morning was wierd. I was really lightheaded and my knees were buckligng out, but I sdid not pass out.
    The buckling in the knees worries me. I would not wait on that. I would get checked out. The headache and lightheadedness you describe often come from a muscle in front of your neck. It is called sternocleidomastoid. It sounds scary but is just a medical way of saying muscle that attaches to my sternum, clavicle, and behing the ear. When it developes triggerpoints in the section that attaches to the clavicle it causes dizziness,nausea, and the pain pattern you describe. It usually does not create a decrease in motion so it can't be tested that way.

To locate the part that might relate to you stand in front of a mirror. When you turn your head to the side it is the muscle in front that is most prominant. When you see it put a palm on your forehead and press the head into the palm. You should see this muscle on the clavicle become more prominent. Grasp it between your thumb and index finger and apply pressure. If it tries to get away (it probably will) use tissue paper to keep it from slipping out. Pinch it with enough pressure that you feel it but that you don't need to tense the muscle or hold your breath to protect yourself. I usually hold pressure for about 10 seconds. Following the pressure it can be stretched by bringing the ear on the opposite side toward the shoulder blade. I hope this helps. Call that PT or let me know and I can get you to a great neurologist in Bethesda.
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JustusShaft View Post
    The caffeine is to help constrict the blood vessels, which the opposite of what migraines tend to do inside your head and the tylenol/ibuprofen is for the pain. (If you're wondering why both, just look at the side of the Excedrin bottle) You have to take them as soon as possible to minimize the migraine. If this does not work then you will probably need to step up to the Imitrex. I actually think the Excedrin works better, and no side effects. If you want more info, feel free to hit me up and if I don't back with you soon, bug Camey.
    I thought that caffeine was a diuretic. Wouldn't that mean that it cause vasodilation instead of vasoconstriction?

*Ponders an odd flashback to A&P and smiles*
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

All this talk of headache ... I have one right now I wish would go away!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    All this talk of headache ... I have one right now I wish would go away!
    Maybe you should take something than LOL. I would recommend Ibprofin. 3 for me usually works on a regular headach.

Thanks

2 excedrin migraine and i still have it, something going around work. argh!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    2 excedrin migraine and i still have it, something going around work. argh!
    Or around the forum LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Did you take a shot to the head? Anyway, as you all should know by now the response to a thread like this usually ends up being....

GO SEE A DOCTOR!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links