Thread: Knee Pain

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Knee Pain

What are some tips from those of you out there who have knee pain while you train. I have had a few injuries to my right knee which has left it quite weak.

I stepped on a device the other day (in a shoe store) that showed that in a natural stance, I tend to place most of my pressure on the left heel (which told me I have been using/overusing that leg since my right knee injuries to the point of it becoming natural). It partially explains the lack of quad strength in my right.

Obviously, losing weight is the main priority for me (i've heard 1lb of weight = 4-5 lbs of pressure on the knee joint), but trying to lose while keeping up with training and not wanting to damage my knee is leaving me in a conundrum.

Anyone had any luck with glucosamine?
    What leg exercises have you found most helpful for similar problems?
    Which exercises do you avoid like the plague?
    How often do you ice or use advil?

"Let the wookie win."

Thanks

Default Re: Knee Pain

Quote Originally Posted by gardawamtu View Post
    What are some tips from those of you out there who have knee pain while you train. I have had a few injuries to my right knee which has left it quite weak.

I stepped on a device the other day (in a shoe store) that showed that in a natural stance, I tend to place most of my pressure on the left heel (which told me I have been using/overusing that leg since my right knee injuries to the point of it becoming natural). It partially explains the lack of quad strength in my right.

Obviously, losing weight is the main priority for me (i've heard 1lb of weight = 4-5 lbs of pressure on the knee joint), but trying to lose while keeping up with training and not wanting to damage my knee is leaving me in a conundrum.

Anyone had any luck with glucosamine?
    What leg exercises have you found most helpful for similar problems?
    Which exercises do you avoid like the plague?
    How often do you ice or use advil?

From the end of last semester to the end of this summer I was having extreme knee pain in both knee's, mainly in my right. At first my doctor thought I tore my maniscus (sp.?) He mad me take an MRI and said that there was nothing there so he just said I had tendonitis (sp?) so he put me on an anti inflamatory.

Anyways before I went to the doctor I was always wearing a brace on each knee. And I was taking both Ibprofin and Advil. I was always regreting teaching. Especially when I had to do the side kick stretches. Kicking was also a major pain, literally. I tried to ice my knee's each night. It got so bad that I could not put any weight on my right knee without it buckling under itself.

Ten Ways to Knockout Your Arthritis Pain
    1. Identify Your Pain

Review with your doctor to ensure what kind of arthritis you have. Only he can tell you for sure if you do in fact have arthritis and what kind you may have. For example, an x-ray or MRI is required to know for sure if you have Osteoarthritis, but your doctor relies on other methods of clinical tests to give his diagnosis. Although there is no cure for arthritis, you do NOT have to live in pain. Arthritis does not have to be the inevitable result of aging. Even some juveniles and young people with injuries unfortunately do get arthritis. Once you are sure that you have arthritis, it is time to review your options.

2. Review Your Options

Surgery, Joint Replacement, Cox-II Inhibitors, NSAIDs...all the way down to Glucosamine. All of these are viable treatment options, and some are more appropriate depending on the extent of the damage that has already occurred. Glucosamine is the one exception in that it is employable at all stages to both improve the flexibility of your joints as well as rebuild cartilage once it has been lost. Even if you do not have discomfort now, a daily regimen of liquid glucosamine would do wonders to help prevent further deterioration of your joints. Only your doctor can tell you if expensive medications or surgery are right for your arthritis pain, but liquid glucosamine has been shown for decades to be an inexpensive (under $1 a day verses hundreds a month for some prescription drugs) as well as an effective discomfort-reducing dietary supplement and cartilage rebuilder.
    Consider Your Alternatives

If you have already reviewed your options, you should consider your alternatives. While there is no cure for Arthritis, glucosamine does wonders when it comes to alleviating stiffness. Clinical studies show that it works at least as well as NSAIDs (such as aspirin or ibuprofen, or some prescription drugs), and in many cases works far more effectively, with no long term side effects. Glucosamine is completely natural and it has been scientifically tested for decades. Glucosamine exists right now in your joints! By supplementing your body with Glucosamine and giving it the fuel you need to repair your joints, you are empowering yourself to take control of your stiffness!

4. Choose the Best Option

Now that you have decided that Glucosamine might be right for you, even as just a complementary approach to your current treatment, you should know that there are many different kinds of Glucosamine out there. After the breakthrough 1999 Lancet article, many manufacturers rushed out to push a product out the door. While this allowed Glucosamine to reach the masses, almost all of the products were in pill (solid) form. Absorption is a very important factor when you are deciding on a Glucosamine supplement. If you decide on a solid pill form, you could be wasting money on binders and fillers and low quality glucosamine. With a liquid formulation, you are getting far more absorption. Also, some solid Glucosamine formulations try to sell you on the Glucosamine Sulfate * KCl or * NaCl. The KCl and NaCl are known as "the salts", designed to bind to the Glucosamine molecule, which consequently take up weight, cheaply. You may be paying for up to 30% or more of the cheaper NaCl (table salt) or KCl, while still giving you the labeled dose of “Glucosamine.” So if you see KCl or NaCl on your bottle, it is recommended that you find an alternative form (Glucosamine HCl or Glucosamine Sulfate). We also recommend that you stray away from Glucosamine Creams as many preparations are rarely effective.
    5. 14 Ingredients to Ease Joint Discomfort

Glucosamine Sulfate / HCL
    Chondroitin Sulfate
    MSM
    Omega 3 Fatty Acids
    Manganese Ascorbate
    Boswellia Serrata (Boswellin)
    Niacinamide
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin E
    Aloe Vera
    Bromelaine
    Yucca

6. Select Your Glucosamine Product

The product that most closely matches the purchasing criteria is Flexicose. Flexicose contains 14 synergistic ingredients including 1500mg glucosamine per day of high quality liquid glucosamine. Flexicose has versions for Humans, Athletes and Pets.

Home> Arthritis Center > Ten Ways to Knockout Your Arthritis Pain7. Implement Your Plan

Either you or someone you know has arthritis. Now that you know what to look for and have read up on possible products that will meet your needs at a reasonable cost (again, under 30 to 40 dollars a month), go ahead and order your product. Be advised that Glucosamine might take longer than regular NSAIDS to be effective (note: do not expect IMMEDIATE relief) but give it some time, as much as a month in some rarer cases. Cuts cannot heal overnight and your body cannot repair years of damage overnight. Glucosamine may take a bit longer to be as effective, but the relief lasts far longer than NSAIDS because it is rebuilding your cartilage. Consider signing up for an autobilling system so that you can ensure that a fresh new supply arrives at your door every month. Generally the companies that offer this will give you a discount on every bottle when you sign up. 8. Have Arthritis? Ease Your Joint Discomfort

Continue using your product, and give it a fair period of time to judge its effectiveness for you. Any product you should buy (and you certainly shouldn’t buy from anywhere if they do not) should offer you a no hassle no questions asked 30 day refund policy. If after a month you have noticed no change at all in your arthritis-related discomfort (keep in mind, there is no cure for arthritis), then consider trying another product. Perhaps the concentration of glucosamine was not enough for you or the ingredients were not of the highest quality. Ensure that you give the product time to work and do not get disappointed if the results are not as quick as you hoped. Cuts do not heal overnight, and Glucosamine cannot get to work rebuilding joints in just a few hours. But stick with it, its worth it. Your joints will thank you.
    9. Maintain Your Treatment

Ensure that you continue to use your glucosamine product everyday. Because there is no cure for arthritis, it will continue to destroy your joints unless you actively keep rebuilding the cartilage is ruins. Keep taking your high quality liquid Glucosamine. Consider signing up for an autoship program (if your glucosamine supplier offers it) to ensure a continual supply of glucosamine. Just like food and vitamins, glucosamine needs to be taken daily to do its job. Consider setting aside a time (perhaps early in the morning with breakfast) to take your glucosamine everyday so that you get in the rhythm and do not miss a day. Missing a day will certainly not harm you, but you will miss out on maximizing your relief
    10. Complementary Approaches

Consult with your doctor before starting any exercise program. Other approaches such as low impact or cardio exercise may be effective at reducing arthritis pain further. He or she may be able to suggest some arthritis specific exercises for you. Another effective way to combat arthritis pain is to lose weight or start an exercise program, as the less strain on the knees or spine there is, the less pain one there will be. The weight bearing joints such as the knees or hips are most likely to be effected by arthritis pain. If nothing else, continue taking your glucosamine, and if you are able to work in exercise and a healthy diet as well, then you will be able to combat your arthritis even more.

http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/

Hopefully this will help out some way
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I had an MRI for my knee pain and the first evaluation of the MRI was that it was inconclusive. I asked a friend who is a radiologist to review it and his knee person said it was not inconclusive and that there was a torn meniscus. I had laproscopic surgery and rehab. I still have arthritis in it so I wear a neoprene brace during class. Watch how much advil (ibuprophen is the same stuff) you take since it can cause liver damage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chempo View Post
    Watch how much advil (ibuprophen is the same stuff) you take since it can cause liver damage.
    Not only that, they can also cause blood problems and ulcer's.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Once the docs have cleared all the scary stuff, its good to look at the flexibility of the muscles around the joint. The Quadriceps, Hamstrings, and Adductors should all be flexible. One of the biggest keys that I have found as a therapist is to see if the middle of the knee cap is in alignment with the leg below. The bony part of the shin (tibial tuberosity) should be directly below the knee cap. If it is to the outside of the knee cap, it is almost always a tight outside hamstring muscle. You can strech this sitting on the edge of a chgair and bringing your leg accross toward the opposite side of the body. Lean down across the leg. This usually lines the knee up and takes pressure off of all the other structures around it. If you want me to talk you thru it email me off list and we can see about getting you some help!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finn View Post
    Once the docs have cleared all the scary stuff, its good to look at the flexibility of the muscles around the joint. The Quadriceps, Hamstrings, and Adductors should all be flexible. One of the biggest keys that I have found as a therapist is to see if the middle of the knee cap is in alignment with the leg below. The bony part of the shin (tibial tuberosity) should be directly below the knee cap. If it is to the outside of the knee cap, it is almost always a tight outside hamstring muscle. You can strech this sitting on the edge of a chgair and bringing your leg accross toward the opposite side of the body. Lean down across the leg. This usually lines the knee up and takes pressure off of all the other structures around it. If you want me to talk you thru it email me off list and we can see about getting you some help!

That's quite a stretch. Tried it just now... i'm gonna have to do that one more often.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Try measuring again after the stretch. It often lines the knee cap and tibia and gets pressure off of the knee.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Thanks to all for your advice. I've tried Glucosamine before and did not really feel a difference. Of course that may be because whenever I try to get on glucosamine, I'm also trying to get in shape, meaning I'm using the knees more often -- not quite a good controlled experiment.

Richard, thanks for your advice on alignment. When I had surgery about 9 years ago to remove some scar tissue, the surgeon said I had "girls knees" (surgeon's words, not mine, sorry if any take offense). What he meant was that my knee joints were inside my hip joints and not in good alignment. He said he had many women patients with the same problem because they have wider hips for birthing. Do you have any good exercise for those with that problem?

Also, I do not have great range of motion in my right knee, so when I kneel I cannot sit back all the way. Anyone know how to work on that?

Finally, does anyone know if machine leg extensions are bad for the knees? I'm frustrated because all the exercises that can build great muscle on the quads tend to be bad for the knees (squats, lunges, etc.).

Thanks for the help everyone.
    "Let the wookie win."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

In respose to the same question three times in a row by physical therapists at her last public lecture Janet Travell MD physician to two presidents said that strengthening an injured muscle should be performed only after the muscle had achieved full range of motion and been pain free for two weeks. I have found this to be true in my practice.

There are many ways to stretch the muscles around your knee that would be helpful. Leg extensions often add to the problem rather than help it. There are at least two keys to increasing the flexibility of the muscles. I usually recommend hourly stretches of about 5 seconds with 3 reps. This type of frequency usually is effective in changing the length of the muscle long term. This frequency usually achieves results in about two weeks. The second is compression of trigger points in these muscles prior to stretching. If you want to know more about this let me know. I have some written directions on my other computer.

The knees being close together may also be due to a flattened arch in the foot. This is often caused by a long second metatarsal (ball of the foot is farther foward under the second toe than the first. This is easy to correct. The knees can also be pushed in by a tight line of muscles on the outside of the hip and leg as well as the front and back of your pelvis.

I was not sure how to quote the part of the message I was referring two and keep my reply separate. How is that done?

Thanks

Ice ice baby.

Ice ice baby.

Every time. For a long time.

Careful exercises.

Alleve baby.

Ice and Alleve. Story of my life.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links