Thread: rotator cuff

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default rotator cuff

I'm constantly dealing w/ rotator cuff issues for various reasons... all tied to being an uke. The last and most harry was when someone put a gawd awful hammerlock on me and slammed me into the mat. That was over a year ago and my rotator hasn't been the same, though I'm pretty positive that it isn't torn. I've been using weights to strengthen the muscle but nothing really seems to do the trick. Have any of you had similar problems? If so, are there any particular exercises that you found really helpful?

Thanks for the feedback if you have any.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: rotator cuff

Camey,
    My fiancee has some fairly bad shoulder issues as well. One thing that does the most good for her is having some deep tissue massage that releases some of the tension and lets her joint move more freely.

Her massage therapist suggested some stretches, shrugs, rotator flexion, and some development of the upper pectorals to help strengthen the supporting muscles.

Plus, massage is just a treat.
    Do you work at a computer a lot?
    "Let the wookie win."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Yes, I'm at the computer pretty much non-stop. Massage always sounds good. Maybe I'll treat myself come payday. Thanks for the reply.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Wink Re: rotator cuff

Strengthening an injured muscle is often just adding insult and possible injury to an injury. It is like asking a lame horse to run. If I did that to my pet I would be in trouble with all kinds of groups and government agencies.

If your pain is coming from a myofascial trigger point it would be helpd by treating the affected muscles with compression techniques and stretches rather than strengthening. Where in the shoulder is the pain located? Does it go down the arm or into the neck? Let me know and I'll try to be of some help.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Topically applied DMSO and deeep tissue work.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

I know when I have shoulder problems I ask my chiropractor to give it a nudge. Always does the trick. Of coure Im usually in agony for a week or two before I ask for help v_v*
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for all the responses.

The pain originates on and is pretty much isolated to then the posterior side of my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finn
    Where in the shoulder is the pain located? Does it go down the arm or into the neck? Let me know and I'll try to be of some help.
    -Camey

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Wink Re: rotator cuff

If the pain in the back of your shoulder is caused by muscles it will limit the ability to raise your arm in front in a circular motion and bring it behind your ear. Try it on both sides. If it does not go behind the ear locate where you feel it being tight. It should pull in the back of your armpit or slightly below the shoulder in the back of the arm. (The muscles are the posterior deltoid, supraspinatus, and both teres muscles) Locate the area of tenderness and place a tennis or racquet ball there. Lay you arm out over a table or on the floor and gently ease your body weight to put pressure on the area of pain. If you feel yourself tightening or holding your breath you are using too much pressure. Hold the pressure for 10-30 seconds. Retest and see if it feels better and you have more range. I need to do this periodically after being struck by a drunk driver. I tried to slap and roll but there was nowhere to role and that area is mostly scar tissue. This treatment keeps me going. If my directions are not clear enough email me and I can see if I can talk you through it. If you pass the test there is another muscular possibility and we can try it! I hope this helps!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thanks so much. That was so thorough. I believe I follow that pretty well. I'll give it a go and report back.

I'm really sorry to hear about your accident and glad you've found some therapeutic methods for yourself.

Thanks again.
    -Camey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Bad Camey! Using wieghts with an injury....Bad!
    Ever consider going to a Doctor specializing in Sports Medicine? I know from personal experience that ignoring an injury and continueing to work out with it can do serious damage over time. We don't need to lose talented Kenpoist to unnecessary injury...so take care of yourself!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I had a rotator cuff injury that bothered me for an entire year.
    The pain ranged from hardly there, to intolerable.
    Do things that make your shoulder feel good.......stay away from things that make it feel bad.
    Sounds simple, right? You'd be surprised how many people carry on with activites that cause problems even when they're aware of them.

Have a good DC, shiatsu therapist, or massage therapist look at it and determine which muscle it is and develop a plan of action for getting it back in shape.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Find a college that offers massage
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Using wieghts with an injury....Bad!
    Ever consider going to a Doctor specializing in Sports Medicine?
    right on. after talking to the MD, you will more than likely be heading down to your local specialty fitness store to buy resistance tubing. you NEED to start with low resistance. i work for one of the largest specialty fitness companies in the country (not boasting, just saying im in the industry and have for a while)... one of guys here and i both have similar issues. im lucky, hes sold equipment to everyone in the area, so its like having our own medical staff on call
    anywho, i digress

i suggest calling someone specializing in sports injuries, but if you dont you can always do this.

buy some resistance tubing (light resistance) it should come with a little nipple thing to attach it to a door. arm at a 90* angle (like riding a bike and signalling a right turn) rotate so your hand is pointing foward to straight up.
    then with your arm at your side and your opposite side to the door, bend at the elbow so your hand is pointing in front of you (like you were going to shake my hand, or hand me a beer) and rotate at your elbow so your hand is pointing away from the door.

hope it helps

oh, i havent finished my first cup of coffee yet, so if there are any spelling or grammatical errors... piss off

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0DazE

oh, i havent finished my first cup of coffee yet, so if there are any spelling or grammatical errors... piss off
    Just a note. we are a friendly board here and we don't do comments like piss off even when joking.

Rob Broad
    KenpoTalk Global Moderator

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

sorry, i didnt realize this was a humor free zone.
    my humor is dry like gin, and my sarchasim is thick... especially before my coffee.

Thanks

my humor is dry like gin, and my sarchasim is thick... especially before my coffee.
    just in case you didnt finish your coffee.......
    sarcasm*

Thanks

KenpoTalk is not a humor free zone, but we do have standards that we take very seriously. One of those standards is to keep the conversation friendly, another is to keep the language clean, there may be children on the site so it is always better to err in the side of caution.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    just in case you didnt finish your coffee.......
    sarcasm*
    yeah, i was a math major. theres a reason we turned words into symbols

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links