Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Has this ever happened to you?

  1. #1
    Shodan's Avatar
    Shodan is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Has this ever happened to you?

    I had a weird sort of injury happen last night so am wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows what could have happened?

    I had worked out for about 45 minutes in the black belt class (doing normal stuff and to my knowledge, I didn't get hit in the stomach). We then did warm-ups again with the next adult beginner class and started into moving basics. I went back to help my son with something (sitting on the side-lines) and when I bent over to grab something off the floor, it was like a very sharp pain in my stomach as though something had suddenly been pinched or crushed the wrong way. I stood up, thinking all would be fine and I'd re-join class but then very suddenly got nauseous, kinda weak-kneed and a little short of breath. I raised my arms over my head which seemed to help a bit.....felt like I needed to stretch my stomach out somehow.......so, I layed down on the floor face down and pushed up with my arms to stretch the tummy out. Once I stood up from that, I felt a lot better. Gave it another 5 minutes and everything was back to normal!! Last night and today though, I feel as though I've done like 5,000 sit-ups. It feels like a lot of muscles are pulled in my stomach.

    Wondering- could I have pinched a muscle? An intestine? Anyone else ever experience this? It was not fun!!

    Thanks!!
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

    If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

    ~Captain Jack Sparrow~



    You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

    ~Captain Jack Sparrow~

  2. #2
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,453
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,949 Times in 5,599 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shodan
    I had a weird sort of injury happen last night so am wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows what could have happened?

    I had worked out for about 45 minutes in the black belt class (doing normal stuff and to my knowledge, I didn't get hit in the stomach). We then did warm-ups again with the next adult beginner class and started into moving basics. I went back to help my son with something (sitting on the side-lines) and when I bent over to grab something off the floor, it was like a very sharp pain in my stomach as though something had suddenly been pinched or crushed the wrong way. I stood up, thinking all would be fine and I'd re-join class but then very suddenly got nauseous, kinda weak-kneed and a little short of breath. I raised my arms over my head which seemed to help a bit.....felt like I needed to stretch my stomach out somehow.......so, I layed down on the floor face down and pushed up with my arms to stretch the tummy out. Once I stood up from that, I felt a lot better. Gave it another 5 minutes and everything was back to normal!! Last night and today though, I feel as though I've done like 5,000 sit-ups. It feels like a lot of muscles are pulled in my stomach.

    Wondering- could I have pinched a muscle? An intestine? Anyone else ever experience this? It was not fun!!

    Thanks!!
    Sounds like an abdominal spasm due to perhaps a loss of potassium and/or a slight muscle strain from physical exertion. What's your age group?
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Sounds like an abdominal spasm due to perhaps a loss of potassium and/or a slight muscle strain from physical exertion. What's your age group?
    Commonly reffered to as "dehydration." I'm no medical doctor, but that's what it sounded like to me too. If you're truely concerned though, I would suggest seeing a medical doctor. Especially if it is recurring.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

  4. #4
    Shodan's Avatar
    Shodan is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Thanks guys! Naw......that's the first time it's ever happened.....so it's not recurring yet!!

    Dehydration would not be surprising as we do sweat a lot and I don't drink enough water.....gotta get better about that.

    I am 33
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

    If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

    ~Captain Jack Sparrow~



    You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

    ~Captain Jack Sparrow~

  5. #5
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,453
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,949 Times in 5,599 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shodan
    Thanks guys! Naw......that's the first time it's ever happened.....so it's not recurring yet!!

    Dehydration would not be surprising as we do sweat a lot and I don't drink enough water.....gotta get better about that.

    I am 33
    Sounds about right as you began to get into 'oldtimer' years in sports. Keep the body hydrated and replace lost potassium. A visit to your physician will probably yield similar advice, but see the doctor anyway. I am not an M.D., (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once)
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  6. #6
    Ceicei's Avatar
    Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 72 Times in 39 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Sounds about right as you began to get into 'oldtimer' years in sports. Keep the body hydrated and replace lost potassium.
    What are your suggestions for replenishing potassium?

    - Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

  7. #7
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,453
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,949 Times in 5,599 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceicei
    What are your suggestions for replenishing potassium?

    - Ceicei
    Most 'sport drinks' like Gatorade/Powerade, etc are loaded with potassium and salt to help you replinish and retain fluids. (Read those labels) Or you may take doctor prescribed or supervised potassium suppliments.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  8. #8
    Roadrunner is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 47 Times in 34 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceicei
    What are your suggestions for replenishing potassium?

    - Ceicei
    Bananas are a great source of potassium.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hoth
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 81 Times in 71 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Most 'sport drinks' like Gatorade/Powerade, etc are loaded with potassium and salt to help you replinish and retain fluids. (Read those labels) Or you may take doctor prescribed or supervised potassium suppliments.
    I love powerade - I think it tastes better than gatorade.

    IMO
    Susan A. Spann

    Something Here Coming Soon

    Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )



  10. #10
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,453
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,949 Times in 5,599 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    I love powerade - I think it tastes better than gatorade.

    IMO
    Actually potatoes have significantly more potassium than bananas, but neither can compenstae for a significant loss without large cnsumption beyond what most would eat. Gatorade or doctor supervised suppliments are your best options.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    I'm 36 and drink tons of water during the day and gatorade when exercising.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

  12. #12
    Ceicei's Avatar
    Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 72 Times in 39 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Are there significant differences (besides the flavor and manufacturer) between Powerade and Gatorade with their hydrating value?

    - Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

  13. #13
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,453
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,949 Times in 5,599 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceicei
    Are there significant differences (besides the flavor and manufacturer) between Powerade and Gatorade with their hydrating value?

    - Ceicei
    Sorry ma'am, I don't know. I never touch the stuff.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  14. #14
    Richard Finn's Avatar
    Richard Finn is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    401
    Thanks
    234
    Thanked 149 Times in 103 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Since the stretching seemed to help, it would be good to see if you have trigger points (tender nodules in muscles) in your abdominal muscles. Get on your back and take a deep breath and hold it. Feel along your midline for about an inch to either side and see if you find a tender area. Hold the spot and exhale slowly. Work down both sides of your the midline of your belly. Turn back on your belly and do your stretch and see if this helps! Good luck!

  15. #15
    Shodan's Avatar
    Shodan is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

    Thanks again to everyone here.....I've had about a week off with no further problems.....will see how it goes tonight. I will try to increase potassium and keep up with my water intake too.

    Mr. Finn- thanks!! I'll try that!
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

    If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

    ~Captain Jack Sparrow~



    You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

    ~Captain Jack Sparrow~

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Crazy thing that happened tonight
    By hemi in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 09:37 AM
  2. So the darndest thing happened last week...
    By TheEdge2005 in forum Parker - Mills / AKKI
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2006, 12:41 AM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
  4. Basics. What the hell happened to them
    By The Kai in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 01:25 AM