Thread: Isometric Training for Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Isometric Training for Kenpo

Has anyone worked with Isometric training for Kenpo or MA in general? I've recently started a program and have had great results thus far. I was no longer able to use traditional weight training methods. Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Chris
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Isometric Training for Kenpo

One of the things that I have found with isometrics is that sinces you are arresting your movement, you aren't strengthening your muscles through your full range of motion. Isometrics only strengthen the muscles of the joint at the point of stress.

The second thing is that while Isometrics does increase strength it seems most of its improvement at lower speed movements. I used to remember why, something to do with fast twitch and slow twitch muscles.

You said that you can't lift weights anymore. Have you tried really light weights like 1, 2 or 5 lbs strap on weights. I would start and work you techs and forms very slowly (to not reinjure your elbow) with the weights. You will be amazed at the amount of effort it takes to do this with just a little amount of weight. As your get stronger slowly increase your weight or speed. Practice punching and kicking with the light weights. Just be careful when you increase speed or you might accidentally hyper-extend a joint.

Just my .02.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I do the Isometrics at low speed, full contraction, full range of motion. So far they have worked well for me. The weight thing is something that I've dealt with for the last 12 years. After multiple shoulder dislocations in both shoulders, Torn mcl in the elbow and compound fracture of the radil and ulnar in my right forearm it is very uncomfortable. I have regained full strength. That was with weight training and stretching, but due to the injuries it makes weight training not comfortable. Usually now after a few weeks the aches and pains become too much. I found that swimming laps / walking along with isometric / body resistance training has been effective for me. Thanks for your input.

Regards

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronin6
    I do the Isometrics at low speed, full contraction, full range of motion. So far they have worked well for me. The weight thing is something that I've dealt with for the last 12 years. After multiple shoulder dislocations in both shoulders, Torn mcl in the elbow and compound fracture of the radil and ulnar in my right forearm it is very uncomfortable. I have regained full strength. That was with weight training and stretching, but due to the injuries it makes weight training not comfortable. Usually now after a few weeks the aches and pains become too much. I found that swimming laps / walking along with isometric / body resistance training has been effective for me. Thanks for your input.

Regards
    Good to see that you are still keeping at it even with the injuries. That kind of injury could really stop someone in their tracks. Way to go.

Having access to a place to swim is great. Good Cardio work and Zero Impact on the joints.

I am curious how you are doing full range of motion with an Isometric exercise. Are you working a joint from multiple different angles? Being a static exercise makes it really hard to work all the angles. Some can be downright painful.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement. I have to say it has been a test. I thought many of times to give up and walk away from martial arts all together.

As for the training, using the body resistance I simulate some exercises that ou would do in a gym, ie:cable crossovers and things like that. I did a bit of researchh and it appears as though John McSweeney took many tiger like drils from kung fu and used them as a form of body resistance training. From what I was taught of these exercises they have a direct impact from Mr. McSweeney.

As for the range of motion I took stretching that i learned from rehab / physical tourtures, sorry therapists and made them body weight resistance exercises. Pretty much all that you do could be made into this type of exercise. I say that back when I was a gym rat weights never made me sweat as much as when I do the exercises. i have broken the stretchs into different body part routines and so far I've had great results. I tend to no longer have some of the joint or tendon stiffness. I have been doing this for the last 3 months and I have seen great improvemnts in range of motion and strength in area that were lacking from these previous injuries.

Thanks

im not understanding your use of the word isometric.
    isometrics as i know it means that the muscle neither lengthens or shortens during the exercise period.
    for example, standing in a deep horse stance is an isometric exercise, lifting a weight and holding in one place is isometric.....doing a kata really slow with a lot of muscular force isnt.
    this is more like resistance training because it is isotonic.
    Isometric exercises are great for martial arts if you train with them purposefully. being stable during a punch, block, or parry is important in what we do. It is also important to have great structure during transition.
    An isometric exercise helps by strengthening muscles at various points along its effective range of motion.
    It also helps to strengthen fast twitch muscle fibres.
    How?
    After a muscle has held a position for a long time it needs to recruit new muscle fibres in order to stay there.........it does this by bringing fast twitch muscle fibres into play.
    By holding positions for long periods of time you train your muscles to be able to move quickly into the position you trained it to.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    im not understanding your use of the word isometric.
    isometrics as i know it means that the muscle neither lengthens or shortens during the exercise period.
    for example, standing in a deep horse stance is an isometric exercise, lifting a weight and holding in one place is isometric.....doing a kata really slow with a lot of muscular force isnt.
    this is more like resistance training because it is isotonic.
    Isometric exercises are great for martial arts if you train with them purposefully. being stable during a punch, block, or parry is important in what we do. It is also important to have great structure during transition.
    An isometric exercise helps by strengthening muscles at various points along its effective range of motion.
    It also helps to strengthen fast twitch muscle fibres.
    How?
    After a muscle has held a position for a long time it needs to recruit new muscle fibres in order to stay there.........it does this by bringing fast twitch muscle fibres into play.
    By holding positions for long periods of time you train your muscles to be able to move quickly into the position you trained it to.
    You are correct. I realized after I posted my error. In the last post I was trying to refine this by using body weight resistance.

Thanks

I'm greatful for the insite this topic has provided. I would only add that no matter what type of exercise you do; you should make it explosive.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronin6
    You are correct. I realized after I posted my error. In the last post I was trying to refine this by using body weight resistance.
    That's what I was wondering about as well? Your exercise program sounded isokinetic instead of isometric.

It sounds like you have a great program going. I remember all the tortures of rehab for my hip. I have incorporated them into my workout as well. The hip still isn't back to where it was but, it is getting there.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links