Thread: NO CURLING IN THE SQUAT RACK/Start rant

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default NO CURLING IN THE SQUAT RACK/Start rant

Okay this is something that HAS to be said...

I intend to go to the gym, having neglected the squats for a couple of months I had made a commitment to myself in regards to squatting I wanted to get back on the stick.

So mentally I prepare myself, walking myself through the paces of strapping on the belt, loading the plates, getting my angles right, and hitting some deep squats. This went over and over in my mind on the way to the gym.

I walk into the door wieght belt in hand, iPod playing some Motorhead full blast as I strap on my wieght belt making a beeline towards the 2 squat racks.

BAM! DENIED! BLOCKED AT THE HOOP!

BOTH squat racks, I said that right BOTH had @$$holes sitting in them with the bars pulled all the way up DOING CURLS!! CURLS!!!!!!

THERE SHOULD BE NO CURLS IN THE SQUAT RACK!

You can work your arms anywhere in the gym, freewights, machines, in from on the mirror, the preacher curl bench, cables, etc. etc.

There is really only ONE place you can squat and squat heavily and I was denied by the butt faces who think they need to curl in the SQUAT rack.

/end rant
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Do you feel better now.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: NO CURLING IN THE SQUAT RACK/Start rant

haha a little bit....tell me you did not feel my pain
    www.hunterskarate.com

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

What a bunch of morons, I hated it when people did that,
    We have a weight room where i train at, so its not like that at all,
    One of these days i'll post my fav bicep workout i dubbed them "Mercy Curls) got them from Ronnie Coleman (in a magazine) LOL

I used to be a personal Trainer at 24 hr Fitness,
    ( its ALL in the magazines we're not that creative LOL)

Ray
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Squat rack? Man, what will they think of next?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    haha a little bit....tell me you did not feel my pain
    I know exactly what you are talking about. We have 1 squat rack. Generally though I prefer the smith machine because it doesn't hurt my knee anywhere near as much as free standing.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Curls in the squat rack? Hmmmm. One of my OTHER pet peeves in the gym. My biggest pet peeve is when some idiot starts to unload your bar on the bench so he can 'rep out with 135'.

Quick story: Last year I was in the middle of a monster bench workout. I had already gone up to 500 and loaded 540 on the bar. My partner and I walked outside to put on my bench shirt. When I came back in, some moron had started taking all the plates off my bar. I asked him whaddahell? and he said all the other benches were being used. I asked him if he saw my belt, bag, water, towel, and chalk sitting next to the bench I was in the process of using and he said that he was just gonna rep out with 135 and I could have it back........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I told him I was gonna walk back outside and when I came back in, all the plates had better be back on the bar or it was gonna get ugly, fast. He asked if I was threatening him, LOLOLOL. My lifting partner intervened and said, Dude, Ive seen him threaten people before, he's promising you.
    We walked back outside, came back in, and all the plates were back where they belonged, on the bar. Then the gym manager came back and told me that I had to quit 'hogging the bench' and told me that I was causing a disturbance. LOLOLOL. OH YEAH!!!!! Precisely why I have invested in my own squat rack, bench, and weights for my garage. It's not nearly as pretty as the old gym, but there are no morons curling in MY squat rack, and damn sure no 'toners' repping out with 135.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I recently purchased my own free weights 600 lbs olympic weights with Olympic bench with squat rack on the back,too far to go to the gym now and with karate I just dont have time like I used too.
    Now its all in my cellar anytime I need it.
    Just another Lifelong student Walking the Endless journey of Kenpo.(and Loving it)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalicombat
    ... I had already gone up to 500 and loaded 540 on the bar. ..
    If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to get up that high. I'm still slighlty under 300 and haven't been able to break it. I don't go for maxes hardly at all but I've made strides in strength by switching to dumbells. I feel better using them. I only use the barbell every once in a while. Although I have 2 seperate chest sessions a week. Let me know how you made your advances?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Jason,
    How's it going? Glad your making gains. For me, through lots of trial and error over the years, I have developed a training method that works above all others I have tried. First, I only work bench one time a week, on saturdays. Twice a week is too often unless your second workout is simply one for recovery. By that I mean moderate weights with three or 4 sets of 15 reps, basically to supply blood to the recovering muscle tissue.

One of the other most important steps in building a big bench is tricep work. Tricep pushdowns, while they build the outer head or the classic horseshoe, on the tricep, is not the correct exercise for building functional bench strength. That task is best obtained by two exercises; 1. Lying tricep extensions to the forehead, 2. Close grip bench press. As far as other upper body exercises, first stop doing any overhead pressing. This puts too much stress on the shoulders and robs the energy from the bench. I do bent over reverse dumbell flys for my shoulders, and shrugs. the reverse flys are on the same plane as the bench press, and realy strengthen the rear delts. Shrugs, well, I just like em. As far as lats, bent over dumbell rows or t'bar rows, but not pull downs. The bent over rows are also on the same plane as the bench, and all this helps build functional bench press strength.

Actual chest exercises are the flat bar bench press, board presses, and decline bench press. ALot of people think the incline bench is good for chest development, and it is, but, inclines are not condusive to building a good flat bench. Incline put way too much stress on the shoulders and only good as a bodybuilding exercise.

The whole goal in building a strong bench is to move the highest amount of weight from the starting point, to the chest, and back to the starting point. It is important to try to have most of your upper body exercises work along the same plane as the bench.

I prefer to do a 5 x 5 type workout for the actual bench. It is perfect for me. On bench day always do your bench workout first, then the accessory exercises. First, your bench cycle should be 16 weeks, do a couple of warm up sets at each workout with 135, 15 and 10 reps, then start your workout sets. There is a 5 x 5 workout calculator at the website below. All you do is type in your 1 rep max. They ask for your increments of weights, meaning do you have access to 2 and a half pound plates. The default is for 5 pounds, which is easier and simpler.

http://www.joeskopec.com/five.html

After doing the flat bench workout, decline bench, 4 or 5 sets of no more then 5 reps, with about 70% of your 1 rep max. Then on to three board presses, also 4 or 5 sets with 100 to 110% of your one rep max. Then tricep work, and thats it for the bench and tricep day. Shoulders and lats can be done three days later, but remember to save lots of room for squats and deads in the week.

Email me if you need more specific breakdown.

Later,
    Gary C.

Thanks

Really good advice. The funny part to me though, is that I've never gone for my max on benches, but I struggle to get out 8 reps of 135. btw, it's a "gym law" that if you see someone's gear at a workout station (duh), it's in use.

Thanks

Gary, thanks for the advice.

When I do use the flat bench barbell I do something similar to the 5x5's. I first start with 135 for 2x15. Then jump to 185 for 8-10. Next is 225 for as many reps as I can handle. Lastly is 245 or 250 for 1. After that I drop down to 205 for the 5x5.
    Since I started keeping a log on here both of my chest workout's are in my training thread. Then again, I really don't use the same workout week after week.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

One of my BB's is a big guy; gym rat for 25 years. Went in to use the squat rack with a guy doing EZ bar curls on it. Asked the guy (courteously), "How many more sets do you have?". The guy responds tersely, " I have a lotta sets to go. I mean, LOTSA sets." My buddy, 6'2", 270,and about 8% bodyfat says, "No, you're done NOW." And moves the guy outta the way to unload his bar (to clarify...picks him up, and puts him down off to the side of the rack).

Sometimes, it's good to be the gorilla.

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house
    One of my BB's is a big guy; gym rat for 25 years. Went in to use the squat rack with a guy doing EZ bar curls on it. Asked the guy (courteously), "How many more sets do you have?". The guy responds tersely, " I have a lotta sets to go. I mean, LOTSA sets." My buddy, 6'2", 270,and about 8% bodyfat says, "No, you're done NOW." And moves the guy outta the way to unload his bar (to clarify...picks him up, and puts him down off to the side of the rack).

Sometimes, it's good to be the gorilla.

Dave
    hahahahaha thats great
    www.hunterskarate.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links