Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workout advice anyone?

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Workout advice anyone?

Well, for the first time in my life, I joined a fitness gym a few weeks ago. I've never really worked out with weights and machines, so I'm looking for some advice. I'm fairly average, 5'11", 185 lbs., neither fat nor skinny, decent strength but not extremely toned. I'd like to really tone up without adding too much bulk, as well as increase my overall endurance and stamina. Right now I have about 45 minutes of workout time, 4-5 days a week. What I've been doing: 15 minutes cardio (treadmill or elliptical - alternate each day), 20 minutes weight machines. I don't know the names for all of them, but I've been doing a series of 3 sets of 10 each on 6 different machines working the following groups: pecs, shoulders, back (rowing maching with weights), biceps (curls), side muscles (lifting sideways), and abs. Then, I finish off with another 10 minutes cardio/endurance - doing a couple forms fast and hard. Ok, am I being effective? What can I do to be more effective? Thanks in advance for the advice.

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

Thanks

Default Re: Workout advice anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by thesensei
    Well, for the first time in my life, I joined a fitness gym a few weeks ago. I've never really worked out with weights and machines, so I'm looking for some advice. I'm fairly average, 5'11", 185 lbs., neither fat nor skinny, decent strength but not extremely toned. I'd like to really tone up without adding too much bulk, as well as increase my overall endurance and stamina. Right now I have about 45 minutes of workout time, 4-5 days a week. What I've been doing:
    What I do to get strong without bulk is to do high reps with low weights. I'm up to 4lb. weights right now and I do 100 upwards blocks, 100 inward blocks, 100 outward/downward blocks and 100 punches. I'm getting very strong doing that. When I can get up to 125 of each without dying, I up the weight and drop the number.

Do the same with sit ups and kicks. High reps and low weights. You'll be tone in no time.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Amy is so hard-core! It works though. She turned me on to practicing with weighted gear and I can tell a difference. I too practice blocks, strikes, and various maneuvers with weighted gloves and ankle weights. It will wear you out! What I really like about it though is that I don't have to divide my workout time between Kenpo and weight training or endurance training. I can do them all at once!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thesensei
    I'd like to really tone up without adding too much bulk.
    I honestly think this is a "bodybuilding myth" of sorts. To get any sort of "bulk" usually you are talking tons of protien, calories, and hours working complex routines with wieghts. The novice (like you and me) will not gain huge amounts of bulk with the type of program that you listed. Most "bulky" guys you see with bogus routines in the magazines are honestly doing the whole development through modern chemistry thing.

I think the key to any workout routine expecting results is consitency. With both your diet and your workout, this won't bulk you unless you specifically design it to do so.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I just rely on heavy bag work to do my strength and endurance training. For me it works great and really tones you up if you're serious enough about it. I've spent hours at a time working the bag. One time my sensei wanted to try something different so he had the class punch the bags until they couldn't punch any longer. well he underestimated myself and a few of my fellow students and ended up extending class an extra 45 minutes that night. I cannot stress how much this works. I'm only 5'8 181 lbs and I'm definitely not overweight. If you do the math thats quite a bit of weight to fit on such a small frame. I'm not too bulky either, its just made me very lean. I would definitely be way behind if I didn't have a bag.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hypertrophy, or muscle growth, is a by product of breaking a muscle down from resistance training. If you weight train, your muscles will grow. The old myth of martial artists 'not wanting to get too big' is exactly that, a myth. The genetic freaks and steroid assisted monsters you see in the bodybuilding mags are just that, genetic freaks and steroid users. For the average Joe, there is no fear of gaining too much muscle.

To gain strength, heavy weights and low reps are the only way to go. This type of training also limits hypertrophy, but, some growth will occur.
    Weight training must be tackled in terms of cycles. If you are inexperienced, then a foundation must be created to strengthen ligaments, tendons, and get your joints used to handling heavier weights.
    Some recommendations are:
    1. Stay away from machines. They limit your range of motion and do not build accessory muscles.
    2. Stay away from isolation exercises. Exercises like preacher curls, dumbell raises, and other exercises that target one specific muscle or part of a muscle.
    3. Do compund movement exercises. Exercises that incorporate mutliple muscle groups to perform the movement.
    4. Start your workouts with the largest muscle group first, Legs, then back, shoulders, chest, abs, and arms.
    5. Cardio conditioning should be done on opposite days from weight training to get the maximum results from each. However, 10 minutes on a bike at the beginning of a weigh workout is advisable to warm up the body and get your heart rate going.

Basic beginner workout. To be done three days a week, every other day.

Day 1, 3, and 5:

Squats -4 sets of 8 to 10 reps.
    Works legs, glutes, low back, and helps expand ribcage.
    Deadlifts- 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps.
    Works entire body, mainly low back and legs
    Bent Over Barbell Rows- 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps.
    Works rear delts, back, biceps
    Pull Ups- 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps.
    Works upper back, Lats, and biceps
    Seated shoulder Press, to the front- 4 sets of 8 to 10
    Works front and medial shoulders, upper chest, and triceps
    Flat bench press- 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Works chest, front delts, triceps, and helps expand ribcage.
    Dumbell flys- 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Works chest, and shoulders
    Incline situps- 4 sets of 25
    Works abs and upper thighs
    Lying tricep extensions- 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Works triceps
    Standing Flat Barbell curls- 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Works biceps, fore arms.

....that is 40 sets of 8 to 10 reps. This should take you 45 minutes to an hour to complete. with a 1 minute rest between each set.

Do this workout for 6 weeks. This workout will help condition your body to handle heavier weights in addition to building a solid foundation to build upon. You will tone, gain some size, and some strength. After the 6 weeks, you up the poundages, decrease the reps to 5 to 8, and stay with these basic exercises.

If you'd like more info, I can hook you up. Feel free to email me or PM me.

Gary Catherman

Thanks

Nice information! What is a deadlift??
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

The king daddy of all power lifts. If 'ya want to get strong you do deadlifts.

Thanks

yes, but WHAT is it?? LOL
    Susan A. Spann

Thanks

This is about as comprehensive as you can get. Hopefully you'll like it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/casi4.htm

Thanks

It sounds pretty cool and gets a number of muscle areas. Its the only down side oto the gym...the machines only get so much of a muscle area and misses a few areas Id like to work on I found the best work out for those spots the machines missed was actually one of the workouts o the precor machine
    Susan A. Spann

Thanks

That's right, the machines only get so much of the muscle. Free weights are the way to go. I like doing dumbell rows laying flat against an incline bench with my arms dangling down. This way when I row; for 1. there is no extra body movement to row those 2. it specifically targets the upper back and outer lats. My partner hates them with a passion but it'll hit like no other.

Thanks

Im looking into alternates to the gym form when my membership expires. I doubt Ill be renewing it
    Susan A. Spann

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    yes, but WHAT is it?? LOL
    You do a fabulous technique on someone, kill them, then lift them up in triumph.

Right?

Im looking into alternates to the gym form when my membership expires. I doubt Ill be renewing it
    Check out getting some 3 or 4 lb. weights (start small) and do the high reps with your blocks and such. Cheap and easy. You can get some for your legs too for kicks, but that might be hard on your knees.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

Oh Im past 3 and 4 pounds llol

Actually I want to gain muscle, not just tone Im too scrawny i think
    Susan A. Spann

Thanks

I think you're fine the way you are. Why ruin a good thing.

Thanks

Aw thanks
    Susan A. Spann

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

OK, I've got some god info from you guys - thanks a lot! One thing - the only reason I haven't messed with free weights is because I don't have a partner. How advisable is it to work with free weights without a spotter?

Thanks,

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

Thanks

Oh Im past 3 and 4 pounds llol

Oh, you'll gain muscle! Serious muscle. It'll just be the compact kind so you don't look like you're trying to be manly.

Before you dismiss it, try it. When I first started with the 1lb. weights, I was sweatin' hard. By the time you finish 300 blocks and 100 punches, you'll be thinking that you're definitely gaining some muscle.

As I said, I'm up to the 4 lb. weights and I usually have to take a break between sets of 100.

As for the scrawniness comment, Jason's right. You look fab dahling, so don't worry about that. Gaining strength? Can't argue with that. Always a good thing -- especially for a woman.

I did a DJ gig last night and I had two people make unsolicited comments about how strong I am. Not braggin' -- just inordinantly pleased with myself. (Okay, maybe braggin' a little -- nobody ever used to say it until I started doing the blocks/punches with weights.)

--Amy

Thanks

Brag all you want babe - you derserve it.

I do have wrist weights and some 5 lbs weights, so Ill try those before going to work.

Thanks for everyone for sharig their tips
    Susan A. Spann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links