Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FDA rejects Green Tea health claims!

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default FDA rejects Green Tea health claims!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12718769/from/RSS/

I found this very interesting, especially with some of the benefits touted by natural food sources and shops.

What are your thoughts? Never having been a regular green tea drinker I really do not have too much of an experienced opinion.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Default Re: FDA rejects Green Tea health claims!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter

I found this very interesting, especially with some of the benefits touted by natural food sources and shops.

What are your thoughts? Never having been a regular green tea drinker I really do not have too much of an experienced opinion.
    The mind is a powerful thing. If you believe it sometimes it may happen.

We drink green tea like water around here, mostly for the ginseng and the taste. One thing I know does work is the ginseng if I drink it to late in the afternoon I am up all night. I don't drink coffee so green tea is my pick me up.

Love the stuff.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter

Most of the people touting benefits are making unsupportable claims. Even studies performed by "alternative" medicine proponents, even the ones done in China/Korea/etc., show little promise for herbal medicines. This recent FDA finding was actually based on reports that green tea manufacturers submitted to them. Even their own research is unable to show any legitimate health effects!

But, should any of this affect your tea-drinking habits? No, why should they? While drinking green tea won't prevent cancer or cardiovascular disease, it also won't worsen your health (unless you're drinking ungodly amounts and giving yourself the jitters or shakes due to caffeine). Many people, including myself, prefer the flavor of green tea to that of black tea.

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate
    The mind is a powerful thing. If you believe it sometimes it may happen.

We drink green tea like water around here, mostly for the ginseng and the taste. One thing I know does work is the ginseng if I drink it to late in the afternoon I am up all night. I don't drink coffee so green tea is my pick me up.
    The mind IS powerful, which is why the placebo effect is so profound. However, our understanding of the mind is not as powerful, which is why we tend to believe in things that haven't really proven their efficacy.

The ginseng probably isn't causing your inability to sleep. The caffeine present in tea is a much more powerful stimulant than ginseng; and the caffeine is present in larger amounts.

Cheers,
    MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MHeeler For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-16-2007)

Thanks

Possibly, however if I drink coffee that late in the day it does not have the same effect on me. Unless the tea has more caffeine than coffee?

It gives me what I want from it I don't drink it to "cure" anything.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Well, considering that the FDA approved Nutrasweet and Splenda, I take anything they say with a grain of salt.

I'll look into their "findings" later, see what I can find out, as I've been researching the health benefits of tea drinking.

As to caffeine:
    http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm
    http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm

Caffeine Content Comparisons
    The following is the
    approximate caffeine content
    of various beverages Milligrams of Caffeine
    Item Average
    per
    serving Range Per
    ounce*
    Coffee (5 oz. cup) 80 40 - 170 16.00
    Cola (12 oz. can) 45 30 - 60 3.75
    Black Tea (one tea bag) 40 25 - 110 5.00
    Oolong Tea (one tea bag) 30 12 - 55 3.75
    Green Tea (one tea bag) 20 8 - 30 2.50
    White Tea (one tea bag) 15 6 - 25 2.00
    Decaf Tea (one tea bag) 2 1 - 4 0.50
    Herbal Tea (one tea bag) 0 0 0.00
    *Assumes 8 ounces of water per tea bag
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-16-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default caffeine content

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate
    Possibly, however if I drink coffee that late in the day it does not have the same effect on me. Unless the tea has more caffeine than coffee?

It gives me what I want from it I don't drink it to "cure" anything.

Salute,
    No, coffee definitely has more caffeine on average than most teas. (See Mr. Hubbard's post for links to websites with more information.) However, ginseng may enhance or potentiate the effects of caffeine. So, if your tea contains ginseng, this may be the culprit. Ultimately, it's still probably best to avoid stimulants later in the day.

MH

Thanks

Default Re: caffeine content

Quote Originally Posted by MHeeler
    No, coffee definitely has more caffeine on average than most teas. (See Mr. Hubbard's post for links to websites with more information.) However, ginseng may enhance or potentiate the effects of caffeine. So, if your tea contains ginseng, this may be the culprit. Ultimately, it's still probably best to avoid stimulants later in the day.

MH
    Agreed.

Water is my first choice after class, I can't get enough of it.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
    Well, considering that the FDA approved Nutrasweet and Splenda, I take anything they say with a grain of salt.
    It's usually a good idea to take everything with a grain of salt, and add in a dash of your own critical thinking. I believe you already began a thread about artificial sweeteners, so I'll try to address your specific concerns there.

MH

Thanks

Default Re: caffeine content

Me, Tea, Ginseng, and Ginko have a long relationship.....sadly, I haven't been able to visit Mr. Ginko much lately as he and Mr. BloodPressure Pills don't get along. lol
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

>Well, considering that the FDA approved Nutrasweet and Splenda, I take anything >they say with a grain of salt.

Yep.
    A few years back there was an ad out about medical doctors, “Dead Doctors Can’t Lie!” which sold many copies of an alternative health book…

…until the MD’s sued and got an injunction stopping that advertisement. They stated it was an unfair representation of what they did for a living.

D. Pearson and Sandy Shaw has sued the FDA and won, several times, because THEY LIE (the FDA).

Even though the current book out, “More Secrets, What the Government Doesn’t Want You to Know” by K Trudeau is very controversial, I do LOVE it.

Why do I love it? Good question. Read it and find out for yourself. Then You’ll love it also;-)

You mean there is a conspiracy?

Naw, it can’t be totally true.

>I'll look into their "findings" later, see what I can find out, as I've been researching >the health benefits of tea drinking.

Yep.

The PROVEN BENEFITS of drinking certain types of green tea are there.

Here are some of those benefits:

1. Theanine is an amino acid found in the leaves of green tea, Camellia sinensis.

2. Theanine acts as a nonsedating relaxant to help increase the brain’s production of alpha waves.

3. It is extremely effective for combating tension, stress, and anxiety, without inducing drowsiness.

4. It has bee shown to provide benefits for improving learning performance and promoting concentration.

Here are some valid resources for green tea besides the FDA.

1. “Biosciences, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, Feb. 2000, 64.”
    2. “Nutrition, Sept. 2000”
    3. The Cortisol Connection” by Shawn Talbott, Ph.D.

©Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Ps. I love people who actually RESEARCH what they want to know about, so they REALLY do learn more about what they want to learn more about. None of that "follow the leader" brain sludge;-)

Thanks

So thats green tea, what does everyone think about white tea?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Well Im not up on the health reasons, but I do adore the TASTE of white tea
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

White tea is supposed to have more antioxidants,, less caffeine.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Just don't drink the yellow tea that Rob's been serving. Something about it scares me.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

I switched to green tea and green oolong a couple of years ago to help me cut down on my coffee habit. One of the claims is that it can drop your cholesterol up to 16%. From my personal nonempirical experience, it most definitely is true.

I've liked some of the white teas I've had but they're a little too light for me. Something about yellow tea just doesn't seem right...

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    United States based; travel internationally.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    So thats green tea, what does everyone think about white tea?
    The problem is that is doesn't taste good like black coffee. I still need my Starbucks fix, usually about 4 big cups out of my coffeemaker over the course of the morning. No question tea may be healthier, green or white, but drinking it isn't enjoyable. To me anyway.

I'm thinking of trying some iced high-quality tea over the summer months to introduce some tea into my diet.
    Still sweating, still training. Enlightenment is hard work! TANSTAAFL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenposearcher View Post
    The problem is that is doesn't taste good like black coffee. I still need my Starbucks fix, usually about 4 big cups out of my coffeemaker over the course of the morning. No question tea may be healthier, green or white, but drinking it isn't enjoyable. To me anyway.

I'm thinking of trying some iced high-quality tea over the summer months to introduce some tea into my diet.
    LOL that is great. But ice tea will still have caffiene in it unless you get decaf. Right now your best healthy bet would be decaf white tea, if that is out there. Hmmmmm a little bit of homework over the break to do I guess.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    LOL that is great. But ice tea will still have caffiene in it unless you get decaf. Right now your best healthy bet would be decaf white tea, if that is out there. Hmmmmm a little bit of homework over the break to do I guess.
    Most of the caffeine is extracted in the first 20 seconds of the steeping time. If you dump the water after 20 seconds and start with fresh, you're pretty much drinking decaf tea.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

I got hooked on Green Tea in the late 80s. Long story but when I was a college frosh I had a chance to live with a Japanese family that was staying in the U.S. for a few years for business reasons. It was then that I heard about some of the benefits of green tea.

After seeing the rise of the popularity in the U.S., I'm left with some questions.

One is the quality. The Japanese are very selective about the quality of their tea. The quality that is preferred can certainly be found here in Asian groceries and online shops. However, it isn't the same kind that goes in to mass production by companies like Lipton and Arizona.

The other is the preparation. In Japan it is considered to be highly insulting to add anything to green tea such as sweeteners or creamers. In the U.S., one has to look rather hard to find Green Tea that hasn't been sugared up by one thing or another. It strikes me that the benefits of tea would be canceled out by the empty, simple carbs that are present in sweetening agents.

While I don't believe that green tea is a magic cure-all (as the photo caption suggests) I'd wager that plain unsweetened green tea (or white tea) is better for you than coffee with cream, sodas, or any other sweetened drink.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

jdinca (03-21-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    I got hooked on Green Tea in the late 80s. Long story but when I was a college frosh I had a chance to live with a Japanese family that was staying in the U.S. for a few years for business reasons. It was then that I heard about some of the benefits of green tea.

After seeing the rise of the popularity in the U.S., I'm left with some questions.

One is the quality. The Japanese are very selective about the quality of their tea. The quality that is preferred can certainly be found here in Asian groceries and online shops. However, it isn't the same kind that goes in to mass production by companies like Lipton and Arizona.

The other is the preparation. In Japan it is considered to be highly insulting to add anything to green tea such as sweeteners or creamers. In the U.S., one has to look rather hard to find Green Tea that hasn't been sugared up by one thing or another. It strikes me that the benefits of tea would be canceled out by the empty, simple carbs that are present in sweetening agents.

While I don't believe that green tea is a magic cure-all (as the photo caption suggests) I'd wager that plain unsweetened green tea (or white tea) is better for you than coffee with cream, sodas, or any other sweetened drink.
    I associate the vast majority of tea available on the market with canned coffee. Just ain't gonna go into my body. My house tea is an oolong that has been fired and fermented so it's just on the green side of the oolong spectrum. I pay $40 for 1/2 a pound and it usually lasts me 3-4 months. That's compared to 4 pounds of beans that costs me the same amount and lasts about two months.

This is the online shop I use. I've also been to their tea house.

www.imperialtea.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links