Thread: pain in the side..

Thanks

Default pain in the side..

i know what it is... im almost positive its to much sugar/corn syrup because my left side, right directly across from my navel... so im guessing my pancreas? whenever i jog, or do jumping jacks it hurts.. so warming up before class sucks more than bodying for ppl with lacking control..

i know, obviously dont drink so much, if any soda.. lol well to me, thats like quitting cigarettes for someone.. drink lots of water, blah blah.. i hate water.. the closest thing to plain water i can drink is Fruit 2O (yes i know it has splenda.. but id rather have a little splenda, then God knows how much sugar I put in iced Tea)

for a while i was drinking alot of Organic Applejuice.. just filtered water, and organic apples listed as ingredients. cant get much better than that. but its like $3 a bottle. lol and gives me gas.. im guessing i should try cranberry juice for helping get any of that junk out of my kidneys.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: pain in the side..

Quote Originally Posted by madeku
    i know what it is... im almost positive its to much sugar/corn syrup because my left side, right directly across from my navel... so im guessing my pancreas? whenever i jog, or do jumping jacks it hurts.. so warming up before class sucks more than bodying for ppl with lacking control..
    Pancreatic pain manifests centrally, just below the sternum (with occasional radiation to the back), NOT along the left side. Left side pain may be due to problems with the spleen, colon, or ovaries (for women, obviously). Visceral pain, pain originating in the organs, usually does NOT change with movement. Your pain may be due to muscular/skeletal injury.

Of course, if your pain is severe enough to prevent you from engaging in your normal activity (and/or it has been present for some time), I'd recommend that you see your physician. Good luck!!

To your health,
    MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

MHeeler,

I remember getting a pain in my side at times as a youngster when I started to run or swim. I always called this a "cramp". Was this truly a cramp? My kids sometimes complain about this as well. I believe it is common, but what is actually cramping?

Bob

Thanks

yeah its more like a cramp, usually on my left side.. when i exert myself like running or jumping jacks or whatnot. its not bad enough to force me to do any activity.. its just a major annoiance.. like i said prolly to much soda..

i remember i went on a whole/organic foods kick late last year.. my physical endurance went way up (for me anyways).. and it took ALOT longer for my side(s) to hurt. but iv run into some financial difficulties earlier these past couple months so the whole/organic thing isnt as easy as it was.

Thanks

If you're not hydrating before and during a workout, you're making yourself prone to cramping.
    It is a good practice to stretch your muscles before working out as well.......concentrate on the areas that give you problems.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default "Runner's cramp" or "Side stitch"

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoCooper
    MHeeler,

I remember getting a pain in my side at times as a youngster when I started to run or swim. I always called this a "cramp". Was this truly a cramp? My kids sometimes complain about this as well. I believe it is common, but what is actually cramping?

Bob
    I've usually heard this referred to as a "runner's cramp," but also coloquially as a "side stitch." I don't know if there's a definitive explanation of this phenomenon, but here's a website with a decent discussion of the topic: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/i.../aa053100a.htm. According to this site, the pain is caused by stretching of diaphragmatic ligaments due to exertion/repetitive motion, which I'd say is likely. I'm not so sure about the right side vs. left side stuff; that sounds like speculation. But, the site also discusses ways to alleviate or prevent the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by madeku
    yeah its more like a cramp, usually on my left side.. when i exert myself like running or jumping jacks or whatnot. its not bad enough to force me to do any activity.. its just a major annoiance.. like i said prolly to much soda..
    See the website linked above for an explanation and ways to avoid this. On the whole, I seriously doubt that your soda addiction has anything to do with the cramps. And follow Blackcatbonz's good advice:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    If you're not hydrating before and during a workout, you're making yourself prone to cramping.
    It is a good practice to stretch your muscles before working out as well.......concentrate on the areas that give you problems.
    Thanks,
    MH

UPDATE: Here's a Wikipedia article about the side stitch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

When I used to run fanatically I used to get a "stich" in my side on occasion, would some of you science guys say something lke this is close? What causes a guy to get a stich while running?
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Stitch explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    When I used to run fanatically I used to get a "stich" in my side on occasion, would some of you science guys say something lke this is close? What causes a guy to get a stich while running?
    Not just close, but exact! Both of the websites I linked above have decent explanations, but here's a quick summary:

Our organs are held in place by ligaments attaching them to each other and the abdominal walls. The diaphragm is attached to the abdominal wall at its periphery (at its most inferior/lowest point); it is also partially attached to the liver, stomach, small and large intestines, spleen, etc. Some of these connections are direct, and some of them are connected by peritoneum (connective tissue which lines and connects organs in the abdomen). When running, the organs move vertically within the abdominal cavity, in time with each stride. As one foot hits the ground, inertia causes the organs to move downward, pulling on the ligaments and peritoneum, especially the ones connected to the diaphragm. Over time, this pulling/stretching can cause irritation and pain. According to some authorities, exhaling when the right foot hits the ground can cause right sided pain and vice versa. Apparently, the combined downward motion of the liver added to the upward motion of the diaphragm stretches the right side ligaments further. The same would be true on the left side, with the motion being attributed to the spleen, intestines, and stomach. I don't know how accurate this theory is, but it sounds logical.

Like I said, both websites have more detailed explanations as well as methods to relieve/prevent this phenomenon.

Hope this helps,
    MH

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Exactly what I was going to say. That and make sure you're breathing properly. That can make a world of difference.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

This is a question for MH; do you think the amount of visceral adipose tissue would have a bearing on whether people would be more prone to getting cramps?
    If there is an excess, it would seem that the organs might not be as "tightly" packed in the abdomen and have more freedom to move around compared to a long distance runner that would have very little and probably a better conditioned abdominal wall.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Visceral adipose

This is a question for MH; do you think the amount of visceral adipose tissue would have a bearing on whether people would be more prone to getting cramps?
    If there is an excess, it would seem that the organs might not be as "tightly" packed in the abdomen and have more freedom to move around compared to a long distance runner that would have very little and probably a better conditioned abdominal wall.
    Excellent question!

Unfortunately, I don't have as excellent an answer. At best, I'd say your idea is possible. I'd say the most important factor is the strength of the abdominal wall. The presence of increased visceral adipose tissue does not inherently denote a weaker abdominal wall. In fact, one of my earliest instructors had quite a rotund belly, but his abdominal muscles were clearly visible and rock-hard. I've bruised enough knuckles on his abdomen to attest to that. However, it is more common for people with more visceral adipose to possess weaker abdominal muscles. In these people, I'd say that their adipose is adding to the problem. Of course, this is just mere speculation. I don't know that anything like this has ever been studied.

How's that for a non-answer?

Thanks, MH

Thanks

Default Re: Visceral adipose

Quote Originally Posted by MHeeler
    Excellent question!

Unfortunately, I don't have as excellent an answer. At best, I'd say your idea is possible. I'd say the most important factor is the strength of the abdominal wall. The presence of increased visceral adipose tissue does not inherently denote a weaker abdominal wall. In fact, one of my earliest instructors had quite a rotund belly, but his abdominal muscles were clearly visible and rock-hard. I've bruised enough knuckles on his abdomen to attest to that. However, it is more common for people with more visceral adipose to possess weaker abdominal muscles. In these people, I'd say that their adipose is adding to the problem. Of course, this is just mere speculation. I don't know that anything like this has ever been studied.

How's that for a non-answer?

Thanks, MH
    I'll take it!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

My Vote: It's a tumor, and must be removed immediately with a dull, rusty spoon.

Campaigning against world over-population,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

haha nice.. gotcha folks

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Tumor resection

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house
    My Vote: It's a tumor, and must be removed immediately with a dull, rusty spoon.

Campaigning against world over-population,

Dave
    Don't forget the surgical utility of a spork!!

I think the annual Darwin award recipients are doing more than their part to control over-population (and keeping the our gene pool minty fresh). Let's give them all a big hand!

MH

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links