Visit Our Sponsors

Annual Bob and Barbara White Invitational on Saturday March 23, 2014Hubbard Photography presents Martial Arts Photography Worry Free Managed Wordpress Hosting by SilverStar WebDesigns Inc. Click for more details!

Thread: John McSweeney "DVR" Tiger Moves....(Isometrics)

Hunter is offline Martial Empiricist
    Thanks

Default John McSweeney "DVR" Tiger Moves....(Isometrics)

I recently bought a book by a guy names John E. Peterson, a big advocate of bodywieght exercises. In his book a big part of it was "Dynamic Visualized Resistence" and 7 "Tiger Moves" he said were developed by John McSweeney (Ed Parker Black Belt).
    I dug up my copy of "BattleAxe" and sure enough there was a good portion of the book dedicated to Dynamic Visualized Resistence and it's benefits to John McSweeney.
    I know the value of bodywieght exercises, I was in the best shape of my life in the army doing nothing but bodywieght. What is everyones opinions on "DVR" and tension exercises? I do not know if I could give up slinging some lead and iron and dedicating good workout time to Visualized resistence. Isometrics ever worked for you??

John Petersons book:
    http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com/s...&products_id=5
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Default Re: John McSweeney "DVR" Tiger Moves....(Isometrics)

I think that free weights have their place........if that's the kind of workout you are after.
    I have met guys out there that workout with weights that couldnt do 20 or 30 chin ups......heck, I dont know if I can do 20 or 30 chin ups at the moment or hold myself eye level with a bar for more than a minute.
    I stopped lifting weights about 6 years ago simply because the goals I wanted to acheive couldnt be done with those exercises.
    I lift plenty of weight at my day job as a pipefitter and get plenty of reps pulling on wrenches and carrying pipe up ladders.

In the end it depends on what you want to do......be able to move your own body around like lightning or lift 350lbs.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

John McSweeney's "Tiger Moves" are evolved from a system of exercise that dates back 5,000 thousand years in Yoga. About 1,500 years ago a yoga monk named Bodhidharma traveled to China where he found a group of monks that had seriously weakened themselves by practicing passive only meditation. Bodhidharma taught the monks DVR exercise which they adapted to the martial arts. Those exercises were instrumental in transforming those passive monks into the legendary Shaolin Warriors that they became.
    Transformetrics is a training system developed by John E. Peterson that includes the "Tiger Moves" of his late friend John Mc Sweeney. The overall Transformetrics system has itself evolved from the "Conscious Evolution" mind and body training course that was promoted by Alois P. Swoboda in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The strength and body building principles of "Conscious Evolution" were taken from yoga and the martial arts and were demystified and westernized. They develop internal strength that been called by different names in different cultures such as - Chi, Ki, Prana, and Nerve Force. Swoboda counted among his students some of most influential and prominent people of his day. They included US Presidents Woodrow Wilson and Theodore Roosevelt, two US Supreme Court Justices including Charles Evans Hughes, Ziegfeld Follies Star Anna Held, actress Maxine Elliott , composer Oscar Strauss, the worlds most famous magician and escape artist of that era Harry Houdin, as well as many physicians and people from all walks of life. Charles Atlas was one of Swoboda's most famous students. Atlas said, "Everything that I know I learned from A.P. Swoboda."

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...da/swoboda.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 966 Posts

Thanks for spamming KT, Gordon.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

"This whole thing is about balance and timing." -- Damon Excell

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, donít do it at all. (Dan Gableís coaching philosophy)

Thanks

I agree that it would depend on the needs of the individual, as well personal preference. My current routine is mostly body weight and isometrics. I use a curl bar/dumb bells/olympic bar for squats etc to supplement what makes me feel good and well rounded. I also use "traditional methods" gripping jars, chi shi and since grip strength is a aim of mine, simply using plates for pinching etc.

Specifically with isometric or dynamic tension exercises as i understand them/been taught/have discovered on my own...they develop "tendon strength". Tendon strength is what gives you the ability to move a body from point A to point B, also adds "zing!" and "snap" in your technique ...again IMO. Its really good for any art that uses "trapping hands" or "checking/monitoring" and overall push and pull.

Traditionally i learned it through Sanchin kata, which i can say has its fair share of debate concerning if it is actually bad for your health (heart) or not. I can say as for myself, it has been an invaluable tool. It IMO develops the ability to flex certain arears of the body while maintaining relaxation in others as you move throughout combat. im fairly tall, so i feel much more secure holding a fixed amount of tension in my torso while "in-fighting",... while maintaining enough relaxation to still be able to flow, but remain a little more protected in my longer torso area.

I think isometrics adds a ton to mental training and body control. i once heard it said that if you look at a bench press and say you were doing 10 reps, its the last two or three that your arms are really shaking and feeling the dramatic effects, isometrics and body tension exercises/kata...pick up and start at the 10 mark...immediatley under the maximum tension. The most important thing i feel, is to make sure you educate yourself from a medical prospective about the risk that can come along with this style of training, and never constrict the breath. Learning to tense the body in selected areas or overall for a short period of time i feel has obvious advantages to combat and strength, but if you cant remain calm and breath fluidly and still move with speed and precision, i think we missed the boat.

One more thought about bodyweight, i feel that we as people tend to want fast results, and weights offer a jump start on size and strength,, but at what cost ? I think that until you can control your body, to say the likings of a strong yogi, or a gymnaist type, then you havent reached the full natural potential of your body, and therefore adding artificial weight to your frame that it is unprepared to support is in the long haul counterproductive and simply cosmetic...not functional for what we do. Lastly, not matter how big you as a person get, the organs stay the same size for the most part, so im not sure that forcing size on our skeletal and internal systems we were never meant or designed to accomidate is long term intelligence. Balance in everything right ? Maybe first master ourselves, then see what toys the world has to offer
    "Mighty power like steel is our Kata and heritage which require a long time of practice and training. It is what men are seeking, just only for their self-respect and self-defense."
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Tiger Moves can take you from beginner to most advanced depending on the extent to which you have developed your mental focus and the amount of tension that you apply.

Sponsors