Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Carbohydrates

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Carbohydrates

    When ever I say Carbs I mean Carbohydrates, its just nutritionist short hand

    Lets talk about Carbs. What are peoples beliefs on them? Are they good or bad? And other answers than too much of anything is bad for you.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hoth
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 81 Times in 71 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    Bob is quite upset about my cars intake...always complains about how my diet is 3/4 pasta
    Susan A. Spann

    Something Here Coming Soon

    Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    Bob is quite upset about my cars intake...always complains about how my diet is 3/4 pasta
    Yikes, that is alot of pasta. One things about nutrition is that you need a variety of foods.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hoth
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 81 Times in 71 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    I don't think its really THAT high, but I do love my pasta...I must have been Italian in a past life!
    Susan A. Spann

    Something Here Coming Soon

    Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cobourg ON
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    It's all about balance and understanding what is good for your body.
    That amount of pasta isn't good for anyone in my book

  6. #6
    gimpat01's Avatar
    gimpat01 is offline
    KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    795
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    I'm one of the "everything in moderation" folks. You have to have some for proper nutrition and to make your body work. Too many and your body will store it in less that savory places. I think there are good carbs and bad carbs as well. I'll expand more when I can locate my sources...
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"


    (*this is where a punch would be landed)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    Quote Originally Posted by gimpat01
    I'm one of the "everything in moderation" folks. You have to have some for proper nutrition and to make your body work. Too many and your body will store it in less that savory places. I think there are good carbs and bad carbs as well. I'll expand more when I can locate my sources...
    Here let me help you out some, look for simple and complex carbohydrates.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    Complex carbohydrate? Is that like Mr. Potato Head?

    Seriously, I'm a carb-eating fool. I love pasta and bread...mmmm biscuits. LOL. But I burn them too with morning and afternoon workouts. I also eat lots and lots of protein. I'm a chicken eating fool too! I could probably live off of chicken biscuits and p-nut butter sandwiches. LOL.

    As I understand it, and I'm by no means a nutritionalist, Carbs are only bad if you don't use them. They are necessary fuel for your Bod-eh. If not used they then turn to sugar and are stored as fat. I think....it's been a while since I took Biology.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    THis is very true, carbs in the body are used for energy. Once this amount is used up the body uses protien in your body and that is when you really get sick.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  10. #10
    lenatoi's Avatar
    lenatoi is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 37 Times in 18 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    I think you use lipids before you use protein. Also, lipids have 9k-cals per gram, where Carbs and protein have 4.

    Anyway, I'm a carbohydrate fan. No one should completely restrict them from their diet. AND, if anyone is considering the Atkins diet, read the whole book before you start. It's not just about dropping carbs. You HAVE to supliment.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    Quote Originally Posted by lenatoi
    I think you use lipids before you use protein. Also, lipids have 9k-cals per gram, where Carbs and protein have 4.
    Wow you got me there. It said it in my nutrtion 171 book. Huh, good call.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  12. #12
    jfarnsworth's Avatar
    jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, Ohio
    Posts
    1,583
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 393 Times in 265 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    I eat what I want when I want to eat it. I can't eat enough food to gain any type of weight let alone muscle mass. Lifting, biking, and kenpoing takes a lot out of me. Unforunately for me I don't make enough monies to support my eating for my lifestyle.

  13. #13
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline
    KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita KS
    Posts
    709
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 183 Times in 112 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    One major problem I see with low carbs is sustainability... I can personally attest to the wieght loss as a benefit to a low carb diet. The problems I personally see with the diet or that type of lifestyle.....

    1. Practicality, it takes a tremendous amount of planning to maintain a low carb diet if you work full time, train, have kids, etc.

    2. ENERGY, without supplimentation you can suffer severe "drains"

    3. Restless sleep...okay you have no energy during the day but come bed time BAM you can not sleep.

    4. Birthdays..holidays...parties...celebrations..etc. etc. etc. etc.

    This is my own personal list. I have seen some articles, forum post, etc. backing up some of the same issues I had. I personally lost 72 lbs in a year maintaining a low carb diet. I have kept 60 of those lbs off 2 years later by keeping out sugars and white flour.
    www.hunterskarate.com

    "I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

    - From the Lone Ranger's Creed




  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    3. Restless sleep...okay you have no energy during the day but come bed time BAM you can not sleep.
    Hey David,

    I know you are a nutritionist.

    Why does low-carb diets lead to restless sleep?
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Hey David,

    I know you are a nutritionist.

    Why does low-carb diets lead to restless sleep?
    Complications such as heart arrhythmias, cardiac contractile function impairment, sudden death, osteoporosis, kidney damage, increased cancer risk, impairment of physical activity, lipid [cholesterol] abnormalities, and ketosis can all be linked to long-term restriction of carbohydrates in the diet

    Ketosis occurs when you have so much acetone in your blood that it noticeably spills out into your lungs, or so many other ketones that they spill out into your urine.ketosis include general tiredness, abrupt or gradually increasing weakness, dizziness, headaches, confusion, abdominalpain, irritability, nausea and vomiting, sleep problems and bad breath

    Hope that helps
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  16. #16
    MHeeler's Avatar
    MHeeler is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Metabolic pathways

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Hey David,

    I know you are a nutritionist.

    Why does low-carb diets lead to restless sleep?
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Ketosis occurs when you have so much acetone in your blood that it noticeably spills out into your lungs, or so many other ketones that they spill out into your urine.ketosis include general tiredness, abrupt or gradually increasing weakness, dizziness, headaches, confusion, abdominalpain, irritability, nausea and vomiting, sleep problems and bad breath

    Hope that helps
    Ketosis is actually the result or effect, not the cause. Carbohydrate restriction, leading to hypoglycemia, results in the release of specific hormones: glucagon, cortisol, and adrenaline. Together, these are often called "stress hormones." These hormones trigger the body to activate certain functions, such as glycogenolysis, the breakdown of stored glycogen (in the liver) into glucose, which is then released into the bloodstream. Gluconeogenesis, the generation of glucose (also in the liver) from smaller organic compounds (from adipose/fat or muscle tissue), gets triggered once glycogen stores are depleted. Also, lipolysis, the breakdown of fat/adipose tissue into smaller lipids, is necessary to generate the compounds which will be used in gluconeogenesis. When lipids are metabolized, they release ketones as a byproduct, i.e. causing ketosis. It is this lipolysis-gluconeogenesis pathway that causes the fat/weight loss from diets that restrict carbohydrate intake. (Increased protein intake is often recommended in order to offset any muscle breakdown that may occur due to the hormonal shift.)

    Glucagon is the opposite of insulin, and they regulate/modulate each other. Once blood sugar levels are brought back up to "normal" levels, glucagon release will decrease back to normal as well. However, cortisol and adrenaline have significant side effects. In addition to causing glycogenolysis, cortisol increases blood pressure, lowers bone formation, and inhibits the immune system. We exploit this last effect when prescribing cortisol-like steroids to fight allergies and asthma. Adrenaline, similar to cortisol, increases glycogenolysis; but it also increases blood pressure, increases heart rate, and increases cardiac stroke volume, dilates the pupils, shunts blood away from the skin to large muscles, and suppresses the immune system. Adrenaline also has neurological effects: anxiety, tremor, and headaches. Any sleep disturbance from carbohydrate-restriction is probably due to the neurological effects of adrenaline.

    Hope this helps.

    MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Metabolic pathways

    Quote Originally Posted by MHeeler
    Ketosis is actually the result or effect, not the cause. Carbohydrate restriction, leading to hypoglycemia, results in the release of specific hormones: glucagon, cortisol, and adrenaline. Together, these are often called "stress hormones." These hormones trigger the body to activate certain functions, such as glycogenolysis, the breakdown of stored glycogen (in the liver) into glucose, which is then released into the bloodstream. Gluconeogenesis, the generation of glucose (also in the liver) from smaller organic compounds (from adipose/fat or muscle tissue), gets triggered once glycogen stores are depleted. Also, lipolysis, the breakdown of fat/adipose tissue into smaller lipids, is necessary to generate the compounds which will be used in gluconeogenesis. When lipids are metabolized, they release ketones as a byproduct, i.e. causing ketosis. It is this lipolysis-gluconeogenesis pathway that causes the fat/weight loss from diets that restrict carbohydrate intake. (Increased protein intake is often recommended in order to offset any muscle breakdown that may occur due to the hormonal shift.)

    Glucagon is the opposite of insulin, and they regulate/modulate each other. Once blood sugar levels are brought back up to "normal" levels, glucagon release will decrease back to normal as well. However, cortisol and adrenaline have significant side effects. In addition to causing glycogenolysis, cortisol increases blood pressure, lowers bone formation, and inhibits the immune system. We exploit this last effect when prescribing cortisol-like steroids to fight allergies and asthma. Adrenaline, similar to cortisol, increases glycogenolysis; but it also increases blood pressure, increases heart rate, and increases cardiac stroke volume, dilates the pupils, shunts blood away from the skin to large muscles, and suppresses the immune system. Adrenaline also has neurological effects: anxiety, tremor, and headaches. Any sleep disturbance from carbohydrate-restriction is probably due to the neurological effects of adrenaline.

    Hope this helps.

    MH
    See this is why I am only a nutritionist major, I still dont know everything yet, lol, than MHeeler
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  18. #18
    MHeeler's Avatar
    MHeeler is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: Metabolic pathways

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    See this is why I am only a nutritionist major, I still dont know everything yet, lol, than MHeeler
    I am mildly susceptible to flattery, but you are far too kind. Honestly, this is about all the metabolic biochemistry that I could remember. Biochem was always one of my weaker subjects. The real smart guys could talk your ear off about hormone-receptor interactions and second messenger cascades. That's why I keep my reference books close by. If anyone has further questions, I'll dust them off.

    Thanks,
    MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

  19. #19
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline
    KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita KS
    Posts
    709
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 183 Times in 112 Posts

    Default Re: Carbohydrates

    ::bows repeatedly:: we're not worthy! we're not worthy!

    hahaha
    www.hunterskarate.com

    "I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

    - From the Lone Ranger's Creed




  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Metabolic pathways

    Quote Originally Posted by MHeeler
    I am mildly susceptible to flattery, but you are far too kind. Honestly, this is about all the metabolic biochemistry that I could remember. Biochem was always one of my weaker subjects. The real smart guys could talk your ear off about hormone-receptor interactions and second messenger cascades. That's why I keep my reference books close by. If anyone has further questions, I'll dust them off.

    Thanks,
    MH
    A ha see I am not taking biochem until next semester.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)