Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think that sweetener is safe? Think again.

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Default Think that sweetener is safe? Think again.

Hmm...artificial and "modified" sweeteners cause serious issues....

Nutrasweet (aspartame and neotame) burns holes in your brain.

Splenda (Sucralose) contains chlorine, a known toxin.
    http://www.splendaexposed.com/
    http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm
    http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritio...ss/splenda.asp

So what is left?

Saccharin.
    Wait, doesn't that cause cancer?
    Hmm, guess not really. From here:
    "Remember those carcinogen warnings on the side of products that contained saccharin? They no longer appear because industry testing showed that saccharin only caused bladder cancer in rats. Most researchers agree that in sufficient doses, saccharin is carcinogenic in humans. The question is, how do you know how much your individual body can tolerate?"

Cyclamate (which I've never heard of)

Then theres Sorbitol, popular in diabetic candy
    "For many years, diabetics have used products sweetened with polyalcohol sugars like sorbitol, xylitol, malitol, and mannitol. These are natural sweeteners that do not trigger an insulin reaction. (Xylitol comes from birch tree pulp.) They have half the calories of sugar and are not digested by the small intestine. While most polyalcohol sugars have no side effects, sorbitol is a laxative and can cause diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, bloating and flatulence."

and Stevia, which is a South America herb.
    http://www.stevia.net/
    Stevia seems to be the current favored sweetener of the health conscious crowd.

Resources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Default Re: Think that sweetener is safe? Think again.

Some more evidence against Splenda..

http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/
    http://www.wnho.net/splenda.htm
    http://www.wnho.net/splenda_chlorocarbon.htm
    http://suewidemark.com/splenda.htm
    http://www.foodanddiet.com/NewFiles/...-story149.html

I find all this rather, annoying. I've been using Splenda heavily for the last 6 months. I've got about half a 9.7oz bag left.

I've ceased all use of it for the moment, and am phasing in Stevia. So far, it's taste seems similar, and after 3 days no ill effects. (I bought a box of 50 packets, and use 3 a day average in green tea)
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

So I have to ask, whats wrong with sugar?

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

45 cals per teaspoon.

When you drink as much iced tea as I do....thats alot of cals. (1 gal a day in the summer)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
    45 cals per teaspoon.

When you drink as much iced tea as I do....thats alot of cals. (1 gal a day in the summer)
    Use it as an excuse to go train.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

45 calories is about 3 teaspoons of sugar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Use it as an excuse to go train.
    If I trained enough to work off all those cals......I'd be a 20th degree by Christmas. LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    45 calories is about 3 teaspoons of sugar.
    ok, I stand corrected. I might have been thinking tablespoons, lol.

Thanks

Sugar and Obesity
    Many people beleve that sugar is fattenining and can cause obesity. Sugar is a carbohydrate and all carbohydrates provide 4 kilocalories per gram of sugar. High fat-not sugar- intakes are associated with a greater risk of obesity. Fat is a more concentrated source of energy, and provides 9 kilocalories per gram. However, many foods high in sugar such as doughnuts and cookies are also high in fat. Excess energy intake can from any source will cause obesity, but sugar by itsself is no more likely to cause obesity than starch or protein. The increased availability of low-fat and fat-free foods has not reduced obesity rates in the U.S. Some speculate that consumers equate fat-free with calorie-free, and eat more of these foods, not realizinf that fat-free foods often have higher sugar content, which makes any calorie savings negligible.

Sugar and Hear Disease
    Risk factors for heart disease include genetic predisposition, smoking, high blood pressure, high blood cholestrol levels, diabetes, and obesity. Sugar by itsself does not cause heart disease. However, if intake of high sugar foods contributes to obesity, then risk for heart disease increases. In addition excessive intake of refined sugar can alter blood lipids in carbohydrate-sensitive people, increasing their risk for heart disease. However, a high fat intake is more likely to promote obesity than a high sugar intake.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I won't touch the stuff. I barely use any sugar.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Well I can personally attest to the benefits of cutting the sugar out of your diet. Do not make me post before and after pics lol But seriously a lot of wieght melted off of me when I cut high glysemic foods and sugars.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Hunter,
    How long did it take you to see results? Weeks, months, immediatley? My weight lifting partner has a hard time with losing weight and has almost given up but I keep telling him to press forward. I was hoping to give him an example of someone and how they went about losing weight. Any of your experience would be appreciated.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

It was at least a month before I noticed anything significant. One thing with a guy lifting wieghts that I would advice is to NOT watch the scale. I was too guilty of beating myself up over the scale at some points I would wiegh exactly the same and loose an inch or two off of my waste.
    Other people started to say something after about 3 months.
    This here was about after 3.5 months, I was just happy the gut was going away even though I was only down about 24 lbs.
    www.hunterskarate.com

Thanks

I am very proud of you that you have lost your weight but official US Dietary Guidelines advise a maximum of 40g refined sugar for every 2000 calories consumed. This equates to 8 percent of calories. So you do need some sugar.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Those of you that have met me know that my shoulder span is almost as broad as my height. In the past two years, I have gained a lot of weight courtesy fast food and stress. My Dr told me to flat out stay off the scale and pay more attention to my pant size. We moved into the house about a month ago, which means I am not eating at McDonalds or some such every weekend or ordering takeout at the end of the build day. On top of which, now that we have a functioning kitchen, I am eating home cooked meals at night. Without any concentrated effort on my part, other than avoiding Krispy Kreme like the plague, the weight is coming off, albeit slowly, and the BP has dropped back to normal. The thing about sweeteners is this, moderation in everything, nothing to excess. That will do more for people than anything else.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    Those of you that have met me know that my shoulder span is almost as broad as my height. In the past two years, I have gained a lot of weight courtesy fast food and stress. My Dr told me to flat out stay off the scale and pay more attention to my pant size. We moved into the house about a month ago, which means I am not eating at McDonalds or some such every weekend or ordering takeout at the end of the build day. On top of which, now that we have a functioning kitchen, I am eating home cooked meals at night. Without any concentrated effort on my part, other than avoiding Krispy Kreme like the plague, the weight is coming off, albeit slowly, and the BP has dropped back to normal. The thing about sweeteners is this, moderation in everything, nothing to excess. That will do more for people than anything else.
    First of all congrats on the weight loss and hopefully you are maintaining it. Second of all everybody that have posted so far thinks its all about moderation. Does anyone what the other two things are?

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    First of all congrats on the weight loss and hopefully you are maintaining it. Second of all everybody that have posted so far thinks its all about moderation. Does anyone what the other two things are?
    Scientifically?

Probably Hydration (Water) and Exercise.

In reality? Consitency and consistency lol Finding a plan that works for you and sticking to it!
    www.hunterskarate.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I am very proud of you that you have lost your weight but official US Dietary Guidelines advise a maximum of 40g refined sugar for every 2000 calories consumed. This equates to 8 percent of calories. So you do need some sugar.
    In reality 40g of sugar is not that much in a day and can be done on a low carb lifestyle. Most "induction" programs last 2 weeks at 20g total carbs a day. When you move into a maintaining phase 50-60g might work for most you could easily get 40g a day of naturally occuring sugars in some foods milk included.
    www.hunterskarate.com

Thanks

I agree with you, I am just trying to say that you can not cut sugars out totally, especially when there are natural sugars in things like fruit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Scientifically?

Probably Hydration (Water) and Exercise.

In reality? Consitency and consistency lol Finding a plan that works for you and sticking to it!
    There are three major patrs to nutrition:
    1. Eating a variety of food to get all nutrients and minerals
    2. EXCERSIZE
    3. Eat in moderations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links