Thread: Weight Training for martial arts

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Weight Training for martial arts

I am just starting in Kenpo and I need to get in shape. I know the classes, heavy bag work, weight lifting is good for weight loss. 5'9" and 280lbs. My goals is 180lbs. Up to this point I was lifting to put bulk and strength on. I was wondering for Kenpo, should I be lifting lighter weights more reps to lean out or stay with the heavier weights. My movement and flexibility would speed of a sloth and flexibility of a Rhino. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 672 Posts

Default Re: Weight Training for martial arts

Hi and welcome.

My suggestion is to train appropriately. This means a balanced exercise regimen of strength training, endurance training and flexibility training.

If you have been lifting for bulk, you may not accomplish anything by moving to lighter weights and more reps. I might suggest going to 'maintenance mode' on your strength training. Cut your lifting to twice a week. Stop the overloading; by either weight or rep count. Do 3 sets of 10 - 12 at 65% to 75% of your one rep max.

Then, work on your endurance / cardio. Run or bike or aerobics to 80% of your heart rate max, three times a week for 30 minutes each time.

Then start monitoring your calorie intake. Balance your diet appropriately. You're probably looking at 1800 - 2000 calorie a day diet to drop 1 pound a week.

And, if you can get in three days of Kenpo training a week, you'll be doing great.

Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhajzus View Post
    I am just starting in Kenpo and I need to get in shape. I know the classes, heavy bag work, weight lifting is good for weight loss. 5'9" and 280lbs. My goals is 180lbs. Up to this point I was lifting to put bulk and strength on. I was wondering for Kenpo, should I be lifting lighter weights more reps to lean out or stay with the heavier weights. My movement and flexibility would speed of a sloth and flexibility of a Rhino. Any suggestions?
    On the one hand being a large person gives you advantages that a little skinny person will never have but learning to move correctly with fewer and fewer errors will really allow you to fully manifest your bodies potential. Being healthy, getting in shape those are great goals and have their own rewards and advantages. Now in my opinion: Start with flexibility and diet, meaning control what you eat and how much you eat, don't eat just because you can or because you are bored (like me), drink more water, our bodies do not normally get the needed water and start to mistake dehydration for hunger. Second every morning stretch every part of your body and again at night, don't be in a rush to do the splits with a leg on each chair but over time you will increase your range of motion safely and that will a be an advantage to not getting injured during your training. Work on cardio, burn off fat and continue to push past your limits just a tiny little bit at a time... ie if you can knock out 10 push ups, then tomorrow you do 11, if you can knock out 112 push ups then you do 113, push past your limits SLOWLY but consistently and in a few years you will be a Monster lol.
    ~Sami Ibrahim

Thanks

Diet, diet, diet. And I don't mean that in the way most people view "diets", ie, short term changes in eating habits. It's gotta be a LIFESTYLE change. One of the guys on here posted something about the Paleo Diet over a year ago. It's a great diet for restricting carbs and gluten, two culprits that contribute to weight gain. I'm also a fan of whole body workouts that include compound movements, like deadlifts and super sets of opposing muscle groups. What I'd suggest is:
    Deadlifts to shoulder shrugs 4 sets of a weight you can do 12 times
    Incline dumbell press 4 sets of 12 super sets w either pull ups to failure (4 sets) or over hand grip pulldowns
    Shoulder presses (4 sets of 12 again) super sets with under hand pulldowns.
    To close it out, 1-2 miles on the treadmill set at an interval of 2 minutes brisk walking and 2 minutes running or jogging.
    I did this workout every other day for two months doing fewer reps and more weight and still lost weight. Along with the Paleo Diet, you should see some results in about 4 weeks. Other people will start to notice after 8.
    I'm not an expert by any means, I'm just sharing what helped me get into better shape.
    Best of luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (08-19-2013),KenpoJuJitsu3 (08-19-2013)

Thanks

Continue to do some lifting of heavy weights, but do so explosively. Shorten the rests between sets.
    Replace some of the strength work with some long duration cardio or traditional boxing roadwork, and some with intense body weight circuits.
    This will help you with speed and endurance. You can be one of those big guys that surprises everyone with how quick they really are.

Even then, diet is still 80%-90% of the package.
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

Clean up your diet. Make workouts a habit. If you really want to get in shape, take a look at http://www.rosstraining.com/ and browse the blog, forum and articles videos. Maybe invest in his books. Ross has a zero-BS attitude, and one of his books has more information in it than others book series by other people.
    And he focuses on Martial Artists, so it's well suited for your needs.

But in the end, there is no magic bullet. You need to clean up your diet and start to do some workouts.
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links