Thread: Bnefits of visual;ization

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default Bnefits of visual;ization

Here's an interesting tidbit regarding the benefits of visualization and it's effects on body strength and conditioning from a UCLA study.

Subjects who visualized themselves going through a specific strength workout gained nearly as much strength as those who actually did it (24% versus 28%), one mind-blowing report in the North American Journal of Psychology found. More muscle means more calories burned.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (01-10-2013),Mac (12-20-2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Bnefits of visual;ization

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Here's an interesting tidbit regarding the benefits of visualization and it's effects on body strength and conditioning from a UCLA study.

Subjects who visualized themselves going through a specific strength workout gained nearly as much strength as those who actually did it (24% versus 28%), one mind-blowing report in the North American Journal of Psychology found. More muscle means more calories burned.
    I've read a study of basketball players. group 1 and 2.. both did a baseline of free-throws, then group 1 practiced for several hours each day, group 2 visualized for the same amount of time. At the end group 2 improved almost as much as group 1.

The bunny
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

Mac (12-20-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Default Bnefits of visual;ization

Which is why both are a great combination.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

EddieCyrax (03-12-2013),KirkS (03-11-2013),Mac (12-20-2013),Mr.Strobel (01-10-2013)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Of course. visualization could be of great help to your work or whatever you are doing. As it gives you a chance to have look at how you are going and make you aware of strengths and weaknesses. Which is always nice to go well in future.
    Fairways Supported Living
    182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
    Phone : +61 1300 765 051
    http://www.fairwayssupportedliving.com.au/
    Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,262 Posts

If you study any type of meditation or relaxation and then do the visualization (with as much sensory cues as you can put into it) of the techniques, you can REALLY cut down on the time it takes to get the technique into "muscle memory" on an unconscious level.

When you can self-hypnotize, your mind doesn't know the difference between the "real" practice and the "imaginary" practice.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-11-2013),Mac (12-20-2013)

Z-Rex is offline Zoran Sevic
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 607 Posts

When I was young, my friends used to complain about how I was always able to pick up a new skill as if I have already done it a few times (like snow or water skiing). My secret was a simple visualization. I would watch those that knew what they were doing and visualize my self doing exactly what they are doing. So by the time I actually did try it physically, I already did it a few times in my mind which cut back on the whole newbie experience.

I still do this in my training, especially when trying to do something new or trying to make adjustments.
    God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak.
    Unfortunantly, he gave us 2 eyes and 10 fingers, which explains the problems we get on the internet.~Zoran

Zoran "Z-Rex" Sevic | My Facebook | My YouTube Channel | Where I Teach |
    Like a T-Rex with longer arms

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Z-Rex For This Useful Post:

EddieCyrax (03-12-2013),Mac (12-20-2013),NoDak13 (12-20-2013),punisher73 (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Rex View Post
    When I was young, my friends used to complain about how I was always able to pick up a new skill as if I have already done it a few times (like snow or water skiing). My secret was a simple visualization. I would watch those that knew what they were doing and visualize my self doing exactly what they are doing. So by the time I actually did try it physically, I already did it a few times in my mind which cut back on the whole newbie experience.

I still do this in my training, especially when trying to do something new or trying to make adjustments.
    Attitude!!!
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

NoDak13 (12-20-2013)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Ok I found this to be an interesting subject and have applying it to my Kenpo training. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with this and if it was covered somewhere else my apologies. My son has been training for years to be a college baseball player, a dream of his which I admire. He has poured himself into his training like any good athlete would. He got to a point in his training where his skills just weren't up to speed at the plate. His coaches are former MLB players and they told him that this was pretty common among hitters trying to hit balls at 95mph and nothing to do with skill. They put him on a regime of visual training done with an actual optometrist that helped him slow the ball down, actually seeing it better. One thing I found interesting is that visualization training before actual hitting made his vision clearer. They encouraged him to replay his best days on the field over and over again during meditation. There was no need to beat himself over technique just to see the ball as well as possible and let you body take over. The optometrist explained in detail the debilitating affects of stress on vision. It is possible for you to be affected by momentary stress induced blindness. It worked his hitting picked up and he is playing in college as a freshman this year. This has had a great impact on my Kenpo training. I have always known that visualization and meditation are powerful tools in the martial arts but after seeing the types of things they pointed out I am definitely a believer in visual/visualization training. I am seeing things that I was never able to pick up before.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NoDak13 For This Useful Post:

Mac (12-20-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak13 View Post
    Ok I found this to be an interesting subject and have applying it to my Kenpo training. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with this and if it was covered somewhere else my apologies. My son has been training for years to be a college baseball player, a dream of his which I admire. He has poured himself into his training like any good athlete would. He got to a point in his training where his skills just weren't up to speed at the plate. His coaches are former MLB players and they told him that this was pretty common among hitters trying to hit balls at 95mph and nothing to do with skill. They put him on a regime of visual training done with an actual optometrist that helped him slow the ball down, actually seeing it better. One thing I found interesting is that visualization training before actual hitting made his vision clearer. They encouraged him to replay his best days on the field over and over again during meditation. There was no need to beat himself over technique just to see the ball as well as possible and let you body take over. The optometrist explained in detail the debilitating affects of stress on vision. It is possible for you to be affected by momentary stress induced blindness. It worked his hitting picked up and he is playing in college as a freshman this year. This has had a great impact on my Kenpo training. I have always known that visualization and meditation are powerful tools in the martial arts but after seeing the types of things they pointed out I am definitely a believer in visual/visualization training. I am seeing things that I was never able to pick up before.

Visualization is a great aid to developing martial arts skills, particularly when it comes to solo training. Most experienced Martial Artists who have seen a martial arts form/kata executed without visualization can attest that it was missing the essence. Some believe that at the end of a form if your body is not showing signs that you have just engaged multiple opponents in a life or death struggle you failed to embody the spirit of the kata. (heart racing, sweating, ending in a hyper-alert state, etc) Of course the Nei Jia or internal school of thought has a different kind of visualization, they visualize the mind guiding the internal energy or chi through the body in a continuous cycle, striving to have no breaks or disconnections of the flowing energy, externally they remain unattached but visualization is focused on what is happening inside of their bodies, occasionally guiding the energy out into a sudden external manifestation (depending on the branch). In Kenpo visualization helps with understanding what can happen as a result of the more destructive aspects of our movements. Visualization can reveal that an action we are taking is lining up our opponent's weapons to our vital points, it helps us seek the correct distance, angles and targets and appropriate depth penetration of a strike. Visualizing the internal structure of an opponent we are engaging can help us target specific organs. Seated meditation while not as good as moving mediation for the martial aspects is better for mental clarity of problems, developing strategies and getting us back to a centered calm, particularly when we are to hyped up and emotional to progress on with a dangerous task. I also advice any instructor who is having a bad day to practice seated meditation and visualize what ever is required to return to his or her center before getting hands on with instruction of students. If you do not it is possible that your being on edge causes you to put to much into an action and injure your students. I would give this advice to students training as well but honestly unless you instruct students in the How of meditation and visualization, I don't think they will understand what exactly they are doing and may very well just spend the time thinking about whatever has them agitated and work themselves up even more so. Well, just my two cents...
    ~Sami Ibrahim

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenposoldier01 For This Useful Post:

nelson (12-20-2013)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Thanks Sami for your outstanding reply! I've found the discipline of mental visualization to be extremely taxing at times. On occasion thoughts come to mind that are truly revealing to oneself and are instrumental in building or modifying an existing kata. It is remarkable that when you first execute the new moves in the flesh, after repetitive visualization it is as if you are done them for a long time. The "spirit" of the kata also comes to mind here as mentioned previously on this thread. If you are unable to discern the spirit in what you do you are merely going through the motions. You may please a lot of people with your "performance" but the ones in the know will be able to tell the difference.

For many years I did not understand and discounted the benefits of kata. I guess I was a slow learner! lol

Merry Christmas to one and all!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

Kenposoldier01 (12-20-2013)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links