Thread: Brain Health nutrition for Martial Artists?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Default Brain Health nutrition for Martial Artists?

Reference :

Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Traumatic Brain Injury

Lewis, D.M., Brain Health Education and Research Foundation, Arlington, Virginia, USA
    (The present report is filed on-site by the DHA/EPA Omega-3 Institute from the 10th Congress of the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids held in Vancouver, BC)

Summary :

Various experimental studies in cellular systems and in animal models have indicated that the long-chain omega-3 fatty acids as DHA/EPA have considerable anti-inflammatory potential. These previous studies also indicate that the high concentration of DHA omega-3 fatty acid in the brain can provide a favourable attenuation of the so-called ‘inflammatory cascade’ following brain injury. At the ISSFAL conference, Dr. Lewis (MD,MPH,FACPM) presented the clinical outcomes in a series of two dozen patients who were managed following brain injury including two stroke patients and one severe patient with severe TBI (traumatic brain injury) from a motor vehicle accident. With the exception of the latter patient, all cases (mostly with mild TBI) reported elimination of post-concussive symptoms within 48 hours after the consumption of high doses of DHA/EPA from fish oil. The one patient with severe TBI responded over a period of several months by recovering most daily functionality. The author stated in his presented material that ‘while not a drug or cure for brain injury, n-3 fatty acid(s) are a powerful tool that can be used to assist the brain to heal itself following injury’. He added that ‘given the safety profile, availability, and affordability, omega-3s should be considered for use after concussions, head trauma, and other neurologic injuries as soon as possible after injury. Finally, the following ‘omega-3 protocol for head injury’ was suggested : begin by taking 3000 mg of (DHA plus EPA) at a time three times a day (total of 9000 mg/day) for one week followed by 3000 mg taken twice daily (total of 6000 mg/day) on the second week followed by 3000 mg per day as an ongoing maintenance dose and for prevention of head injury.

Dr. Holub’s Comments :

On behalf of the DHA/EPA Omega-3 Institute , Dr. Holub interviewed Dr. Lewis at the meeting site who provided the following quotation: “It's reasonable to maintain athletes involved in contact sports on a moderate omega-3 dosage as a protective strategy during the playing season. There are some preliminary studies that clearly demonstrate that omega-3s can increase the resilience of the brain to withstand some injury and have favorable effects for improving the outcome if an injury were to occur. If a head injury does occur, our clinical experience suggests to immediately put the athlete on a much higher dosage for a week and gradually work back down to the maintenance dose as they become asymptomatic under the supervision, of course, of a healthcare provider experienced and qualified to treat concussions. Moreover, it might be a prudent strategy to have athletes such as hockey and football players who receive repetitive hits to the head take high-dose DHA plus EPA omega-3 for approximately one-month at the end of each playing season. This may decrease the amount of long term, terrible effects we're now seeing in these athletes long after they've retired from the sport."

Dr. Holub notes that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommends that the summed intake of (EPA plus DHA) not exceed 3000 mg/day while the American Heart Association advises that up to 4000 mg/day can be used via supplementation for lowering blood triglyceride levels. To date, only a few clinical trials have been conducted using doses above these latter levels such as in the recent and most interesting findings as reported at the ISSFAL conference in Vancouver by Dr. Lewis.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

jdinca (07-10-2012),KirkS (07-10-2012),MarkC (07-10-2012),nelson (07-10-2012),Thesemindz (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

I take a fish oil capsule and eat blueberries daily. They're good for overall brain health.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

Default Re: Brain Health nutrition for Martial Artists?

"A" fish oil capsule? I take enough to rattle when I walk! Actually, I take 3-4 grams a day, each capsule containing 750 mg of Omega 3's. And some other supplemts. My cholesterol and triglyceride levels are 25% and 65% lower, respectively, than they were 11 years ago.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (07-10-2012),jdinca (07-10-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    "A" fish oil capsule? I take enough to rattle when I walk! Actually, I take 3-4 grams a day, each capsule containing 750 mg of Omega 3's. And some other supplemts. My cholesterol and triglyceride levels are 25% and 65% lower, respectively, than they were 11 years ago.
    Excellent! Add resveratrol, Niacinimide, trace minerals, and a blend of A, C, & E, plus some Citrus Bioflavanoid blends and some chelated zinc and chromium piccolinate, and it'll go down further, while protecting your nervous system and vascular health through inhibition of multiple age-related inflammatory and degradative pathways! Woo-hoo!!
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

MarkC (07-10-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Excellent! Add resveratrol, Niacinimide, trace minerals, and a blend of A, C, & E, plus some Citrus Bioflavanoid blends and some chelated zinc and chromium piccolinate, and it'll go down further, while protecting your nervous system and vascular health through inhibition of multiple age-related inflammatory and degradative pathways! Woo-hoo!!
    Yes sir!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (07-10-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Yeah, the handful of supplements I take every day is plenty. I'll have to get a bigger box if I want to add more of those horse pills.

My cholesterol runs around 200 but my HDL is 125.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (07-10-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Do beer and potato chips contain any of this healthy nutrient? LOL!!
    Seriously Dr. thanks for posting this article! Do you believe that the ingestion of Omega 3 can be accomplished in other ways such as fried foods cooked in oils containing Omega 3? Do you subscribe to the use of Zeolite as a cleansing substance for the body?
    Dietary silicates have been a fad for a spell now; zeolite is just following in the footsteps of products like Microhydrin, IMO. Best way to cleanse the body? Eat fewer processed foods, increase the number of raw fruits and veggies you eat, and avoid the obvious road-kill foods we know target health like a heat seeking missile on a 747. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Paleo diets... have personally seen one guy with end-stage pancreatic cancer beat it back with a raw foods paleo approach, and another guy with full blown AIDS given weeks to live do the same. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to eat the raw sweet meats they did, but other stuff is out there to provide the obscure cell salts containd in the interstitial layers of sweet meats. Dr. Ron's Organ Delight is a favorite of mine -- no, I don't have any financial interest in the company; just seen it do good stuff for lots of different folks, with lots of different issues.

A youtube search for Dr. Terry Wahls and this other cat will provide a lot of useful context as to the source of disease via diet: http://youtu.be/_3RvWGx0AJE

Tchuss!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

KirkS (07-10-2012),nelson (07-10-2012),punisher73 (11-21-2012)

Thanks

I just cannot eat the organ meats of animals. God knows my Chinese girlfriend more than eats her share and mine too. But I can't do it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Yeah, the handful of supplements I take every day is plenty. I'll have to get a bigger box if I want to add more of those horse pills.

My cholesterol runs around 200 but my HDL is 125.
    Yeah, see that's what I gotta work on. My total number is 180, but HDL only 45. Triglycerides 105.

I take the red yeast rice, the Milk Thistle, the herbal/mineral blend for blood pressure, the B12, the magnesium, the glucosamine blend for my knee, not to mention the Advil.
    I used to laugh at people who talked about this kinda stuff...

Damn, you know guys are getting old when they start talking about this stuff.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

jdinca (07-11-2012),John Brewer (07-11-2012),KirkS (07-10-2012),nelson (07-11-2012)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings.

I also supplement the fish oil with chia seeds (extra omega-3) and lecithin granules added to foods... good source of choline for increasing acetylcholine precursors.

I've also played with nootropics... and them stuffs works!

Any other advise you guys use so I can look it up?

Thanks for the info, Dr. Dave!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (07-11-2012)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Also, the paleo diet thing is great. Looking into it seriously and will be implementing it soon.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

jdinca (07-11-2012),nelson (07-11-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    Also, the paleo diet thing is great. Looking into it seriously and will be implementing it soon.
    I know a number of people who've blended the Paleo an Zone diets. The results are pretty amazing.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (07-11-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    Greetings.

I also supplement the fish oil with chia seeds (extra omega-3) and lecithin granules added to foods... good source of choline for increasing acetylcholine precursors.

I've also played with nootropics... and them stuffs works!

Any other advise you guys use so I can look it up?

Thanks for the info, Dr. Dave!
    There's a drink made in small batches by a guy who landed a contract with Whole Foods... cherry juice, chia seeds, kombucha, some other schmutz. I hit those for alkalinization after training of to keep from getting a cold I may feel coming on. Good stuff.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Mental fitness and wellness is as important as the physical fitness in martial arts or any other sport or physical art. Both a healthy and mind and healthy body are necessary for good performance in any specific area. And both are interrelated, a healthy body has a healthy mind, but its not always true..

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

It makes sense completely basically i feel that diet and physical activties has a very deep impact on our overall stuff,If someone talks about it they can surely take their wellness to the next level.
    This sort of activities can really help us.

Nitin360 physical therapy billing codes

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Reference :

Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Traumatic Brain Injury

Lewis, D.M., Brain Health Education and Research Foundation, Arlington, Virginia, USA
    (The present report is filed on-site by the DHA/EPA Omega-3 Institute from the 10th Congress of the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids held in Vancouver, BC)

Summary :

begin by taking 3000 mg of (DHA plus EPA) at a time three times a day (total of 9000 mg/day) for one week followed by 3000 mg taken twice daily (total of 6000 mg/day) on the second week followed by 3000 mg per day as an ongoing maintenance dose and for prevention of head injury.

This is great information to share, however the article leaves out the most critical component in the story of Omega EFA's, and that is the ratio and concentrations of DHA and EPA within the mega doses - and how they correlate with other synergistic co-factors. Dr. Wallach realized these correlations while conducting a total of 17,500 animal and 3000 human autopsies over a period of 12 years, and developed treatments to support and repair neural pathways in the brain.

The ratio of DHA and EPA within the omega 3 is key, as well as the concentration because you'd want to match the fatty acid as found within the brain, which is used to support and repair neural pathways, along with the cardiovascular benefits. From a brain injury caused by a car accident to schizophrenia, the treatment would be similar.

Overall your diet and supplements play the biggest role as bad foods will hamper and rob your absorbability of good nutrients, which is why I recommend an organic liquid complete vitamin mineral complex, including the EFAs in proper ratio - every single day.

Remember, your body developed from a single cell, and grew into who you are today. Your body has the ability to heal it's self when given the proper nutritional support.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links