Thread: A 'new' Kempo school in Omaha!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Exclamation A 'new' Kempo school in Omaha!

Free At Last

The day I thought would never come is finally here. After many years of association, and many weeks of soul searching, my teacher, Shawn Steiner, has decided to leave the organization headed by Christopher Geary and run his school under his own name. I therefore present “The Steiner Academy of Martial Arts”.

Sensei Steiner was one of Christopher Geary’s first black belts, and has stuck with him through many years, some good and some quite bad. We mean no ill will towards Prf. Geary and his students, but it just became impossible to ignore the facts – Sensei Steiner was succeeding in spite of his association with Prof. Geary, not because of it. A handful of incidents, causing friction with students and parents at our location and his own, clearly demonstrated the Christopher Geary did not have the best interests of the students at heart, which is Shawn Steiner’s core value. And so it became impossible for us to continue the association with him.

I should have an official statement from Sensei Steiner later today, but I wanted to announce this great news here at kenpotalk as early as I could. We are very excited, it feels like a sunny morning after a night of storms.

Sensei Shawn Steiner can be contacted at shawnsteiner@gmail.com

-David
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: A 'new' Kempo school in Omaha!

I was just curious since I don't know that many people what system are you guys going to be associated with? like akki or ikka etc and do you guys already have a location set up and class schedules and stuff like that.

I have a brother in law who wants to finish up his masters at Creighton University and was trying to get him to start doing some type of class.
    Do you have a little bit more info you can share with us about what you have in mind for the school and that.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,368 Times in 1,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    Free At Last

The day I thought would never come is finally here. After many years of association, and many weeks of soul searching, my teacher, Shawn Steiner, has decided to leave the organization headed by Christopher Geary and run his school under his own name. I therefore present “The Steiner Academy of Martial Arts”.

Sensei Steiner was one of Christopher Geary’s first black belts, and has stuck with him through many years, some good and some quite bad. We mean no ill will towards Prf. Geary and his students, but it just became impossible to ignore the facts – Sensei Steiner was succeeding in spite of his association with Prof. Geary, not because of it. A handful of incidents, causing friction with students and parents at our location and his own, clearly demonstrated the Christopher Geary did not have the best interests of the students at heart, which is Shawn Steiner’s core value. And so it became impossible for us to continue the association with him.

I should have an official statement from Sensei Steiner later today, but I wanted to announce this great news here at kenpotalk as early as I could. We are very excited, it feels like a sunny morning after a night of storms.

-David
    And may all the best blessings of independence find you both well, and all your kempo kin!
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threwsrooth View Post
    I was just curious since I don't know that many people what system are you guys going to be associated with? like akki or ikka etc and do you guys already have a location set up and class schedules and stuff like that.

I have a brother in law who wants to finish up his masters at Creighton University and was trying to get him to start doing some type of class.
    Do you have a little bit more info you can share with us about what you have in mind for the school and that.

Thanks
    There are 3 different kempo/kenpo groups in Omaha.

Mr. Parkers, American Kenpo which I do
    Sholin Kempo which David CC does
    And a Nick Cernio( spelling) as well.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Free At Last

-David
    David,

Send Shawn my best wishes and respect
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Threwsrooth View Post

Thanks
    We have taught, and will continue to teach, material based on Shaolin Kempo. however we are now 'free' to expand on that base with things my teacher, and myself and others within our shcool, have been studying outside of it. For example we have been training in Kyusho and BJJ not to mention a good dose of various flavors of Ed Parker's kenpo too.

We do have what I consider to be probably the cleanest and most welcoming school in town, and I've visited a large percentage of the schools in Omaha in every style. We are not exactly a "new" school, my teacher has been in business since about 1998, we have been at our present location for 3 years. it is only "New" because we are newly independant! Sorry for the confusion

For now I don't believe we will be joining any organization or affiliation.

By all means have your bor-in-law stop by and meet us. And meet Brad too, he's a great guy and good competition makes us all better

We are located at 3908 North 138th street, Omaha, 402-493-4733.

What is he studtying at Creighton? We have a number of medical professionals, many Creighton alumni, currently training at our shcool.
    -David C

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,473 Posts

All the best wishes in this.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks

Free At Last

-David
    Right on.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski
    Continuing Student of the Arts.

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

As usual, I'm late Dave! Congratulations. Take it from one who has been therre. Being released from or releasing an association can be a wonderous thing. Much Good luck to you all, up there.

I hope to get up there some day soon and see you all. However, that will have to wait until I've been up to Brad Marshall's school, and bought him a beer or two.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    that will have to wait until I've been up to Brad Marshall's school, and bought him a beer or two.
    Brad is about a 5 minute drive from our school. Or you can kill 3 birds with one stone if you come to budo camp

www.budocamponline.com

You'r not late, we re just gettign started. So far mostly all Shawn has had time to do is talk to lawyers, for and against :/
    -David C

-Ed Parker Sr.

- Doc Chapel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    As usual, I'm late Dave! Congratulations. Take it from one who has been therre. Being released from or releasing an association can be a wonderous thing. Much Good luck to you all, up there.

I hope to get up there some day soon and see you all. However, that will have to wait until I've been up to Brad Marshall's school, and bought him a beer or two.
    Dan,

I will be at Mark Bundy's on the 30th of Aug, down in Cameron Mo.

2nd plug of the day, David beat me to the 1st plug.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Congratulations. Having been a lurking member of the Shaolin Kempo community on some boards, I understand some issues that may be going on. In any case, good luck and best wishes to Mr. Steiner.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Free At Last

-David
    OK Dave--

Time for an update.
    How's it going???

Hope all is well with you guys.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

What was anticipated to turn into an ugly legal battle was resolved with mediation. Sensei Steiner isn't allowed to talk about the terms of the deal but I ahve noticed that we ha dto take down our seemingly generic "Kempo Karate" sign (it was identical to the one used by Geary) and we've had to do a purge of anything with his logo on it (which we pretty much had already done); and I think there is still some money invoved but I don't know any details of that...

I've got a webiste under construction at www.steinerama.com, although I am a software developer by profession, making pretty web UI's is not my thing so it's not really awesomely cool... but it's getting better. I think the URL name is funny - it's technically Steiner AMA but if you read it is reads like "Steinerama" which is goofy but easy to remember.

Sensei Steiner is slowly changing the way we do certain techniques, it seems he has been saving up a library of 'things to do differently if I get the chance'. So, we will probably get even further away from the mainstream of Shaolin Kempo. The disucssion in the other thread about copyrights is very interesting right now. The rule of thumb we are using is that you can copyright the written expression of a technique but not the movements themselves...

Overall everyone is very happy! The students and parents fell into 2 categories: those who were excited about the change, and those who hadn't been around long enough to know the difference.

let me know what you think of the website.

thanks!
    David
    -David C

-Ed Parker Sr.

- Doc Chapel

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Brother John (08-18-2008),Dr. Dave in da house (08-18-2008),Hunter (08-18-2008)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Overall everyone is very happy! The students and parents fell into 2 categories: those who were excited about the change, and those who hadn't been around long enough to know the difference.

let me know what you think of the website.

thanks!
    David
    That is good they accepted change so easily! Evin Hunt said you guys are a good group so hopefully we will cross paths some day!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Good news - good luck with everything!!!

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

like you said previously shawn steiner was succeding in spite of his relationship with geary not because of it and i can certianly understand what you meant i am nowhere close to omaha but if i were to move there or visit there i would certianly not vists geary's school just reading his website he is the most narcisistic person i have ever read about he truly thinks he is a master wheh he had formal training from white to green belt and got his black belt by paying for it and sending a video in to a legitimate instructor and saying he had been training for 5 years or something and actually pretty much admitted to buying every rank certificate since on up to 10'th degree black belt... from what i have read atleast steiner realized his instructor was wack and started training with other people... this could be the best move he ever made for his buisness and more importantly his training... witch in turn directly effects his buisness congrad's for the change and best of luck to you and your school in the future...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Gajewski For This Useful Post:

DavidCC (08-19-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

i happened to look at the web site after replying and you mentioned that it didnt look that good or something to that effect but i have to argue and say i thought it looked very good a hell of alot better than i could have done... very nice.... the camp looks like a good time with a line up of instructors from all different styes from the martial art family....

Thanks

Thanks, I've spent a few hours lately trying to get it to look good in browsers other than IE6 :/ That's harder than teaching a TKD guy to block punches at this face.
    -David C

-Ed Parker Sr.

- Doc Chapel

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Brother John (08-19-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

its easy to teach a tkd guy to block punches coming at his face tell him to jump spin kick it...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links