Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Giant Leap... Purple!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Re: Another Giant Leap... Purple!

We must also look at the reason why the started to begin with.

Some just want a basic level of self-defense. They attain their goal and move on. There a many reasons why they may leave. It may be the instructor,It may be the student, it may be reasons that have to do with neither. All we can do is plant seeds and add fuel to the sparks.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Why people start to study, why do they leave, why do we continue to study day after day?

The reasons why people start to study are a vast as the personalities of those who do study. They may at one time found themselves in a situation that required some sort of self-defense. They may wish some type of exercise or hobby that will keep them fit. They may need some sort of fellowship, and thus reach out to a group that they feel can provide a since of belonging for them, or even help them reach a long sought after goal. Perhaps they just needed to fuel their ego.

Why people leave is just as complex. Perhaps they reached their goal of a specific belt, or a certain level of basic skill they feel is necessary in todayís world. Perhaps they donít find the answerís to their questions, or feel the school or instructor doesnít fit within their own agenda. Perhaps it has to do with finances or other personal issues away from the art all-together. We must remember that not all who study wish to be a Grand Master, or even wish the responsibility that comes with advance rank.

Then there are those who have been in the art for many, many years. What makes them stay, what makes them study, what makes them continue after they receive a set back?
    Some of us do it for commercial livelihood, some do not, some continue to search for the information, and some are happy where they are. Some may have even begin with the hope of teaching for a living and donít. Some never thought about it until they took that initial step. I once had a young boy about 5 or 6 years old ask me why BIG people needed Kenpo. I looked down at him with a slight smile and simply replied, to teach little people like you.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

John Brewer (06-30-2008),RDCParker (06-30-2008),toejoe2k (06-30-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    I once had a young boy about 5 or 6 years old ask me why BIG people needed Kenpo. I looked down at him with a slight smile and simply replied, to teach little people like you.

Awwwww, that's so cute.
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    We must remember that not all who study wish to be a Grand Master, or even wish the responsibility that comes with advance rank.
    When I was about a year into karate training back in the 90s, I used to wonder what made people leave, sometimes I just couldn't understand. "How could you stop training? Don't you see how wonderful the martial arts are?? How could you just leave this behind??? Are you a quitter?!"

I struggled for a while to understand that the martial arts are not for everybody, and not everyone who engages in training is doing it for the same reasons or with the same passions. I had to get used to seeing a lot of people come and go, and realize that sometimes life happens, and not judge those who enter or leave based on my own reasons for doing this.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (07-01-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domino3700 View Post
    When I was about a year into karate training back in the 90s, I used to wonder what made people leave, sometimes I just couldn't understand. "How could you stop training? Don't you see how wonderful the martial arts are?? How could you just leave this behind??? Are you a quitter?!"

I struggled for a while to understand that the martial arts are not for everybody, and not everyone who engages in training is doing it for the same reasons or with the same passions. I had to get used to seeing a lot of people come and go, and realize that sometimes life happens, and not judge those who enter or leave based on my own reasons for doing this.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

All above is true. Brad, thanks for waking me up... I, occasionally become a bit too focused. My primary reason for posting was to indicate that the "damned shame" portion of the commentary is not always the student's responsibility... Although, ultimately, it may be her or his "issue", those issues can be numerous.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    All above is true. Brad, thanks for waking me up... I, occasionally become a bit too focused. My primary reason for posting was to indicate that the "damned shame" portion of the commentary is not always the student's responsibility... Although, ultimately, it may be her or his "issue", those issues can be numerous.
    Its the Meds Brother, Its the Meds
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links