Thread: new website & ezine on teaching the martial arts

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default new website & ezine on teaching the martial arts

Hi all! Just wanted to let you know that my friend, Keith Pascal, has started a new website & ezine just on teaching the martial arts. You can find out more information at www.TeachingMartialArts.com. If you go to the site, you can download a free ebook on one strategy in teaching martial arts effectively.

What's the connection to Kenpo? Well, Keith's teacher is Steve Golden, who studied with Ed Parker for 7 years and earned a 2nd degree Black Belt in Kenpo. Steve also had another martial arts instructor - Bruce Lee. Yep, THE Bruce Lee.

Why is Keith writing about teaching martial arts? Well, he has a Master of Arts degree in Spanish and the Art of Teaching. He was a very successful high school teacher for over a decade and was listed in Who's Who of American Teachers.

I just thought the Kenpo instructors on the list might like to know about this new resource.

Jay Frasier

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: new website & ezine on teaching the martial arts

Hi Jay,

It sounds like an interesting and helpful resource. Will the website be developed in more detail in the future? to include more or other features? and also info and a bio of Keith.

Sometimes i find websites that only have a small amount of info but want your email and name in return a little intimidating and suspicious. I don't mean to be disrespectful, it's just my personal feelings. A lot of websites out there seem to do the same format but i do not find them very friendly or welcoming.

All the best, Mark

3. The Following User Says Thank You to uk-kenpo For This Useful Post:

jayf (01-01-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I understand. You can find out more about Keith right now at www.kerwinbenson.com including a bio and other information. If you don't mind, I'm going to forward your message to Keith to see what he says.

Jay

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jayf View Post
    Hi all! Just wanted to let you know that my friend, Keith Pascal, has started a new website & ezine just on teaching the martial arts. You can find out more information at www.TeachingMartialArts.com. If you go to the site, you can download a free ebook on one strategy in teaching martial arts effectively.

What's the connection to Kenpo? Well, Keith's teacher is Steve Golden, who studied with Ed Parker for 7 years and earned a 2nd degree Black Belt in Kenpo. Steve also had another martial arts instructor - Bruce Lee. Yep, THE Bruce Lee.

Why is Keith writing about teaching martial arts? Well, he has a Master of Arts degree in Spanish and the Art of Teaching. He was a very successful high school teacher for over a decade and was listed in Who's Who of American Teachers.

I just thought the Kenpo instructors on the list might like to know about this new resource.

Jay Frasier
    This 14 page ebook was not worth the time and rffort to download it. In my opinion it is more of an ocersized pamphlet of what evert instructor should know aleady
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

jayf (01-03-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I'll say, "thank you," for the review of Keith's ebook. However, I must respectfully disagree with your review. Maybe I've been unlucky, but at various times in my life I have taken martial arts classes with at least six different instructors in three different arts (Isshinryu Karate, Taekwondo, and T'ai Chi Chuan). Only one consistently used the principle Keith discusses in the ebook.

Maybe every instructor should know this principle already. But, just because they "know" it, does not mean they consistently use it.

The ebook is meant to more of a brief pamphlet or booklet than a "book" - after all, it is free.

Perhaps most Kenpo instructors already use the principle in the ebook. It may be more of a part of the "teaching culture" in Kenpo than in the other arts I have studied. If so, then that's great! However, I hope that folks will not dismiss all that Keith has to offer in regards to the process of teaching just because they did not learn anything new in this brief ebook.

I hope I have not offended anyone with this post. I liked Keith's ebook. But, then again, I am not a martial arts instructor. I don't mind anyone disagreeing with my opinion. I appreciate Sifu Broad expressing his opinion even though it does not "match up" with my own experience.

Respectfully,
    Jay Frasier

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Dear UK-Kenpo,

You can check out the website I already mentioned for information about Keith and his products (www.kerwinbenson.com). All of his products come with a money back guarantee and I do know that he honors that guarantee. All of his newsletters are "opt-in" and he really does stop sending you stuff if you "opt-out." I truly believe that he is a person of integrity and I expect that anyone who gets his free newsletters or who buys his products will find his information both stimulating and worthwhile.

Jay Frasier

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hi,

My name is Keith Pascal. I am the author of the teaching web site and
    ebooklet in question. If you'll permit, I have a few comments:

1. Thanks to Jay for the plug. It wasn't requested, but kind actions are always appreciated.

2. To the artist who didn't get anything out of the 'free' ebooklet thinking
    that all this stuff is just too basic. IMHO, a good teacher would recognize
    the value of the words, basic or not, and nod his (or her) head in approval.
    The fact that you didn't makes me think your cup may already be too
    full. (If so, this new site isn't for you -- no harm, no foul.)

3. Remember, to paraphrase Bruce Lee, "Absorb what is useful" to you
    from my ebooklets and site.

4. What my site is about ... I don't intend to grow it to gigantic size ... it's
    not the next mega institution looking to pitch an expensive membership.
    My expertise is teaching methodology -- I am good at teaching people how
    to teach.

I'd like to send free articles and ebooklets to martial arts teachers and
    advanced martial artists. All on the subject of teaching. I really do
    want to improve the way people teach practical martial arts ... for the
    purpose of self defense.

Now to be frank, occasionally I'll make a small pitch for reasonably
    priced information on teaching martial arts. (Especially when I have
    something new to share.)

If you aren't interested in spending a little cash to improve your teaching,
    then just take advantage of the free articles and ebooklets. That's fine.
    (And yes, I back any of my ebooks with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.)

I hope this sounds fair. I have been writing books on the Net for over
    8 years ... many find value in my writing. (And I have been studying
    martial arts for most of my life -- I am 47.)

Thank you for your time. And I hope I haven't offended.

May all your students achieve their martial goals,

Keith (Pascal)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Author of the new web site:

TeachingMartialArts.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Pascal For This Useful Post:

jayf (01-06-2008)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links