Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Martin Seck

Thread: American Kenpo Crest

Thanks

Default American Kenpo Crest

RE: American Kenpo Crest (aka: Solidarity Crest)
    I have it on good authority that this crest / patch will be offered for FREE in reasonable quantities! EPAKS is in the process of producing them as we speak. The only request is if you like one that you pay for the shipping costs.
    If you don't want to change out your main crest how about wearing the small version on your sleeve as a show of support for a united Kenpo community? I will certainly be doing that.
    I have also heard that t-shirts may be coming soon as well at a fair price!
    If you want to learn more about the new American Kenpo crest and the detailed explanation of what each symbol means please check it out at: www.epaks.blogspot.com
    You can pass on the good news by sharing this post or creating your own!
    #KenpoUnity #KenpoSolidarity #AmericanKenpoCrest2018
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Default Re: American Kenpo Crest

Woops, that website does not need the www. The correct URL is https://epaks.blogspot.com I don't recall how to edit the original post here. Maybe a mod / admin could do it for me? Thanks!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Sorry, but in my opinion that's just ugly!!! Not to mention all the BS that has gone on and now they want to do that..... I'll pass but thank you Mr. Seck for the share.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "Being a master by your own proclamation doesn't make you a master, it only makes you an arrogant"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Sorry, but in my opinion that's just ugly!!! Not to mention all the BS that has gone on and now they want to do that..... I'll pass but thank you Mr. Seck for the share.
    EPJ is fully endorsing it but it's not from Kam IV. The shape at first threw me off too but then I realized it was based on the Mr. Parker's original school in Pasadena (the sign) so I thought that was pretty cool. And I enjoyed the write up / explanation. Lots of thought went into it which is refreshing to me. I wonder how it would look on a t-shirt?
    nelson likes this.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Be careful when criticizing this new crest. A friend of mine criticized it on Facebook when Ed Parker Jr. first spoke of it and shared the crest on his page and Ed Parker Jr. blocked her.

And she didn't even say anything bad, all she said was she didn't care for it because she thought it was too plain and about 10 minutes later she was blocked.

She has the screen shots to prove it too.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,322 Posts

God forbid the sin of crest shaming!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

monk64 (05-19-2018)

Thanks

Stinks that happened, everyone is entitled to their opinions pro and against. It took me a bit to get used to it but the more I see it and read about the elements on their blog I like the thought that went into it. Not just re-use the old shape and slap a few elements in their and call it new. But ... that is just my opinion.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crouching Tiger View Post
    Be careful when criticizing this new crest. A friend of mine criticized it on Facebook when Ed Parker Jr. first spoke of it and shared the crest on his page and Ed Parker Jr. blocked her.

And she didn't even say anything bad, all she said was she didn't care for it because she thought it was too plain and about 10 minutes later she was blocked.

That's one of the main things I hate about the kenpo world. There's so much ego and whining in it. Like someone doesn't like a badge so he blocks her....what is he 12 get a grip it's a stupid badge who cares if someone doesn't like it. To me I'm in kenpo to train I have nothing to do with any politics or any of that rubbish I'm there to train nothing more

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_student View Post
    That's one of the main things I hate about the kenpo world. There's so much ego and whining in it. Like someone doesn't like a badge so he blocks her....what is he 12 get a grip it's a stupid badge who cares if someone doesn't like it. To me I'm in kenpo to train I have nothing to do with any politics or any of that rubbish I'm there to train nothing more
    KenPolitics make things tough for sure. I agree with you, do your thing and don't stress about what others are doing or saying. I had a long talk with Mr. Frank Vigoroux at dinner a few months ago and we came to the conclusion that there is too much "friendly fire" in Kenpo.
    Frank Vigoroux
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

Crouching Tiger (05-22-2018),Dr. Dave in da house (05-31-2018)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Seck View Post
    KenPolitics make things tough for sure. I agree with you, do your thing and don't stress about what others are doing or saying. I had a long talk with Mr. Frank Vigoroux at dinner a few months ago and we came to the conclusion that there is too much "friendly fire" in Kenpo.
    Frank Vigoroux
    I think it's ridiculous personally I'll happily train with anyone I don't care about lineage or rank or who they're affiliated with i. I don't wear any badges on my gi I don't want to represent anyone. I represent myself I'm there for me no one else. Is it selfish yeah maybe but martial arts isn't a team sport at the end of the day.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ma_student For This Useful Post:

Crouching Tiger (05-22-2018),Star Dragon (05-19-2018)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Agreed on there being way too much ego in EPAK. All the time, I hear instructors badmouthing other instructors for all kinds of reasons. Well, people are people... But I feel that those constant rivalries and closed-mindedness are hampering the evolution of our art.

I don't care about those tedious politics, I am only interested in the art per se. And I believe that there is something you can learn from almost anybody - even if you don't agree with all they do.

"Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, add what is uniquely your own" - Bruce Lee's famous philosophy applies to Kenpo as much as it does to JKD. Actually, some say it was directly inspired by Mr. Parker.

What is happening in EPAK though is just like in that joke: How many Kenpo teachers does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: One hundred - one to do the job and ninety-nine to object: "That's not the way Mr. Parker showed me!"

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

Crouching Tiger (05-22-2018),Martin Seck (05-22-2018),nelson (05-19-2018)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    Agreed on there being way too much ego in EPAK. All the time, I hear instructors badmouthing other instructors for all kinds of reasons. Well, people are people... But I feel that those constant rivalries and closed-mindedness are hampering the evolution of our art.

I don't care about those tedious politics, I am only interested in the art per se. And I believe that there is something you can learn from almost anybody - even if you don't agree with all they do.

"Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, add what is uniquely your own" - Bruce Lee's famous philosophy applies to Kenpo as much as it does to JKD. Actually, some say it was directly inspired by Mr. Parker.

What is happening in EPAK though is just like in that joke: How many Kenpo teachers does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: One hundred - one to do the job and ninety-nine to object: "That's not the way Mr. Parker showed me!"
    Agreed I love kenpo I do believe it's one of the best styles for self defence but I'm also training in Muay Thai bjj and Krav Maga and those styles have little of the political bs kenpo has.

tbh the only one I've seen who's really evolved kenpo from ed Parkers time is Jeff speakman with his kenpo 5.0 where he's put in grappling and boxing to it. In my opinion there's several kenpo techniques that could be removed from the system and probably would've been if Parker was still alive but everyone's to scared to make their own decisions and try and change anything. To many don't seem to understand that kenpo isn't about copying someone else.

At my school there's a guy who when techniques he's constantly comparing to other people saying things like "oh mr___ does it like this or mr___ does it like that and I just look at him and say yeah but you can do it your way kenpo is about finding your way not copying someone else's. I've got ways I do certain techniques that no one else in my club does. I stick to the base but it's a slight variation that works for me. I'll continue to do that way because it works for me simple as that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ma_student For This Useful Post:

nelson (05-20-2018)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Agreed I love kenpo I do believe it's one of the best styles for self defence but I'm also training in Muay Thai bjj and Krav Maga and those styles have little of the political bs kenpo has.
    More power to them!

tbh the only one I've seen who's really evolved kenpo from ed Parkers time is Jeff speakman with his kenpo 5.0 where he's put in grappling and boxing to it.
    Well, he evolved Kenpo in a certain direction, which is cool. I know others who developed it in other directions, e.g., by incorporating sophisticated methods of power generation. Not all of them are famous, though.

In my opinion there's several kenpo techniques that could be removed from the system and probably would've been if Parker was still alive but everyone's to scared to make their own decisions and try and change anything.
    I doubt that Mr. Parker would have removed any techniques. I see EPAK as a closed and complete system the way he created it. However, Mr. Parker knew how to perform the techniques in more sophisticated ways, than what is generally being taught. And then, even the more odd ones start making sense.

The thing is that the techniques, as written in the manuals, are mere outlines to be fleshed out by individual instructors based on their personal knowledge and experience. That said, not all advance to a level on which they can really accomplish that.

Doc and I sometimes talk about all that...

To many don't seem to understand that kenpo isn't about copying someone else.
    Agreed. And there are also those who change things before they thoroughly understood them...

At my school there's a guy who when techniques he's constantly comparing to other people saying things like "oh mr___ does it like this or mr___ does it like that and I just look at him and say yeah but you can do it your way kenpo is about finding your way not copying someone else's. I've got ways I do certain techniques that no one else in my club does. I stick to the base but it's a slight variation that works for me. I'll continue to do that way because it works for me simple as that.
    Personally, I enjoy to look at as many different versions of a technique as I can find. And sometimes, I add something that I see to the way (or one of the ways) I do a technique myself. It's true that what works for one individual may not work as well for another of a different physical and psychological makeup. Since it is your life that may be on the line if you have to use your Kenpo in a self-defence situation, it makes sense that you have a system at your disposal that you feel comfortable with. And it is one of Kenpo's greatest features that it is adaptable to the individual practitioner (rather than expecting the latter to adapt to the system).

More power to you!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (05-22-2018),nelson (05-21-2018)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post

Lol, I like that joke!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Crouching Tiger For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (05-23-2018)

Thanks

After doing a bit of research (you got me curious) it turns out that Mr. Parker is fully supporting this crest but he in fact did not create it. A team of Kenpoists via EPAKS (the Kenpo Kard people) created it. Not just one person but a "cadre". The blog was an interesting read. I am looking foward to seeing what it looks like on as a patch and a t-shirt. I heard in the spirit of unity they are giving away, for shipping costs, patches to those who will support it, wear it. IMO the integration of the flame is pretty cool and I like the unique symbolism of it too. My 2 cents.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Lol, I like that joke!
    Yeah, an oldie but a goodie for sure!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (05-23-2018)

Thanks

I think it's ridiculous personally I'll happily train with anyone I don't care about lineage or rank or who they're affiliated with i. I don't wear any badges on my gi I don't want to represent anyone. I represent myself I'm there for me no one else. Is it selfish yeah maybe but martial arts isn't a team sport at the end of the day.
    Ditto, I'm happy to train with anyone willing to share. And I do agree at the end of the day martial arts is about your personal development / journey.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (05-23-2018)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

...but everyone's to scared to make their own decisions and try and change anything.
    Paul Mills, Skip Hancock and Ron Chapel were doing their own thing and making adaptations and improvements to their art long before Speakman. Just saying.
    "But it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward... How much you can take and keep moving forward - that's how winning is done!"

Jay "Dirty Irish" Creel
    Southside Combat Club - Mobile, Alabama
    http://www.facebook.com/SouthsideCombatClub

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DirtyIrish For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (06-18-2018),Star Dragon (06-06-2018),Yondanchris (1 Week Ago)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links